Getting Greddy Kit for my EK

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

La_Pieuvre

Hey guys,

After considering mildly building my engine, I've finally decided to boost my D16Y8. Greddy came out with what seems like a pretty complete kit for my car. I can get the kit for a good price of $1850 (w/o IC) new. I know there are other kits that would be more complete and add more hp, but I really like the price range of this one.

The kit includes:

- TD04H-19T turbo
- 4 x 310 cc injectors
- emanage
- cast-iron manifold
- downpipe
- all the piping and intake.

I will also get an intercooler for the kit. I was looking at the standard size Greddy IC, which I can get new for $600.

I looked up the turbo online to find out what I can expect from the kit. All I found were some maps for the turbo:

s40675e1a272a9.jpg

s40675e2f09c5d.jpg

Now, I have no idea what those pics mean. Are they even useful? If so, what do they indicate?
:EDIT: I'm a retard, didn't even know there was a link in the Reference Section for reading compressor maps :p

Basically, what I'd like to know is what kind of problems, if any, that I'll run into. I'm hoping to get around 200-210 whp.

If any of you guys have any good input, feel free to post.
Is there anything you would recommend I get on top of what is included?

I'm new to this turbo thing, so I don't really know what I'm talking about.

I don't really want to hear about getting a B-series engine. I've already thought about it.

Thanks.

I'd get it, that way cops won't hassel you about it cause it's a greddy kit.
just be like "BAAAMM, motha fuck...I gotta carb legal sticker fo this shit."

once you install your greddy kit and use the e manage, don't be surprised if the owner of the local gas station you frequent starts sending you love letters....

Originally posted by Tonyd0821@Mar 28 2004, 05:47 PM
once you install your greddy kit and use the e manage, don't be surprised if the owner of the local gas station you frequent starts sending you love letters....

:ph34r:

Originally posted by Tonyd0821@Mar 28 2004, 06:47 PM

Yeah, I know... but gas isn't too bad here in Texas...yet :p

Tony, do you have any bad experiences with E Manage?

Originally posted by La_Pieuvre+Mar 28 2004, 08:02 PM-->
Tonyd0821
@Mar 28 2004, 06:47 PM
once you install your greddy kit and use the e manage, don't be surprised if  the owner of the local gas station you frequent starts sending you love letters....

no, in fact there is a board dedicated to "d series boosting"

i cant remember the name offhand, but do a google search for the words:

pollito turbo d series

it should bring up a turbo d series board.

i had the 15 g turbo before they came out with the 17g. 15 g was meant for the eg, but with small modifications it ran fine on the ek.

the blue box was the fuel management device that came with the 15g kit.

it sucked. my gas mileage was fucking HORRIBLE.

save up for at least the vafc hack. that way you can also tune it at a dyno as well.

the good thing is that the 17g kit comes with injectors? so all you would need is the missing link or some form of check valve and the vafc (safc better idea)

and ya, i heard alot of crap about e manage....

one last thought....

if i was you, i would not boost my d series.

i only had the greddy kit on there for like 4 months, and my tranny is shot. not the clutch, cuz it was a month or two old when i put the kit on, but the tranny sometimes "slips" or makes a REALLY funny noise when the car is on a minor hill or takes off with a load.....

i think it is the synchros or some other shit....

and believe me, MAINTAIN that fucking greddy kit. cant stress that enough. make it a daily routine to check your oil levels and all other things....

otherwise shit can go south REAL fast without you knowing it untill you hear a noise that i heard (that still strikes fear in my heart)

starts off sounding like there is a plastic grocery sack caught in your wheel well.....
then all of a sudden BAM CLANG.

i was playing my neighbors need for speed underground today, when he was racing against me in the 1/4 mile thingy. he had a boosted type r, and we had the playstation hooked up to my home theater and the volume turned WAY up.

all of a sudden, as he was hitting the "naaawz" to try and pass me, he blew his engine, and the sound that came out of the speakers was the SAME exact sound that I heard when I blew my motor.

I jumped so fucking high when i heard that shit and my heart started to race a mile a minute lol.

anyways, if you still decide to do it, lemme know if you need help (aside from the injectors, cuz i never installed injectors on my civic) and ill be able to walk you through the installation.

Originally posted by Tonyd0821+Mar 28 2004, 08:22 PM-->
Originally posted by La_Pieuvre@Mar 28 2004, 08:02 PM
Tonyd0821
@Mar 28 2004, 06:47 PM
once you install your greddy kit and use the e manage, don't be surprised if  the owner of the local gas station you frequent starts sending you love letters....

no, in fact there is a board dedicated to "d series boosting"

i cant remember the name offhand, but do a google search for the words:

pollito turbo d series

it should bring up a turbo d series board.

i had the 15 g turbo before they came out with the 17g. 15 g was meant for the eg, but with small modifications it ran fine on the ek.

the blue box was the fuel management device that came with the 15g kit.

it sucked. my gas mileage was fucking HORRIBLE.

save up for at least the vafc hack. that way you can also tune it at a dyno as well.

the good thing is that the 17g kit comes with injectors? so all you would need is the missing link or some form of check valve and the vafc (safc better idea)

and ya, i heard alot of crap about e manage....

