Getting a gamer comp FINALLY!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CiViC_SOHC

Well my dad informed me that they want another computer upstairs so they are taking my dell. He told me to get on dell to find a gamers PC and I told him there isn't any dell that is a good gaming PC. So he told me to go on another site (its a local place around here) and this is what I am getting. Cheap Gaming PC
I am getting the upgraded video card and a bigger harddrive and 1G RAM. All in all its only about $718. And I am picking it up so there is no shipping. Not bad for a gaming PC I have to say...I had just bought this damn 1G stick for this Dell as well lol...GRR O well.

You're falling into a trap - and the worst part is you're excited about it.

AGP is old tech. 718 bucks is a decent price, but you'll be screwed if you ever want to upgrade. Just like with your Dell.

Quoted post[/post]]
You're falling into a trap - and the worst part is you're excited about it.

AGP is old tech. 718 bucks is a decent price, but you'll be screwed if you ever want to upgrade. Just like with your Dell.
what? Did you check the other comps they had...Im upgrading the video card also...Look at the Left side and hit complete hardware or whatever...and click on the AMD gamer is that better? Its PCI-express

The one you linked to is AGP. I assumed you were getting the one in the link.

I wouldn't get anything that isn't PCI-Express. What card are you upgrading to?

That's crap. That's the AGP one. That video card is bullshit too.

It's a little more money, but I'd get this one: AMD Comp

It's way better. Do you have your own copy of Windows? If not don't forget to add it.

Quoted post[/post]]
That's crap. That's the AGP one. That video card is bullshit too.

It's a little more money, but I'd get this one: AMD Comp

It's way better. Do you have your own copy of Windows? If not don't forget to add it.
lol thats the second one I was gonna get...I dunno ill talk to my dad and step mom becuase they are the ones buying it....We sold the other house and we are just waiting on the money now...im gonna get a copy of XP professional from my friend for free so I don't need operating program..

Ah, I see.

I would definitely spend the little bit extra and get the AMD system. My 3700+ with 1GB PC3200 absolutely flies. I'll be clocking it up to 4000+ speed sooner or later. And with the 7800GT card, I run WoW at 1280x1024 with all graphics options on and the only lag I get is on the server's end.

Quoted post[/post]]
Ah, I see.

I would definitely spend the little bit extra and get the AMD system. My 3700+ with 1GB PC3200 absolutely flies. I'll be clocking it up to 4000+ speed sooner or later. And with the 7800GT card, I run WoW at 1280x1024 with all graphics options on and the only lag I get is on the server's end.
my step mom just said to make sure the motherboard works with the upgrades and stuff and make sure I have a fan on the actual motherboard and it is fine. She said thats how they get around the warrenties I guess...if you don't get a fan on the card they can void the warrenty...So they will probably buy it...I wonder what that warning is..it says all the vid cards are AGP..yet they are listed as PCI-E

ill sell you your own copy of xp with sp2 and your own legit serial for 25 shipped.

You have no clue do you?

slow down and make some smart choices. you might be better off with an amd hp or something.

Quoted post[/post]]
ill sell you your own copy of xp with sp2 and your own legit serial for 25 shipped.

I hope your not talking about a copy of a corporate edition or some other non legal version to resale.

Quoted post[/post]]
soyo boards suck.

in fact, i can't find one "gamer" quality system on their website.

i agree with sol soyo is shit, i would only go with msi or asus myself.

my sister just bought a hp desktop with an lcd monitor for like 800 bucks with amd 64 3200, 512 ram and 120gb hd. this would probably be a better buy for you.

Quoted post[/post]]
do you know how to build a machine or a friend that does?

that is my recommendation.
ya lol...I can have them take a look...I want a fucking computer that I can run games on that is GOOD! I have a list that I can make my own but I don't want to fucking get all the shit and then try to put it together and all that...I still have the list that I think endless gave me a long time ago...I can upgrade the motherboard I do believe..Actually I just want a computer that I can use for some games...im not a hardcore PC gamer...I play WoW and games like that...I don't play NFS or anything like that...All I really play is CS, Warcraft 3 and WoW. Thats all, everything else I play on Ps2 or else I have no time to play games. I have a job and school still.

Just buy all the components and have someone put it together for you.

You can buy good shit for not that much money online. Newegg = killer prices and customer service.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
soyo boards suck.

in fact, i can't find one "gamer" quality system on their website.

i agree with sol soyo is shit, i would only go with msi or asus myself.

my sister just bought a hp desktop with an lcd monitor for like 800 bucks with amd 64 3200, 512 ram and 120gb hd. this would probably be a better buy for you.
link? And I hate HP.

Quoted post[/post]]
Just buy all the components and have someone put it together for you.

You can buy good shit for not that much money online. Newegg = killer prices and customer service.
here this is the damn list that I have to go from...I really don't want to build my own...
Motherboard: Chaintech Ultra
CPU: AMD 3000+ Venice Revision E
RAM: Corsair Value Select 2X512MB
Graphics Card: eVGA 6600GT
PSU: OCZ Modstream 450
Hard Drive: 200GB SATA
Burner: NEC 3540A (don't really need)
Floppy: Anything I can find
Speakers: Lgoitech X530 5.1 Surround Sound
Sound Card: Onboard Free
Keyboard: Logitech Basic with Mouse
Case: I can find one off that site...

Total is $697...But I don't want to rely on a friend to build it for me.

Quoted post[/post]]
My friend is giving me a copy of XP Prof. For free. Thanks anyways though
So none of those will work with the slight amount of games I play?

if you really dont want to build your own, a website called monarchcomputers will eliminate the hard parts. they put the cpu, ram, and motherboard together and update the bios to the current official ones for you. they also include half life 2 and some other stuff. i got my system there.

all you have to do then is get a harddrive, case, video card, and powersupply. slap the thing together, probably 1/2 to an hour since its ur first and then just install windows xp. the whole process will probably take 3-5 days to order, ship, and recieve. than about half a day to install the OS and whatever you want and do updates to your antivirus and windows xp.

really i think thats the way to go. you gain knowledge, better product, and experience. 600-700 bucks without monitor will really put you into a decent system that will be future proof for a while except DDR2. but that doesnt matter because they run higher speeds with higher lacentcies.

the hardware side of a build is basically like building blocks. the part you may have a hard time with is the software side like possibly needing drivers for your sata drive to be recognized by windows when installing like i have to do. things like that are where you could get stuck but im sure you could handle building your own machine.

Quoted post[/post]]
if you really dont want to build your own, a website called monarchcomputers will eliminate the hard parts. they put the cpu, ram, and motherboard together and update the bios to the current official ones for you. they also include half life 2 and some other stuff. i got my system there.

all you have to do then is get a harddrive, case, video card, and powersupply. slap the thing together, probably 1/2 to an hour since its ur first and then just install windows xp. the whole process will probably take 3-5 days to order, ship, and recieve. than about half a day to install the OS and whatever you want and do updates to your antivirus and windows xp.

really i think thats the way to go. you gain knowledge, better product, and experience. 600-700 bucks without monitor will really put you into a decent system that will be future proof for a while except DDR2. but that doesnt matter because they run higher speeds with higher lacentcies.

monarch is a little expensive the last time i checked but it is an option.

Back