Getting a Durango ?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Celerity

I'm putting my foot in an attempt to get a really cheap, if not free, 97 Durango. It's the 318 V8, but of course it's automatic.

I refuse to own an automatic.

It'll be free if it's sold with the trans that's in it (It's going to hell). So I want to swap out. I'm thinking the 435 trans will attach to the bell housing, and if not getting a bell made isn't so tough. Then it's pedals from the Dakota and away I go.

Anyone know anything about the newer (But not the newest) 5.2 V8s ? Can I get a flywheel for them ? Are they totally different than the Ram engines ?

-> Steve

Exactly the same:
98-00 Durango
98-99 Dakota
98-01 Ram 1500
98-01 Ram Van
98 Grand Cherokee

Older and newer have the same longblocks..manifolds, oil pans, wiring are different.

I'm 98% sure that the 5.9 flywheels are the same

and, yeah, there are 4x4 Dakotas with 5.2's w/5 speeds

also, its gotta be a 98...thats the 1st year of the Durango :)

This guy was with me at the auto show, he ordered his then and there. It's marked as a 97 Durango. It's got the 98 interior with all the toys, no trim markings (It's not labelled SXT, SX or what have you), 3 row seats and beige interior. Running boards and the market larger wheels. 4WD of course.

It's kinda neat, it's also got 120k on it.

it gets 22 highway and 18 city. 18 highway towing about 3000 lbs, which will be part of it's new duty.

"The brat would be perfect if it was capable of carrying something."

-> Steve

Built in 97...

Official 1st model year is 98

This one gets the mileage claimed - my friend's 2000 gets 19mpg highway and my friends 02 (or 04) gets 22 mpg highway. Both get like 17/15ish combined.

The Durango isn't a gas miesr by any stretch, but it's not the worst out there. Shit like excursions and broncos and the like.. getting 9.

as far as cost, it should be noted that the vehicle will be coming to me for less than $1000, or I won't take it. The Brat was free, which means that even at 22 mpg (If it gets what the Loyale gets) it will be economical at all times.

Like I said before... pick a car and keep it...

And the 5 speed swap is fairly straightforward.

Quoted post[/post]]
This one gets the mileage claimed - my friend's 2000 gets 19mpg highway and my friends 02 (or 04) gets 22 mpg highway. Both get like 17/15ish combined.

The Durango isn't a gas miesr by any stretch, but it's not the worst out there. Shit like excursions and broncos and the like.. getting 9.
Yea they aren't bad on gas. My neighbor has one he uses to drive down to NC a few times a year. He loves what it can carry and the mpg he gets. You just got to drive it like you want some economy out of it.

First.... 318s are the single greatest motor that Mopar has produced in about 40 years... because THEY HAVE BEEN PRODUCING IT FOR 40 YEARS!!! well they did until 2002.

Second the swap is easy, but... slightly annoying, that god damn crossmember sucks my back.

Third.... BOOOST it. there is a 2WD durango that lives close with a 360 and a Procharger running VERY nicely... and she still rocks 20mpg on the highway. She as in the driver.... MUHAHAHAHAHAH!

Jealous? Of what?

Brat? Nope.
Loyale? Yeah Right.
Neon? I miss mine, but not enough to be jealous of one.
1g CRX? No Thanks...
EF Hatch? ehh... Not my thing.
1982 Honda Motorcycle? I didnt think anybody actually owned any of them.
EDIT: Forgot about the NX You stripped to nothing to get "overhaulin'd", but never heard anything else of it.

If you actually had cars that were worth more than $500, i MIGHT CONSIDER actually even saying WOW... But like... Your cars... Nope.

damn, he put it all out there...i was about to ask what # this is for you.

and did you sell the NX?

my brother has an 03 durango SLT.
its nice. its got the 4.7L V8 and she shits and gits...
it isnt bad on gas for a V8
but I wouldnt buy any SUV with gas prices now.
Im gettin a diesel. off road diesel fuel=2.69 a gallon :ph34r:

Back