getting a boat

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

corvetteguy78

VIP
my buddy and i are picking up something to go fishing in....got tired of shore fishing and since we go so much it was time for a boat...nothing crazy...just something to get us in the lakes and rivers....

gonna go look at this ...if not this one...it will be some sort of jon boat...or possibly a bass tracker hopefully in the next week

Jon Boat with trailer

1994 Bass Tracker

What can you afford, I got a buddy that has his dads boat after he died, a full bass boat already set up, but in MA.

Also...think about kayak fishing.

I just sold my 17ft V hull bass tracker yesterday for $2500. I just didnt use it enough. I dont know what kind of fishing you are planning on doing exactly, but keep in mind horsepower isnt everything. For bass fishing on smaller water, the little tiller jon boat is great.

We want to be able to get up and down the Ct River and troll for stripers and also hit the big lakes for bass fishing....i'm leaning more toward the a bass tracker type boat because he is 260lbs and i am 210 and i think the jon boat won't be as supportive/stable as far as weight and all teh gear,..

Plus I grew up on a bass tracker 16FT, my dad had one for years until he got the 30 Foot cabin cruiser and i loved driving that boat.

I can't do kayak fishing, i need to be able to move around. I've developed a fear of tight spaces these days in my old age.

We are looking at around the 3000 range, possibly a few hundred more....

The Jon is too small for you too. Check the wieght rating on it then factor in your gear and the motor, etc. The Bass tracker would be a better boat for you. I bet it would take the waves a lot better.

as long as you realize ahead of time that owning a boat is just like dumping your money into the water
the 2 happiest days in a boat owners life, the day he gets it, and the day he sells it
just some personal experience for you to think about

BOAT = break out another thousand

Last edited:
as long as you realize ahead of time that owning a boat is just like dumping your money into the water
the 2 happiest days in a boat owners life, the day he gets it, and the day he sells it

Lmao

BOAT = break out another thousand

yeah like i said i grew up with boats, we had a total of 4 growing up....i know the pains of owning one which is why we are not looking to spend alot of money on one. if we can get a good couple of years of fishing out of a 3k boat with no major problems we'll consider it a good investment...if it turns out we use it allot we can sell it and get something better, if needed.

i definately don't think the 14' Jon Boat is going to work now. it has a weight capacity of 555lbs total with engine, battery, gas tank, gear and people.

Definately now thinking a bass tracker, or an aluminum boat like a Lowe or Lund boat will suit our needs and purposes better(and weight).

the bass tracker looks fun
remember boat price is high right now.

in 10 years you're going to need a mortgage to pay for the gas for a day trip in a boat that size

in 10 years you're going to need a mortgage to pay for the gas for a day trip in a boat that size

well of course I will have to see where life has taken me at that point in time, if it works out it works out, if not then no biggie, thats just what i want in the future, assuming there is a future :eek:

Chris Craft are great boats. :thumbsup:

Love the B.O.A.T. acronym. I can contest to the loses.....and gains :wink: of having a boat.

On the lakes you will be on.....how choppy can the water get on a windy day? White caps?

I've been in a John Boat like that and it seemed a little more stable to stand up in the front of the boat (in comparison to v-hulls of the same length that we putted around the marina with). getting out of it and onto a houseboat was easier (especially after a half a dozen cervezas)

Two big boys, ice chest(s), gas, and all the gear in the boat.....thats some weight

But V-hulls are more comfortable for the tough crappy water you go through. Whether its a windy day or coming back to the trailer late morning with all the wakebaorders/tubers/skiers/etc. Fighting through all that crap in a little boat takes a toll on me. But.....some lakes are worse than others. The Delta (here in CA) has a bunch of fingers that have tullies on the banks and they just dampen all the waves....perfect for wakeboarding all day. But Lake Oroville (up north) gets nasty white caps with 6-10mph and its a fight with anything under 25ft long. Add some recreational boaters.....its a kidney jerker.

You may have calm lakes and such.....or stay away from lakes during the busy months (which are 5-7 months in CA).

I have buddy who competes in bass tournaments and their boat is pretty fast....with a hot foot. But...at $100/hp.....outboards can be crazy expensive. Just be careful and weight the age of the motor. The John Boat.....is the motor newer? I am guessing smaller but...as you know, there's more to it than the hp #. The Bass Tracker.....it looks like an older 2-stroke but my knowledge of outboards isn't that extensive. In CA, you could only buy (new) 4-stroke outboards for around a decade now....smog smog smog.....oh bother (eor)

a3f7142b.jpg

Here's the only photo I can find, but he was wanting somewhere in the $3500 range. Interested, I'll give you his PM info.

if you got a boaters lic, all I need to do is register the big yak, but you can use it.

might be bigger than you were looking for but its an interesting concept
we have a glastron SSV (super stable v hull) fish&ski
its a normal 17 foot bowrider, but then if you remove the rear sundeck cover it has a metal hole for a pedestal seat, and the front, you flip the seat cushions to opposite sides, upside down, so its carpeted wood, and then add in a center piece for your front pedestal seat
originally it even had a mount and complete setup for a trolling motor in the front, with a total of 3 battery capacity in the rear, 1 for engine 2 for motor.

good for fishing, good for cruising/ski'ing etc, but not great for either i suppose

Last edited:
Back