Giant Series of Quakes Hit Japan

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

even if you're "jk," i feel that's pretty insensitive; ditto for doubleSi and his pic of the bomb. if youve seen a documentary about how destructive the abombs were, you wouldnt even think twice about a joke, less a "jk" remark.
ive seen plenty of footage and pictures about it. insensitive? yes. in jest? yes. do i care? not really. theres far more offensive things in the world to get up in arms about. how many "jews in ovens/fire/gas/etc" type jokes have you heard/laughed at?

but thats just me :shrug2:

Last edited:
My brother finally got in contact with me and he is fine. Thank goodness. He has volunteered to help with the disaster relief team.

My heart goes out to all the familes over there.

even if you're "jk," i feel that's pretty insensitive; ditto for doubleSi and his pic of the bomb. if youve seen a documentary about how destructive the abombs were, you wouldnt even think twice about a joke, less a "jk" remark.

anyway, there are two trains full of people that have gone missing according to the AP........ god help them be okay. nothing worst then "status unknown."
Get your eyes checked. I never posted a pic of a bomb. But I did think it was funny as hell. :shrug2:

My heart goes out to the people of Japan, having been there twice I have to say just some of the nices people in the world. My brother was in Miswa AFB for 3 years, and still has friends stationed there (all have been contacted).

If you have never been involved in a natural disaster, you have no idea how devastating the water that tool out Sendai is. My town flooded in 1996 and it took years to recover. Sendai and other cities may never come back. Much of it will be uninhabitable for possibly decades, if ever.

People, pay attention. This is a history changer. This is going in history books and encyclopedias.

On a side note, is this plate movement going to affect more plates globally? How long until we get a shift in Cali and lose a whole state into the ocean?

a post from one of my buddies living near there.

"Quick recap points....

Government says, many of the seismographs in the affected areas were damaged during the shaking, but the last readings were 6.2 on land there.

JMA (Japan Meteorology Assc.) said their current Tsunami warning and measuring system is all based on a max of 10 meter Tsunami. This is why the "10 meter" tsunami word is on all the news, however, nothing is in place to measure/record greater than 10 meters. What they know so far is that by judging from the water line on buildings, in some areas the tsunami was around 20 meters high (think 20 yards) from sea level.

Miyagi prefecture still has 4 towns that are totally without contact and unaccounted for. One town has over 10,000 missing.

Government stated tonight, starting Monday, all power within the Tokyo grid and surrounding areas will be "rationed" by shutting off approx. 15,000 homes/business at a time for 3 hour durations. It will rotate through all the grids. This is to relieve the over burdened power plants that are working.

There are at least 7 towns with 100% complete destruction, no structures standing or inhabitable.

The nuclear plant seems to be somewhat stable now, the temps. are lower and in the blast, only helium was released apparently.

The footage coming in now from peoples cell phones and video cams is outrageous! I saw HUGE container ships washed in land over 3 miles. cars inside of cars. Entire neighborhoods disappeared on camera.

Yokota Air Base started prepping some buildings to accept Japanese needing emergency homes. It's also being said now that Misaw Air Base in Aomori MIGHT partially evac because of no power, and none coming anytime soon, which means they would likely be brought here and we would all share our housing with them."

I know they can rebuild, but they can't re-birth.:( RIP all lost persons and pets, I hope someone always remembers them.:(

I read this morning that this was not the big one they expected and they expect another 8.0 or larger to hit in the future.

i read the nuclear plant now has a 20km evacuation zone instead of 10km
not sure when that change happened...

the before and after pictures are hard to conceptualize

If mixer trucks start showing up they are in a very bad way. I really hope that the stop gap measures that have been put in place are effective. The last thing the people of Japan need is the fear of a nuclear meltdown.

Back