Getting Ripped Off

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

nash

yo, look i'm sure people here sometimes wounder about dirty old mechanics getting the best of you and you money. So when getting a new motor (a swaped one) how can I tell for sure that i'm getting everything I have to? I'm no mechanic and I have a little knowledge about motors. I want a b series motor for my 99 civic soch vtec. Sometimes I wounder if they would screw around with the internals, etc. What parts might they try to innerchage with other motors? say i got a b18c1 or c5 i guess they could swap some b16 parts there, see thats what i mean. People know that mechanic are a rip so how can i expect not to get short changed on some part. I just to know how to catch the mechanic if he tries to screw me. Just looking at picture dont help out alot for me. So for me 99 civic soch vtec when a put a b series b16sir , b18c1 or b18c5 what are common areas that i can look for where the mechanic might try to save money, and charge me more.? the computer is a big concern for me. he cant use me soch vtec one for those motors right? if someoen can please answer these questions to there best ability, i thank you in advance for your help and knowledge.

later
nash

do the swap yourself. get a helms manual and some friends and beer.

if they use your sohc ecu.. it would run.. but the rev limiter would be off as well as the fuel/ignition maps.

i would make sure that you check the ecu when you pick it up.. and take the cluster out to make sure they didn't cut the wire to the CEL... i've seen it happen

Originally posted by pills_PMD@Apr 22 2003, 12:57 PM
do the swap yourself. get a helms manual and some friends and beer.

:werd: :withstupid:

i did my first swap not too long ago
it was MUCH easier than i expected it to be

there is no replacement for the ammount you will learn about your car

what about the wirng,
i think that might be to hard for me to do.
whats a cel?

Originally posted by nash@Apr 23 2003, 02:50 AM

whats a cel?

Check Engine Light

Most places that do swaps (reputibily) aren't going to rip you off.If you did it yourself,as long as you get the right OBD,you're not going to find it is that difficult.Run a couple extra wires isn't that hard,and mechanically it is a easy swap.

To get a motor, or answer any questions on any swap for honda known to man, call
IMPORT AUTO SALVAGE (828)724-1616. I got my B series swap form them and it comes with everything you need plus, all the advise to answer questions. They go as far to show you the car the motor came out of, and a leak down test. Sure they might be higher
than some old man in a junk yard but it is worth every penny. I think they are on the web,
try searching for Bfast.

Good Luck!

sure if i do the swap myself i would need power tools and other tools i dont have. I would also need a engine lift. And who knows how much time it would take me. I guess i would rather pay for the swap and get a gurante. Dude wants anywhere from 800-1500canadian to swap any b series, which one is the most work in terms of wiring?b16b18cb18c5 they'd be most likely jdm motors.
thanks
'
nash

you dont need any power tools, it can be done with hand tools easy. you dont even need a lift, you can jack the motor up with a hydrolic jack from under the car :) seriously, get a helms and some friends to lend a hand, it will be worth it

I recommend the same i did itand sure its LOTS fun LOL,I swaped my enigine by myself no friends they would probably screw the whole thing up or leave loose bolts,
Now about tools i bought a craftman tool box 100Usd and rented engine hoist from friend for 40usd what a friend,removed 90 civic hb engine in 35 minutes put the B16A in about 5 to 6 hours made it start in 3 days minor setbacks,BUT YES DO IT GREAT EXPERIENCE.
Did anybodies finger tips hurt like hell next day after swap OUCH... :lol:

I am a Honda P.A.C.T. Master Certified auto technician, and I am appalled at your apparent lack of respect for my profession. Not all mechanics are thieves, most have a conscience, and perform work like it was their own vehicle. If you don't want to get ripped off, take your vehicle to a reputable shop, and ask for references. As far as taking b16a parts and interchanging them with your supposed B18C or whatever, who the hell would go through all that trouble unless your engine was brand new? I will not tolerate disrespect for automotive technicians, without us you wouldn't have a car, so next time do a little research before you come and open your big stupid mouth, asswipe. :fuckyou2: :owned:

there is nothing wrong with him being worried about it, i know people that have been ripped off before by shady mechanics... i dont see how you saw it as disrespect... you're right, i doubt anyone would replace internals, but dont get on his case because he is paranoid about it

It's ok to be paranoid about shady MECHANICS. Notice I said mechanics, not automotive technicians, there is a difference. I am sorry i got so upset, but I am so sick of people bashing reputable techs, just because they had a bad expirience somewhere. I, like most techs, am a professional who takes his career very seriously with pride and dignity, and I don't rip off my customers, because I want them to trust me and be my freind if anything. I wouldn't want someone not coming back to my shop, that would be the worst thing that could happen. Like I said if you don't want to get ripped off take your car to someone you trust, and ask to speak with some of his former customers to see if they were satisfied.

Originally posted by ryanwolfe911@Apr 24 2003, 06:42 AM
Notice I said mechanics, not automotive technicians, there is a difference.

thats good to hear man . . . a lot of people think mechanics and auto techs are the same. there is a big difference, generally a mechanic can fix anything with a hammer and an adjustable wrench making the component unable to be serviced again. :lol:

bring it to CT.
me, E, and bill will do it.

where are you guys? thanks maybe this could happen we sould talk about it.

i agree with 92b16vx most places would not fuck you like that they would'nt put their credibillity on the line like that i mean hell if they do a good job that equals more business if they do a bad job, less or even no jobs not to mention the possibility of legal consquences. some might screw you but very few but not on the work but the price. most places will charge you an arm and a leg but they will do a good job

Originally posted by nash@Apr 24 2003, 12:15 PM
where are you guys? thanks maybe this could happen we sould talk about it.

we're in CT (Connecticut)

hello and welcome to basic US geography

CT (Connecticut)
located in New England (north eastern United States)
east of New York
south of Massachusettes
west of Rhode Island

i cant think of the longitude and lattitude off the top of my head but if you need them i will get them for you

Back