Generic Tri-Y headers?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

So, what do yall think about the O2 bungs being on the side on these headers? Seems like it would really increase the chances of a broken O2 sensor, from say a bouncing rock thrown up by an 18 wheeler or something.

the Type R doesn't sit any lower than the b16.... the header is still the same size, and so is the head.
if anything, the shorrter block deck height in the b16 would make the header sit lower to the ground.

fixed

:D

i ran my wideband side-mounted like that as it wouldn't clear the top of the car. never had an issue.

you can get 2 $175 ones for the cost of the more expensive one. and it doesn't look like it hangs too too low.

i'd say get the cheapo. if you smash it, get the 350 one with the skid plate later.

most tracks aren't too full of pot holes, or have driveways, etc to hit. i think you'll be ok with a little bit hanging. your car doesn't ride to too low.
I do have to worry about getting on and off the trailer though.

Magana,
Let me know when you get yours installed (hopefully soon) and take some pics.

Why would it sit lower in a b18c5 vs a b18c1? Same deck height, unless the exhaust ports are at a different height from the bottom of the head?

ITR vs GSR is exactly the same. The b18 blocks are taller though. So a b18 header is usually longer. A b16 header can fit on a b16 but it's going to be a tighter fit on the oil pan. And even then, only a 4-2-1 b16 header would fit the b18, 4-1 that's made for b16 won't fit. That said the 350 header looks to be made for b16 but still fits b18 because of the design. I'm pretty sure it says you have to trim some bracket or something to fit it on the b18 block.

If you're gonna cheap out, I say go for the 350 header. Looks to at least be aimed at performance than cheap.

the gsr doesn't sit any lower than the b16.... the header is still the same size, and so is the head.
if anything, the shorrter block deck height in the b16 would make the header sit lower to the ground.

Yes spot on, I would smash my header all the time with the B16 in the teg. Now that I have the B18 in it again I never hit, even on the big speed bumps.

I do have to worry about getting on and off the trailer though.

Magana,
Let me know when you get yours installed (hopefully soon) and take some pics.

Why would it sit lower in a b18c5 vs a b18c1? Same deck height, unless the exhaust ports are at a different height from the bottom of the head?

I should get it on by next week. As long as I get it before Friday it should be on by sat.

These headers are made to be a universal fit. All B series. B18c5 and b18c1 are the same deck height.

ITR vs GSR is exactly the same. The b18 blocks are taller though. So a b18 header is usually longer. A b16 header can fit on a b16 but it's going to be a tighter fit on the oil pan. And even then, only a 4-2-1 b16 header would fit the b18, 4-1 that's made for b16 won't fit. That said the 350 header looks to be made for b16 but still fits b18 because of the design. I'm pretty sure it says you have to trim some bracket or something to fit it on the b18 block.

If you're gonna cheap out, I say go for the 350 header. Looks to at least be aimed at performance than cheap.

Again these headers are made to be a universal fit. my header will fit on a B16 or a B18 no prob.

***B18C motors will require to shave down a small tab on the block for the headers to fit properly. Very easy to do and will not take long. We recommend using a dremel, or a file will work also.***

you trailer has a full ramp, in the center?
No, two ramps for each side of the car. The ramps are not very long and the jack for the trailer doesn't lift it that high. In fact I need to use my floor jack under the trailer jack to get it high enough so there isn't such a sharp angle where the ramps meet the trailer. If I don't, I can't even get the car on there. lol. I guess I really only need to worry about the center of the car, high centering.

I hit your link....I think they are all out of the smaller tube right now and only have the "B20" size

Even better, Both cars will be running high comp so bigger tube = better flow.

My tuner recommended the "big tube" header anyway.

It's not always better. By your philosophy, why not just run 3" primaries... That's why I had my header custom built for the engine. The bigger is better philosophy doesn't apply to headers unless you actually need it. Don't get the 2.0 header unless you are running a 2.0 setup. Hold out for the proper header.

So my tuner is wrong? gee, I guess I better take the advise of some random guy on the internet then the person who tuned my engine. This header has been proven to make about 14whp above most.

If you would just take a look at the header its not going to be a big tube all the way out.

Plus a 1.8 @ 11.6:1 comp with a P&P head is going to produce the same if not more exhaust gases than a B20 with bolt on's. B16's build is going be be using CTR pistons and E85.

Ian,
I'm not looking to spend another $400 for 1-3hp over a specially tuned header on this car. ;)

I have a very specific hp goal of 220fwhp for my class. I wonder how much these may make over a JDM DC header? I think I should tune this pile first to see where I land. Unless Magana wants to come to the bay and let me borrow that header of his to see how it works out.. haha

this might be a silly question but do you really need aheat shield on the headers? and can any thing bad happen from having it off?? just like to settle a dispute

Ian,
I'm not looking to spend another $400 for 1-3hp over a specially tuned header on this car. ;)

I have a very specific hp goal of 220fwhp for my class. I wonder how much these may make over a JDM DC header? I think I should tune this pile first to see where I land. Unless Magana wants to come to the bay and let me borrow that header of his to see how it works out.. haha

ha ha I would if i had the time and money or if you lived closer than 150+ miles away....one way lol.

So my tuner is wrong? gee, I guess I better take the advise of some random guy on the internet then the person who tuned my engine. This header has been proven to make about 14whp above most.

If you would just take a look at the header its not going to be a big tube all the way out.

Plus a 1.8 @ 11.6:1 comp with a P&P head is going to produce the same if not more exhaust gases than a B20 with bolt on's. B16's build is going be be using CTR pistons and E85.
not me (though ive done lots of research on the subject), but maybe Dave Stadulis. who obviously knows more about header design than you or your tuner...

my engine is a 11.8:1, portflow ported GSR head, sk2 stg2 cams (old ones), and stock bottom end (jdm itr p73-00 pistons) and put down 215whp (with SMSP header). guess what, Dave built me a 1.8l header.

saying X engine puts out the same exhaust gasses as Y engine is pure speculation without facts. plus theres a lot more to account for than volume anyway.

Mike, a goal of 220whp should be attainable with a decent header, headwork and good cams. i dont remember what cams you were gonna run, or if you were doing any headwork (i think i remember a stock type r head?), so even with your CR and E85, youll have your work cut out for you i think. if you are thinking about cams still id look at some sk2 pro2's. nice big primary/secondary lobes, as well as the vtec lobes.

what class are you trying to run in again? H1? or H2? everyone is so secretive about their power in H1 lol.

I've got a set of Blox HSL competition cams which are supposed to be similar to the skunk2 pro1's? large primary lobes and a skunk2 stg2/3? type vtec lobe. I haven't seen many dyno's of people running this cam; so I'm not sure. Stock R head; no head work.

I'm running in TTB; no HC yet. Infact; the car might end up entering into the Enduro E0 class instead of HC in 2012. Wanted to do some time trials for a year or so to get the car dialed in and have fun with it. Here is the specifics of what I can do; I'm afraid I can't make a low enough weight if I make less power.

"At 2395 lbs minimum weight and 220 fwhp max, you would have a TTB base classing. Your base tire size would bump to 265mm, so you would get 10 points credit on 225's. At 215 fwhp, you could drop to 2340 lbs. "

Back