Getting into ice racing...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

djyox

... and was thinking of picking up another civic. I've sold all my hatchs, now I kinda wish I kept them, or at least the non-titled '90 si.

Anyhow, I will be doing lots of work to it, it will be a race only car, and will only see the road when its being pushed or on the trailer. I have to still pick up my local rule book, but as of now I just know I need a 6point roll cage and a few other things. The cage is going to be the big money spender unless I can buy a cheap bolt in.

I'm really open as of now to the car I get as long as its a small FWD car, just kinda hoping a civic falls into my hands.

Anyone else here into ice racing that can toss a few tips my way?

Just wondring what type of tires do you use

I have seen it on TV before, would be fun just to get a old VW rabbit and go out there;) or some car you dont care about.

The tires are menard tires, they don't look like normal tires with studs, they look like melted bumpy tires that rolled though a pile of studs and picked up a bunch. They are kinda funky, but thats what works.

Now I'm sure that 4wd would whoop ass, but the guy who promotes these, was trying to sell me one of his rabbits. He says hes a VW guy, and thats all he has. Bunch of rabbits and jettas. This guy is also a strong believer behind the FWD, even though a RWD won the overall last year. He also said, for a rule of thumb, don't bring a car out there that you would cry about if it got a little dent, as there are people I have seen hit a snowbank and flip the car, then keep on racing that day, also lots of bumping and rubbing.

The thing I need to figure out is how to throw a cheap rollcage in. The cage has to be O.D. 1.5" And I forget the size of the metal plates and thickness of the tubes. But I will look that up well before I put a rollcage in anything.

But really I just am looking for a cheap hatch, I need to stay under 3.0L if I remember right, the car can't be too long, or too wide, I forget those numbers too (again I remind you, I'm a newbie at this).

So where are you little 4th gen civic si hatch.....

Well, I just picked up my soon to be ice racer...

88' Teg LS 4dr with the DOHC D16 motor. I am guessing that this doesn't have a LSD in it though, just a one wheel wonder huh? It needed a little work, and just got the bioch running. Now I'm working on the breaks. Everything works in it, its really a nice car, but it will be seeing racing this year, or as late as next year forsure. I still need a rollcage in it, but no rush..

Cost sheet so far:
Car - $150
Distributor - $200
Tags/title - $75
Brake pads - $28

TOTAL: $453

Not bad ehh? I'll take some pictures of it if you guys wanna see what she looks like (But my guess is you've seen an 86-89 teg.)

Also the rust isn't too bad either, just around rear wheelwells... as can be expected for having 169xxxk.... I think I did alright...

Anyone know a good website for making your own roll cage?

Back