Giant Series of Quakes Hit Japan

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

40 year old nuclear power plant about to be decommissioned.
9.0 Earthquake.
20 Foothigh Tsunami.

I'm still pro-nuclear.

I'm considering quitting my job in 2 months. If I don't find an internship, I will be volunteering to rebuild japan for the summer.

There has been an explosion in reactor 4! Fuel rods in reactor 4 had been fully exposed for 6 hours yesterday, and now are only currently 1/2 covered with coolant. They are having to bring in helicopters with water to help cool them. This is a very bad situation.

Also, another M 6.4 quake hit in another area of Japan.

Last edited:
my prayers are with the heroes putting their lives on the line trying to deal with these reactor and getting high doses of radiation
their names will more than likely not be remembered for generations to come, yet they are risking paying the ultimate price for others safety

edit:
Those who remained behind continued a seesaw, last-ditch effort to flood reactors with seawater to keep them cool and prevent a wider environmental and public health catastrophe.
The beleagured crew had to abandon the plant control room Tuesday night because of high radiation levels, Kyodo News reported, citing plant owner Tokyo Electric Power Company. They were monitoring data from a remote site, Kyodo reported.
"Their situation is not great," said David Brenner, director of the Center for Radiological Research at Columbia University. "It's pretty clear that they will be getting very high doses of radiation. There's certainly the potential for lethal doses of radiation. They know it, and I think you have to call these people heroes."

Last edited:
I think its cool how the country is uniting and helping each other out. Remember Katrina? The hood rats looted, started armed gangs, and complained that the government didn't help enough.

theres so much that i would love to say here.... but ill just leave it at this

its amazing what happens when a society has, understands, and embraces, honor

its amazing what happens when a society has, understands, and embraces, honor

unfortunately, i'm somewhat on the other side of this thought. it's not that that the Japanese are anything special. while they do have values, integrity, and honor. I believe they are just "normal" people. They are how citizens SHOULD act. It's not a show, it's just doing the right fucking thing.

In New Orleans, people had the opportunity to help. There were able bodies there. Young, healthy people. But instead of being a proud, black man pulling people out of damaged buildings, they chose to be ghetto n*****s pulling tv's and liquor out of damaged buildings.

I really do appreciate what is going on in Japan. I think it's amazing. I just think they are doing what any society should do in a time like this. It's unfortunate that our standards have sunk so low to accept looting and riots during times in catastrophe and to believe that saving lives and your community is the exceptional act of patriotism and heroics.

Last edited by a moderator:
i agree with the honor, and also note...
the whole southern coast was affected by katrina
but you didn't hear about looting and all that shit in good ole god loving farm country
:ph34r:

unfortunately, i'm somewhat on the other side of this thought. it's not that that the Japanese are anything special. while they do have values, integrity, and honor. I believe they are just "normal" people. They are how citizens SHOULD act. It's not a show, it's just doing the right fucking thing.

In New Orleans, people had the opportunity to help. There were able bodies there. Young, healthy people. But instead of being a proud, black man pulling people out of damaged buildings, they chose to be ghetto n*****s pulling tv's and liquor out of damaged buildings.

I really do appreciate what is going on in Japan. I think it's amazing. I just think they are doing what any society should do in a time like this. It's unfortunate that our standards have sunk so low to accept looting and riots during times in catastrophe and to believe that saving lives and your community is the exceptional act of patriotism and heroics.

i agree completely on all counts

Cafferty File: Tell Jack how you really feel Blog Archive - Why is there no looting in Japan? « - CNN.com Blogs

FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:
In the wake of Japan's deadly earthquake, tsunami and nuclear power plant explosions, we have witnessed the almost indescribable chaos that follows a disaster of this magnitude: loss of life, severe injuries, homelessness, lack of water, food and proper medical care, the physical destruction of towns and cities, and a growing fear of radioactive contamination from power plants that seem beyond anyone's ability to control.
But one heart-wrenching byproduct of disasters like this one has been missing in Japan, and that’s looting and lawlessness.
Looting is something we see after almost every tragedy; for example: last year's earthquakes in Haiti and Chile, the floods in England in 2007, and of course Hurricane Katrina back in 2005. It happens when some people who've seen life as they know it get tossed out the window feel that all morality has been tossed out too. It's survival of the fittest and whatever you can get your hands on is yours, no matter who it belongs to.
But that's not happening in Japan.
Journalist and social commentator Ed West wrote in the UK Telegraph yesterday how struck he was by the Japanese culture throughout this ordeal. He observed how supermarkets cut their prices in the days following the quake and how vending machine owners were giving out free drinks as "people work together to survive." And West was most surprised by the fact that there was no looting.
Many have pointed to the popularity of Japan's distinctive Buddhist and Shinto religions as well as how the values of conformity and consensus are considered virtues in their culture. That's one explanation, but it probably has something to do with remaining true to your moral code even in the darkest hours.
Here’s my question to you: Why is there no looting in Japan?
Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Kim:
Because Japanese culture, unlike all other modern cultures, is based primarily on honor and dignity. Unlike our Katrina disaster, the Japanese don't see this as an opportunity to steal everything in sight. The so-called civilized world can learn much from the stoic Japanese.
Greg in Arkansas:
Two words: National pride. The people of Japan love their country and do what is best for the nation, unlike the United States where we love our country and do what is best for ourselves.
Natasha:
The Japanese are resourceful, innovative and disciplined people with a great sense of national pride. While they also have criminals and felons, it is not quite in comparison to the sleaze balls we have in our streets. It was disgusting to watch these scum bags loot stores in New Orleans during Katrina when they should have helped their fellow citizens in need. While watching the devastation in Japan is heart wrenching, it is so refreshing to see the civility of people within the calamity they are facing.
Larry in Georgetown, Texas:
Jack, I was blessed to visit Japan several years ago on business and was told that if I lost my wallet in downtown Tokyo that the person who found it would make it their mission to return it to me in tact. These people are very gracious and kind.
Carol:
Sociologists will tell you that the lack of looting is just the result of large numbers of people developing a more orderly society to cope with living in a smaller land mass. Personally, I've always thought it's because they're a more highly evolved race.
Joy:
It's the Japanese culture - very refined, dignified, disciplined and civilized. We should all learn from them. They're the types of people you help out willingly because you know that they'll make full use of any opportunity to get back on their feet.
Richard:
I don't really know. It would be easy to say that they are a very homogeneous society and perhaps in a way consider each other family. In any case they are to be applauded.

I'm donating to help the animals, My wife visited ARK a few years ago, and she helps out when she can. She just sent some yen, and I just sent 10,000 yen. ($128) thru paypal, and my wife knows that they will use it to really help the animals left behind. This is one donation that I know will be put to good use.

アニマルレフュジ関西 | Caring. Rescuing. Rehoming.

on the paypal page, the long block just copy/paste:

to: TOHOKU-PACIFIC QUAKE ANIMALS

and the yen amount you want to donate.

Am I the only one who is conflicted with this? I grew up in a military family, so maybe I'm biased.

But I mean... yeah, it's a natural tragedy, and I'm sorry for their loss and their nuclear complications.

But these fuckers surprised attacked Pearl Harbor and killed over 2,000 men risking their lives to defend this country of ours.

You reap what you sow.

:ph34r:

Last edited:
and we killed 3,120,000+ of them back in the 40's... that didn't make you happy enough?

this is 2011...not 1945....

Last edited:
I believe that was a joke. Albeit a shitty one. Ninja, dead giveaway...

Damn, I wouldn't know where to start. Do they just start cleaning on one end and work their way to the coast?

Back