Giant Series of Quakes Hit Japan

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

It was a different time in 1942.

Same with Germany, or Italy, and even Russia though they were our allies at the time.

Am I the only one who is conflicted with this? I grew up in a military family, so maybe I'm biased.

But I mean... yeah, it's a natural tragedy, and I'm sorry for their loss and their nuclear complications.

But these fuckers surprised attacked Pearl Harbor and killed over 2,000 men risking their lives to defend this country of ours.

You reap what you sow.

:ph34r:

im seriously hoping that this is a shitty joke.

I filled out my volunteer deployment packet today. I should hear back by the end of next week if Ill be accepted to go over there and help for 6-12 months. I'll have to go back to Fort Benning for 2 months for disaster/riot control training, and then I should go straight to Japan.

a post from one of my buddies living near there.

"Quick recap points....

Government says, many of the seismographs in the affected areas were damaged during the shaking, but the last readings were 6.2 on land there.

JMA (Japan Meteorology Assc.) said their current Tsunami warning and measuring system is all based on a max of 10 meter Tsunami. This is why the "10 meter" tsunami word is on all the news, however, nothing is in place to measure/record greater than 10 meters. What they know so far is that by judging from the water line on buildings, in some areas the tsunami was around 20 meters high (think 20 yards) from sea level.

Miyagi prefecture still has 4 towns that are totally without contact and unaccounted for. One town has over 10,000 missing.

Government stated tonight, starting Monday, all power within the Tokyo grid and surrounding areas will be "rationed" by shutting off approx. 15,000 homes/business at a time for 3 hour durations. It will rotate through all the grids. This is to relieve the over burdened power plants that are working.

There are at least 7 towns with 100% complete destruction, no structures standing or inhabitable.

The nuclear plant seems to be somewhat stable now, the temps. are lower and in the blast, only helium was released apparently.

The footage coming in now from peoples cell phones and video cams is outrageous! I saw HUGE container ships washed in land over 3 miles. cars inside of cars. Entire neighborhoods disappeared on camera.

Yokota Air Base started prepping some buildings to accept Japanese needing emergency homes. It's also being said now that Misaw Air Base in Aomori MIGHT partially evac because of no power, and none coming anytime soon, which means they would likely be brought here and we would all share our housing with them."

I know they can rebuild, but they can't re-birth.:( RIP all lost persons and pets, I hope someone always remembers them.:(

Thanks for this post. Sometimes its better to get info from people that are actually inside the disaster rather than rely on the news to cover the story. The person sending the information may not be able to see the "big picture", but it's not "controlled information" either. The news is both controlled and biased at times, which keeps us from getting the "whole story". I have heard this a million times from my husband about the coverage of Iraq from when he was there, and I'm sure this will be no different.

I think its cool how the country is uniting and helping each other out. Remember Katrina? The hood rats looted, started armed gangs, and complained that the government didn't help enough.

Quake response showcases Japan's resilient spirit - Yahoo! News

unfortunately, i'm somewhat on the other side of this thought. it's not that that the Japanese are anything special. while they do have values, integrity, and honor. I believe they are just "normal" people. They are how citizens SHOULD act. It's not a show, it's just doing the right fucking thing.

In New Orleans, people had the opportunity to help. There were able bodies there. Young, healthy people. But instead of being a proud, black man pulling people out of damaged buildings, they chose to be ghetto n*****s pulling tv's and liquor out of damaged buildings.

I really do appreciate what is going on in Japan. I think it's amazing. I just think they are doing what any society should do in a time like this. It's unfortunate that our standards have sunk so low to accept looting and riots during times in catastrophe and to believe that saving lives and your community is the exceptional act of patriotism and heroics.

I am in total agreement 95b16coupe. They are doing what they should do at a time such as this. It's not that they are different, or better than us, they are human, just as we are. The fact is that Americans have become spoiled by the government (I'm NOT speaking for ALL people so no one get offended by this)... Some Americans feel that it's the governments' job to support them and it's everyone elses job to do things that they COULD do themselves. They are spoiled and lazy. The whole Katrina situation makes me sick every time it is mentioned. The looters and criminals, and the able bodied people that sat on their ass and did nothing to help during that disaster disgust me. While Katrina was by no means a disaster like Japan is feeling right now, it was very major to the people involved, and not near enough gratitude and thanks were given to the thousands of volunteers and military that helped out during that time, because people were too busy complaining. Those people that were "stuck" in New Orleans and "deserted" at the superdome and surrounding areas did not deserve the media coverage or attention that they got. They had FREE chances to leave town, but were too stubborn to do so. The areas of Biloxi, MS and surrounding were devastated moreso than New Orleans, but didn't get mentioned as much because the people did what they were supposed to- got the hell out of dodge when they were told, and then returned to recover what was left and helped themselves and their neighbors out like they should have. My sympathies go out to the people of Japan right now, and I'm proud to know that they are doing what they can to help themselves. I would say I hope the people of- for example- New Orleans- would take lessons from this, but they won't, because they are still dragging in self pity that they are being "forgotten" because they still live in free FEMA trailers given to them by the government. I'm sorry I'm ranting, but it just gets me all fired up.

But these fuckers surprised attacked Pearl Harbor and killed over 2,000 men risking their lives to defend this country of ours.

None of those "fuckers" attacked Pearl Harbor. The shit was 70 years ago, we should never be happy at other's misfortune.

wtf is wrong with people in this country?
payback for pearl harbor? ORLY? as stated above, very few people from that generation are still living, and even still, it was not the civilians decision to attack pearl harbor.

It was a different time run by different rulers. The 1940s basically trained ninja pilots. That doesn't happen any more.

Where would we be without japan?

probably driving Chevettes.

for real.

You say that like its a bad thing..

you guys crack me up.

i definitly be donating. It;s going to afffect our subaru shipments although I'm glad Fuji Heavy Inds.is doing it;s part to help those in need by donating money ($500,000), their generators ($500,000 worth) and not running the plants for a few days to conserve energy needed by others in need.

it's sad to hear about all of the bodies washed ashore........ :(

Back