generic hid projectors

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Matts96HB

VIP
I picked up a set of OEM EM1 (99-00) Si headlights for my hatch.
I'm wanting to do it right this time, and do a projector retrofit so i dont blind others (went back to halogens in the current setup), my question is this, has anyone ever tried the generic projectors found on ebay?
here's a link:
2 x Bi Xenon HID Headlight Bulb Projector Lens H4 6000K: eBay Motors (item 250645278964 end time Jun-07-10 21:37:32 PDT)

im not sure if i trust these to be true hid projectors, and i dont want to get halogen projectors because i know those exist too.

opinions, thoughts, criticisms, etc welcome.

I'd be worried about the quality of the ebay projectors. The housing looks plastic while OE ones are usually metal. Also, who knows the cutoff of the ebay projectors.

thats kind of what i was figuring, how exactly is a cutoff determined anyway?

Usually, the sharper the cut-off, the better. Also, the cutoff on the driver's side is usually lower than passenger side; I'm not sure if the ebay's take this into account.

Here's a picture of a proper cutoff line:
bbbbbml1.jpg

wow, that actually looks really good. it seems like hid's are useless without the projectors.
ive had a set of hids on stock headlights and none were ever even close to that bright.

think im better off with those stock BMW projectors then?

I guess so. There are HID's for reflective lens but it's a different bulb(cut-off plate is actually built into the bulb IIRC) and requires a specific reflector design and len.

yeah i think id rather just do a retrofit on the headlights i have.

anyone have any better recommendations for the projectors other than the bmw stuff? seems like that might be kind of a PITA to wire up..?

TSX? Murano?

Wiring shouldn't be an issue; wire the projectors to the ballast and the ballast get power from your old light bulb wires.

I found a set from the Murano on there. $100 plus shipping.
I'm trying to stay right in that price range so that might be an option.

I see a lot of different sizes on ebay, ranging from 2.5" to 3". is this going to make much of a difference in sight on the road? what exactly does the size affect?

Looks, maybe? Most of the OE HID units looks like it's already pretty wide and no hot spots.

Don't forget the ballasts!

OE ballasts? or can i use an aftermarket "kit"? i would like to try something as close to pure white as possible, since that is going to give me the best sight..

You can use aftermarket but generally OE is of course, higher quality(starts up faster, etc.)

Back