Good stuff :)

That car will definitely be tuned with a dyno, gotta do things right the first time. he he...

I'll be buying parts as I go, and won't be installing anything until I have EVERYTHING needed to run the kit smoothly.

Originally posted by Tonyd0821@Mar 28 2004, 08:29 PM
one last thought....

if i was you, i would not boost my d series.

i only had the greddy kit on there for like 4 months, and my tranny is shot. not the clutch, cuz it was a month or two old when i put the kit on, but the tranny sometimes "slips" or makes a REALLY funny noise when the car is on a minor hill or takes off with a load.....

i think it is the synchros or some other shit....

and believe me, MAINTAIN that fucking greddy kit. cant stress that enough. make it a daily routine to check your oil levels and all other things....

otherwise shit can go south REAL fast without you knowing it untill you hear a noise that i heard (that still strikes fear in my heart)

starts off sounding like there is a plastic grocery sack caught in your wheel well.....
then all of a sudden BAM CLANG.

i was playing my neighbors need for speed underground today, when he was racing against me in the 1/4 mile thingy. he had a boosted type r, and we had the playstation hooked up to my home theater and the volume turned WAY up.

all of a sudden, as he was hitting the "naaawz" to try and pass me, he blew his engine, and the sound that came out of the speakers was the SAME exact sound that I heard when I blew my motor.

I jumped so fucking high when i heard that shit and my heart started to race a mile a minute lol.

anyways, if you still decide to do it, lemme know if you need help (aside from the injectors, cuz i never installed injectors on my civic) and ill be able to walk you through the installation.

Thanks ;)

yeah, I know you used to run a Greddy kit on your civic before that dreaded boom. :(

The tranny will just be another thing to look out for, with a little luck, my luck will be better than yours.

as for boosting the D-block, I'm pretty set on doing it. I know it will be a shitload of maintenance, but I tend to be really paranoid about my car. With the right dedication I believe I can keep it running for a while.

I'll look forward to your input on the installation process.

those charts are called compressor maps.
see: http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=142398 or http://www.mercurycapri.com/technical/engi...rbo/htratm.html

they show surge limits and all that. its used to find its effeicincy range.

its a bolt on kit dude. the maps really don't need to be deciphered.

and i have 3 words.

"get a hondata"

you'll save gas, have a better tune, idel better, and in general, make more reliable power.

pawn off the 310s to an all motor guy.
pawn off the blue box to some noob.
get some 440's from RC so you don't have to wire in peak/hold DSM's
hit up the dyno
make some power
have fun

ya, i sold my blue box on ebay for 100.00 ....

dont get me wrong, there is nothing wrong about boosting a d series. they are just as reliable as the boosted b and h series motors. it is not unreasonable to think that you will one day be hitting low 13's.

the thing about the "d" series motor, (as im sure with all boosted applications) is that there is NO room for error. one SMALL thing CAN and WILL snowball into a MAJOR problem. and it will happen when you least expect it. i can't stress that enough.....MAINTAIN YOUR SHIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and you will be very pleased with the end result of boosting your "d" series motor.

another thing which helped me.....i dont know your mechanical expertise, but installing the greddy kit was the first "big" thing i had ever done to a car.....header installation and exhaust installation aside. go through the diagrams and install process in your head, and up untill a week before you are ready to do the installation, make sure you can run through the entire process of installing the kit in your head. right before you goto bed and fall asleep, run through it in your mind. that way when the day comes for the install, aside from the 99 million other things on your mind, you will be able to coordinate the project well.

and DOUBLE check your work. fucktard neighbor didnt tap my oil pan right (which im pretty sure is the root cause of my motor blowing) and when I first fired it up, oil shot out of the bov.....dumbshit forgot to tap the oil return hole.

anyways, thats my 2 cents, if you need any help, pm me on here, or email me @ tonyd0821@sbcglobal.net (email preferrably....if you want a quick and thourough response) :D

Thanks for the info Brian, Tony.

When I think of other questions, I'll be sure to post them here.

NotUrAverage_Si : thanks for the link.

Originally posted by Tonyd0821@Mar 28 2004, 10:26 PM
fucktard neighbor didnt tap my oil pan right (which im pretty sure is the root cause of my motor blowing) and when I first fired it up, oil shot out of the bov.....dumbshit forgot to tap the oil return hole.

AHHHGGGG!!!!! I cry a tear for you :bawling:

Oliver, Intercrew can hook you up on the Hondata front. Phillip's been doing it for a while, and they're really not that expensive. Take off all the options except boost, and you could have a Hondata setup for $400 or less.

Originally posted by Calesta@Mar 29 2004, 02:38 PM
Oliver, Intercrew can hook you up on the Hondata front. Phillip's been doing it for a while, and they're really not that expensive. Take off all the options except boost, and you could have a Hondata setup for $400 or less.

Thanks Mike, Intercrew was my first choice for Hondata. :)

:werd:

If you sell the tuning parts off your turbo kit before installation, I'm sure you could recover almost all the Hondata's cost.

Back