1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Get bent!

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by n1mr0d, May 23, 2005.

1. n1mr0d

n1mr0d Senior Member

Ok so I was driving down the highway today with my B18C Sir G in third gear. I got to the rev limiter point (8500 I think) and went to shift to 4th but missed and shifted into 2nd. As I let the clutch out I noticed that I had done something wrong because of the car lerching forward and the engine did not decelerate. Within a tenth of a second that I let the clutch out I stepped in on it and looked down at the tach. It was coming down from 9k. After that, the car did not have the acceleration that it normally does and while I was coasting in neutral and I step on the gas it did not rev as quickly as it used to. So I got off at my exit which was a half mile away and drove home 2 more miles. I also noticed that at the stop light the engine would die if I was not revving it. When I tried to restart it, she was having difficulty turning over. So who can confirm that I bent the valves. I am going to pull the valve cover tomorrow to check timing and compression but I wanted to see if anyone else has a suggestion or has had the same problem and knows for sure what was needed to resolve it. Also it's not leaking any fluids so I don't think it's a head gasket issue.

2. VTECin5th

VTECin5th Administrator

word, bent valvos sorry dude.
    [lol civicious]

3. B16RacerN2NR

B16RacerN2NR Working Hard VIP

maybe because your have an SiR 2 B18C :ph34r:

but to answer your question...sounds like you floated a valve from over revving. oh well, now is a good reason to pull the head, get it ported, throw in some stiffer springs w/retainers, more aggressive cams, and a Skunk2 Manifold. :D

EDIT: Will, now you know everyone wants to know what you posted, so just let us all know :p

4. civicious

civicious FüK-VTEC VIP

The matter has been discussed privately in PM's with n1mr0d, and has essentially been taken care of.

More than likely you bent most (if not all of) his valves, and there's a pretty good chance you busted some valve guides, too. If, in fact, you DID bust any valve guides, you'd be better off just buying a new head. You can get one for relatively cheap from Hmotors.

5. APACHE

APACHE Junior Member

I did that before but I was trying to shift to 5th gear and went to 3rd instead. It shoot to 9 grand and I shift to 5th and keep it moving. I prayed all day that I hope I didn't break anything. I was lucky...

6. formby

formby learning in progress

i did that too but i did not feel any difference...

what are some symptoms of bent valves?

7. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

hmmm, could have just jumped time...

well, hopefully it just jumped time
    lol

8. n1mr0d

n1mr0d Senior Member

Yes this is also possible although luck would have to be on my side. I hope to pull the head by thurs and we will know for sure.

9. civicious

civicious FüK-VTEC VIP

Doubt it.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted