getting the BAR sticker in CA

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hey if theres an one that can help me or has done this before, any info would be great on passing to get the BAR sticker.
like the things that the refree would check for?

i have 88 crx si with a b16 sir 2 swap w/ cable tranny
complete stock excpet for cheap aftermarket intake and 2 1/4 piping from cat n back to muffler
using a pr3 obdo.
everything is obdo.injectors/ dizzy/ o2 sensor with one wire if that helps

if any one needs any other info i will post it up, cant think of what else i need to put up.

thanx in advance

Pretty sure you are going to have to convert to obd1, since vtec did not get into the US until the nsx and del sel in 92. That is what a couple of people that have passed the ref have told me. And I think BAR is a lawyer thing, I think you are thinking or CARB certification, right? The ref doesn't check for that sticker, he will issue you a new one after he judges that everything is in order on your swap. Call up the local chapter of the California Air Resources Board, and talk to the ref in your area, as all of them are different. They have the power to tell you what will or will not, so make sure that what I am saying about the obds is what the ref in your area wants, before you go changing anything.
Hope that helps. There is also a thread in the resources forum of hondaswap. Check it out , it has some good links to info you might want. Good Luck.

Whereabouts in california do you live? Keep us posted regarding the situation. I will hopefully be going through the same process this summer, (keeping fingers crossed).

dude..you need to find out how to make your motor run lean enough not to pass nox...when we went the first time to the ref he said we were lucky we lived in a county that didn't require testing on the dyno..he said that everytime he's tested a swap on the dyno it faild due to nox. JDM engines are more prone to fail...check g2ic there should be a write up or something in the forums about it.

good luck :thumbsup:

you are going to have to put a carb legal intake on it or put the stock intake back on it or he will send you home without even testing it

Back