getting a new tv, which one..

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

LG's the better name brand, but 60hz is old school at this point. even 120hz is old school. most new lcd tvs are 240hz. If you watch sports/game or other high-speed camera action, you don't want a 60 hz screen.

well im not looking to spend much on a tv. and walmart has good deals right now, only looking to spend under 600. My girlfriend is buying me one with her tax check... so I should get one with atleast a 120hz then..

I just bought an LG 42" (120 refresh) for 680 or so after tax and am quite pleased with it. Granted, it is slightly out of your range, but I second LG over Vizio.

Keep in mind that if you're going to use it mostly for gaming, your tv's game mode dumbs down your tv, including dropping your refresh rate to 60hz(in almost all cases for 120hz tvs). Secondly, I believe 120hz to be plenty sufficient for all other purposes.

Aren't the new models of tv coming out in March? Might find some sales in the next few weeks

Check out plasma tvs. More bang for your buck, and better pictures. Right now the only drawback is they use more electricity.

I don't play video games that much, I don't even have a game system. It will be mostly for watching tv and movies.... I looked at the reviews for the vizio and they all looked good to me.. And nootrac I don't want a plasma I have to many windows in my living room, there would be to much reflection on the tv...

the best way to evaluate a tv is read the reviews and then actually go to the stores and check em out urself. opinions differ greatly on what is a good picture and what isnt.

anyway, it seems like Vizios have very good pictures for the price, however they seem to have problems with durability. everyone that i know that has a Vizio panel complains about it after a couple of years such backlight bleeding, dimming, etc...

another tip is to check out Dynex when they are on sale. its best buys inhouse brand, but they dont actually make the panels. they get them from Samsung, LG, etc.. The only down side is luck of draw. Getting a Sammy panel depends on model and even lot number. to check for luck, avsforum is a good spot.

What I did when I bought my last TV was I went to Best Buy, stood infront of the giant wall of tvs and then price shopped. I dont know if you have maybe a better place to look at a large selection but that was the best place near me. Try looking at HHGreg. They replaced all the Circuit City stores around me and I get ads there prices seem to be really good. Dont forget when figuring in your budget that the warrantys are a little expensive but might be a good idea.

We got the LG46520 for like 600 two weeks ago. And they just had a cheaper LED one on Fry's the other day.

Shop around, use gizmodo deals of the day, fry's is worth the drive for a MAJOR TV BRAND(advertisement).

Well I only have, best buy, HHgregg, walmart, target, meijers, and sears, so I am kinda limited on where I can go get a tv..

Back