Getting my first bike

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BTW I have a friend who has an 05 or 06 SV650 hes been riding it for about 3 years now and has even tracked it a few times.

He loves it and still says he hasn't been able to push it to its limits let alone any supersport bike.

People at work swear by used VFR750/800's for a first bike. Good torque, looks great, comfortable and ergonomic. Not as fast as a 600 ss. When I end up getting a bike, I'll be getting an old dual sport.

So I'm finally doing what I've been saying I've wanted to do since I turned 18. I'm taking the Texas mandated motorcycle safety course, and then the one for the Army, in about 2 weeks. After this I want to go find a bike.

So my question is, what would you guys recommend as a first motorcycle? I'm probably looking at the 600cc engine size and nothing more for the first one, and something that is used. How many miles is "average"? I've seen 2007's with 3K to 10K and didn't know what "high mileage" is for a motorcycle.

Also, if you can, give me some opinions on gear (jacket, pants, gloves, helmet) that you've had good experiences with.

Thanks ahead of time for any info you guys provide me, I really appreciate it!

:eek:
You're getting a bike? That's sweet! I am still holding out for my CBR lol. My hubby got a bike last week- well, part of a bike. I think it's a Yamaha... There's no windshield or farings, or seat.... But it runs pretty good. It's been sitting in a guy's field for a couple of years. So I guess when he gets that thing road worthy maybe I will get my bike lol. Here's to wishful thinking!! :lmao:

I've been riding since I was 14, almost 21,000 miles accumulated so far and im only 21. never had a ticket in my life.

Get a 250 first (if your thinking sport bikes). You will be soo much more experienced and less likely to kill yourself if you experience a 250 before the bigger bikes. Most professional riders interviewed have admitted they started on a 250cc. The new honda cbr250 looks promising, but the most common starter sport bike is the Kawasaki 250. Which is an awesome and very reliable bike. I personally chose the niche bike, Hyosung GT250R which needed very minimal maintenance. I have stopped at the CBR600rr and wont go any higher unless its an sv1000 or similar for long distance road trips.

High miles is different from bike to bike.
Typically an sv1000, sv650, any touring BMW, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki,Ducati will been seen with higher miles up to 50k 60k area. Sport bikes are typically seen with less miles, 20k and below. high miles for a sport bike i would say is over 20k. A lot of guys in utah rebuild the engine around 20-25k miles.

I personally stay away from Harley/Buell due to the bad quality and break-downs I hear from guys that have been riding for many years.

With gear, obviously the more you pay the better quality (mostly).
I suggest to research each item you buy.
Motorcycle Superstore - Motorcycle Accessories and Motorcycle Gearis my favorite only site. They have video reviews on a lot of the protective gear being offered. The shipping is fast and cheap. And the customer service is top quality as well.
I suggest to purchase a jacket that suits your riding style (mesh-summer vs textile or leather), you should buy higher quality gloves because when you ride your hands will numb up if you have cheap-o's vs padded leather ones, your helmet should be up to date and not an old helmet. I suggest getting a new helmet with your preferred shield and take into consideration the air flow into and out of the helmet, but make sure you try on the sizes first at a local shop because each brand is a little bit different.

Never ride with sandals, always ride with shoes that cover most of your ankle and wont slip.
Please dont think your the shit on your new bike or you will die.

Last edited:
good luck with the purchase.
i can say though, that if you are a taller or larger human being, you wont like a 250.

like stated before, chances are you are going to go down. be ready for it, it sucks.

i would personally sit on every kind of bike you see. sit on the sport bikes and the cruisers, you never know which you'll like better til you sit on one. dont just limit yourself to newer bikes though, check out some of the old ones on craigslist, they are cheaper, much cheaper, and you may find one that you love vs one that you like.

Back