Genetics and Eye Color?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

brown is the most dominant eye color. but, its pretty difficult to what you're gonna get because it seems like the OCA2 gene can be regulated at different levels, therefore color hues vary. also, as you may know, you get a copy from mom and a copy from dad. its hard to say which one of two the copies you'll get from each unless you get a pedigree.

to put it short, it could be you got two recessive genes that couldve caused a mutation in the OCA2 sequence and produced your eye color.

:werd:

Whoever said that blue was dominant needs to take a biology class.

Example... I know my bloodline for the last 1200 years. There has been NO mixing until my generation. We all have brown eyes. Even though my wife has hazel eyes, there is NO chance in hell (barring mutation, then all bets are off) that our children will have anything but brown eyes. Now our grandchildren- that's a different story. Since my kids will have a recessive eye color gene embedded in their personal genomes, their kids will have a chance at having a recessive eye color if they have children with someone else that carries a recessive eye color gene.

geneotype and phenotype, if I remember biology class correctly.

Example... I know my bloodline for the last 1200 years. There has been NO mixing until my generation. We all have brown eyes. Even though my wife has hazel eyes, there is NO chance in hell (barring mutation, then all bets are off) that our children will have anything but brown eyes. Now our grandchildren- that's a different story. Since my kids will have a recessive eye color gene embedded in their personal genomes, their kids will have a chance at having a recessive eye color if they have children with someone else that carries a recessive eye color gene.

I'm afraid its more complicated than that. There are in fact three genes that control eye color and a slew of modifiers that affect it as well. Two of those genes are used in that simplified biological model that you are talking about. I learned that model in biology as well, but soon came to notice that it was highly inconsistent .

Scroll down for the info on eye color:
Exceptions to Mendel

I'm afraid its more complicated than that.

Oh, don't worry... I know it's WAY more complex than what I put forth- but seriously- 1200 years of family history- it's going to take more than one generation of mixing to get rid of the brown eyes. :)

Oh, don't worry... I know it's WAY more complex than what I put forth- but seriously- 1200 years of family history- it's going to take more than one generation of mixing to get rid of the brown eyes. :)

Give me a few of your women, I'll start the tedious process.

Well off topic here, but since you already made one correction on that person's post for me I'll make the other correction. In their defense they said blue eyes "dominate" not dominant which i'm pretty sure is what they meant to say

Well off topic here, but since you already made one correction on that person's post for me I'll make the other correction. In their defense they said blue eyes "dominate" not dominant which i'm pretty sure is what they meant to say

Yes, but the original question was about genetic inheritance, alluding to dominant and recessive genes. In either case, he was incorrect. Brown eyes are dominant over lighter colors, and in numbers around the world, brown eyes also dominate. There are a LOT more people in the world with brown eyes than other colors.

:ufucktard:

Nowhere in any of the discussion did this topic go near that. Projecting much are we?
Hahaha. I completely forgot I made that post.

My mother, father and all 3 of my siblings have hazel eyes while mine are brown. I'm not educated on this topic, but I bet the mailman had brown eyes :(

Yes, but the original question was about genetic inheritance, alluding to dominant and recessive genes. In either case, he was incorrect. Brown eyes are dominant over lighter colors, and in numbers around the world, brown eyes also dominate. There are a LOT more people in the world with brown eyes than other colors.

yea, i was scrolling through and waiting for someone to correct ahhvtec. mutation aside, family history has alot to do with eye color. or at least the base color.

and blanco, you must've been stoned out of your gourd when you took that pic! your pupils are huge

Back