1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gimme some advice oh wise ones....

Discussion in 'HYBRID -> EG-EK / DC' started by sniperwolf04, Feb 5, 2004.

1. sniperwolf04

sniperwolf04 Junior Member

I'm thinking about gettin' a '94 GSR 'Teg pretty soon. I have some ideas on some basic bolt ons: exhaust, header, cold air intake, blah blah blah. Do any of you have a direction in terms on which company I should go with for my exhaust and header? I kinda have the C.I.A figured out (AEM). I like the A'Pexi exhaust but I'm lookin' for a good sound... not like the whailing rice rockets that ride around town with the "performance muffler", but more of a nice, loud sound that won't get old after a while. Also.... I'm pondering the idea of swapping in an Integra type R head. Would that be a good move or should I stick with the GSR head and get some Toda or Skunk 2 cams or somethin' like that? It's gonna be a daily driver for the next few months until June. I ship out for the Marines then. Oohrah!. But any advice or ideas would be very appreciated since I'm a young'n' still. But I know my imports. There's no doubt about that. Thanks guys.

2. brc80

brc80 Senior Member

Id stick with the gsr head, just get a skunk2 intake mani, and some cams, do a p&p job and you got a nice head.

3. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

CAI = comptech or AEM
    header = JDM ITR 4-1
    exhaust = RSR EXmag, apex WS, tanabe HM, greddy SP

ITR head = dont bother

cams = toda

4. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

:thumbsup:

5. B18C_NA

B18C_NA Banned

6. sniperwolf04

What's an IAB signal? And what ecu doesn't look for that?

7. kyleirwin

kyleirwin Retired OG

IAB = Intake Air Bypass. It's the secondary intake intake control on the GSR intake manifold. at 5750 rpm the GSR ecu (P72) opens the secondary butterflys in the intake manifold to increase air flow. if you replace the stock GSR intake manifold with an aftermarket intake manifold, it's not going to be able to tell the ecu that the secondary butterflys are open because there are none, since the ecu won't recieve this signal... it will throw a code (not good). depending on your OBD version you'll probably want to run a ITR ecu or a chipped P28, i'm sure there are a gazillion other choices... that's just what popped into my head. good luck.

8. complicity

complicity Senior Member

really? wow. i didn't know that.

(i plan on swapping an 99/00 b18c1 into an ek hatch.. soo that'd be good to know. thanks :))

one question though-- what is a "chipped" P28? i know a P28 is an ecu (not exactly sure where it's from, though), but i dont know what "chipped" means...

9. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

aftermarket chip...
    diffrent programs for the ecu...

10. sniperwolf04

Where can a get a chipped ecu? Would an ITR ecu be as much as an chipped P28 ecu? Would any other signals be different when it's plugged in?

11. EGLSHB

EGLSHB Senior Member

also, I had an APEXi N1 Cat-back on my '00 SI, and it was a super nice exhaust.... sounded good with or without the silencer.... and didn't sound cheap

12. sniperwolf04

Now for the internals.... I wanan get some civic type R pistons 'cause they are supposed to raise the compression ration to somewhere around 12.487. Should I be worried about extra wear and tear on teh rods? And last but not least.. would anybody have an idea what the cost would be for a good port and polish job for the GSR head?

13. complicity

complicity Senior Member

you would definetly need better rods to handle the pistons.

14. GSRCRXsi

GSRCRXsi Super Moderator Moderator VIP

IAB's do not throw a code. how do you think skunk2 makes the mani? if you had to replace the ECU in addition to putting on their manifold, they would tell you. and after looking in the helms it doesnt tell you anywhere that IAB's would throw a code. you can keep the same ECU, and it will do nothing.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted