Genuine leather wallet=black crap all over cards?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

As much as I like carhartt and wear it for construction, I'd have a tough time rocking it. I can see it now, pull it out at bar, automatically everyone thinks I'm a huge fucking hick.

Not like my georgiaromeo's don't do that already.

I have had this wallet:
- Trifold #89090766
for 10 years now. The leather has never shed any dye, it's been through the washing machine countless times, hunting trips, dropped in a creek, it's worn holes through more back pockets than I can count, and the stitching is all intact, there is hardly any wear on the leather, it just gets really broken in and takes a shape around it's contents. Probably the best $20 I've ever spent.

bacon-wallet.jpg

I have a Picard leather wallet that I bought about four years ago. It's a bi-fold with two money compartments, 8 card slots, an ID flip, two pockets under the cards, and a coin-pocket.

Yeah...looks like I'll be heading to the mall this weekend for a new wallet. I could ask my aunt though; she works at Macy's!

Though, are there any good/reputable brands? This is assuming some items may just be "rebadged" cheap stuff.
I have a wallet I picked up at Kohl's for cheap. I've had it for years, still looks good, no black crap, but of course I doubt it's real leather.

What are these paper wallets you guys are talking about?

i made mine out of a tyvek envelope i grabbed from the post office

tyvek priority mail envelope.... they come in red or blue... i used the red one for this
attachment.php

made a basic tri-fold wallet design
attachment.php

i cut 3 vertical card slots inside
attachment.php

the way i folded it gave me pockets at either end... i keep business cards and such in these
attachment.php

main pocket... i usually just put extra cards and receipts in here... i never carry cash in my wallet
attachment.php

the empty wallet folded into its tri-fold configuration is less than 1/16" thick... loaded with my stuff (10 plastic cards/IDs, 8 paper/business cards) its only 1/2" thick... super thin, super lightweight... barely notice its there... the leather wallet that i replaced with this was over twice as thick (1-1/8") loaded with the same stuff

no glue or tape was used other than the adhesive tab on the envelope itself... and that seam is unstressed... you can see where it is in the last pic... its where the horizontal type is inside the main pocket...

tyvek is tear resistant, and all of the edges, except where i cut the vertical card slots, are folded double layers... ive tried ripping it and couldnt... tyvek is some pretty tough shit...

been using it for a little over a month... it is wearing pretty well so far

and it was free :)

when i remake the next one i might get some of the thicker Tyvek "house wrap" from a contractor friend of mine and make it from that... depends on how long this one lasts

Attachments

• 0131110007.jpg
    0131110007.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 736
  • 0131110008.jpg
    0131110008.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 712
  • 0131110009.jpg
    0131110009.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 741
  • 0131110011.jpg
    0131110011.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 724
  • 0131110012.jpg
    0131110012.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 713
As much as I like carhartt and wear it for construction, I'd have a tough time rocking it. I can see it now, pull it out at bar, automatically everyone thinks I'm a huge fucking hick.

Not like my georgiaromeo's don't do that already.

Carhartt is becoming more of an everyday clothing line rather then "the working mans" clothes. They make some really nice every day clothes. I don't think hick when i see carhartt

Went to the CT Boat Show yesterday and I would say at least 200-300 people were wearing something Carhartt, yes i was one of them and so was my buddy i went with.

One of the vendors asked me what Carhartt was because all he saw now was people wearing Carhartt. It's becoming very popular fore everyday people.

It's a boat show. Fucking redneck yacht club? Heard the song?

ANd yeah it's gaining steam but I guarantee if you go to a metropolitan, white collar neighborhood, and its non-existant.

tyvek priority mail envelope.... they come in red or blue... i used the red one for this
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

the way i folded it gave me pockets at either end... i keep business cards and such in these
attachment.php

main pocket... i usually just put extra cards and receipts in here... i never carry cash in my wallet
attachment.php

the empty wallet folded into its tri-fold configuration is less than 1/16" thick... loaded with my stuff (10 plastic cards/IDs, 8 paper/business cards) its only 1/2" thick... super thin, super lightweight... barely notice its there... the leather wallet that i replaced with this was over twice as thick (1-1/8") loaded with the same stuff

no glue or tape was used other than the adhesive tab on the envelope itself... and that seam is unstressed... you can see where it is in the last pic... its where the horizontal type is inside the main pocket...

tyvek is tear resistant, and all of the edges, except where i cut the vertical card slots, are folded double layers... ive tried ripping it and couldnt... tyvek is some pretty tough shit...

when i remake the next one i might get some of the thicker Tyvek "house wrap" from a contractor friend of mine and make it from that... depends on how long this one lasts

how did you initially fold it?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Ive one upped you.

No wallet.

Just throw the cards in my pocket, next to my keys. I dont carry business cards, and receipts usually fit in another pocket. If I carry cash, I fold it up and pocket it.

ANd yeah it's gaining steam but I guarantee if you go to a metropolitan, white collar neighborhood, and its non-existant.
In Norway, Carhartt is sold alongside really high end fashion. Carhartt is expensive and well made, so in colder climates it is considered very fashionable. However since everyone in Alaska wears carhartt because they are tough and well insulated, they do have that working class stigma.

how did you initially fold it?

i made another one so i could get a pic of the basic template for you

here ya go

this pic shows the main cuts and folds
attachment.php

all that is really left at this point is to cut the card slots in, fold it all up together, and seal the adhesive strip... then just fold it in thirds and your wallet is done

Attachments

• 0131111316.jpg
    0131111316.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 676
Maybe this is better than no wallet. I do live near a post office.

if anyone wants it i can make another one and get more detailed step by step pics and put together a how to

Back