Girl needs help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.
have the whole thing ,collector and all made custom, 2.5 all the way back to a cheap high flow muffler,pay them extra to weld the cat sheilds onto the straight pipe...done and probably end up cheaper than buying aftermarket exaust parts and paying someone to piece them together.

thats what I'm doing except right off the collector I will have a Y built with a pull chain valve so I can go to straight header from in the car and really scare dorks who rev on me :D

as far as compression goes lower for FI,higher for NA....depends on what you want

lower compression is good and bad it really depends what you want to do if you want to add forced induction turbo supercharger nitrous then a lower compression ratio would be more suited for what u are doing if you want to go naturally aspirated no turbo supercharger etc then you want high compression so basically it depends what you want

if you are going naturally aspirated, then you want high compression ratios, as that creates more power...

if you want forced induction, then you want a lower c/r

Originally posted by Baccidamorning@Jul 18 2003, 06:33 PM
You guys are funny. Yes, that is me in the pic, although I returned to my natural hair color, black. Dying my hair damages it too much. Are you guys joking when you ask me to post pics for replies?

Ok, so I just posted an hour ago? and I got some replies yay! haha. Thank you for those that replied.

As to the compression ratio... isn't it good to lower compression? Don't aftermarket parts lower the compression ratio? The guy above that talked about the b16 block and b18c head seems to be implying that a lower compression ratio is not good?

Higher compression is better for niturally asparated power (no Turbo). If you increase your compression (compress the fuel/air mixture in your cylinder more) you get a larger force on the piston = more Torque.

Lower compression is better if you plan on adding a turbo charger or supercharger becuase you are forcing more air into the cylinder and if you compress it too much then you can cause detonation and damage your engine.

The most common ways to change your engines compression ratio by changing your pistons or changing the thickness of you head gasket.

Brace yourselves for massive post whoring to get attention!!

Notice: you cannot get laid over the internet, leave the poor girl alone :slap:

Baccidmorning, hello and welcome to the swap!!

Ask and you shall recieve, knock and the door shall be open, rice and you shall be flamed!

how YOU doing??? hi, my name is matt, i enjoy long walks on the beach, candlelight dinners and rough sex for dessert...haha, j/p...to answer your question about compression ratios...a lower compression ratio will always result in less power, whether you turbo or go all motor. when going all motor, a high c/r ratio is a must, but when turboing, people usually lower their c/r for safety reasons...it will lower the power output of the motor, but it will make their motor last that much longer...overall, the key to everything is tuning!!!

I love the way all you guys rush to answer her question. Like she's gonna pick the best answer, find out who wrote it, hunt them down and give them head. :p

I would have to post that question like 6 times to get the answers she got. <_<

Hi there, and welcome to HondaSwap. My name is Mike, and I honestly don't give a damn if you're "hot" or not. You're a person asking intelligent questions, and I respect that. In addition, you have a boyfriend and I'm happily "almost married".

:lol:

SO... Long solid answers to your questions:

LS/VTEC

People build LS/VTEC engines for a few reasons.

1. They already have the non-VTEC B18 block.
2. It can be put together for less money than a B18C, and put out almost as much power (but you really shouldn't cheap out on it).
3. They want the slightly different power curve (read earlier and more torque) given by the longer stroke bottom end.

The B18A and B18B differ from their B18C VTEC conterpart by having a longer stroke and no VTEC. The B18C has an 87.2mm stroke and a displacement of 1797cc, while the B18A/B both have an 89mm stroke and a displacement of 1834cc. The slightly longer stroke gives the crank more leverage to act on the rod and piston, and combined with the 37cc extra displacement- gives the engine more torque earlier in the power curve than the B18C. If you start building up the internals of the LS/VTEC combination, you can have that slight edge over your B18C counterparts because of the added displacement.

Some of the disadvantages of the LS/VTEC setup are:

1. It doesn't come that way from the factory, so quality of build varies
2. Rod/stroke ratio is lower than other VTEC B blocks, but most of the ranting around it is just hype from people that don't know what they're talking about
3. No girdle, oil squirters, or oil cooler like the B18C
4. You have to source parts from different engines instead of buying one ready-to-go package

You don't hear too many people using B16 heads on GSR blocks because you lose static compression, which lowers your power output. The B18C combustion chamber is 41.6cc while the B16A combustion chamber is 42.7cc, so you lose when you change heads. You do hear of some people dropping B16 heads on GSR blocks to build a "poor man's Type-R" engine, since the B18C5 is essentially a GSR block with a slightly massaged B16 head. The B16 head works well on the GSR block if you build the engine to take advantage of it. The B16 head has a single set of runners in the intake manifold (easier to tune), and a larger base of support in the aftermarket. Couple a built GSR block with a B16 head and properly matched internals, and you have a pretty potent combination.

Example... the engine that's going into my car this week is a GSR block with a B16 head. Sorta. :lol:

Ok, now some general rules on I/H/E fitment:

Intake- buy one that fits your car, unless you swap in an engine with a B18C head... then you'll have some fun.
Header- buy one that fits your engine
Exhaust- buy one that fits your car

So... if you drop in a B16A2, get a 96-00 Civic hatch intake (or the 99-00 Si intake, it'll be a perfect fit), get a B16 header, and use the exhaust that's made for your EK hatch platform. The catback exhaust system only goes from the catalytic converter to the rear bumper, so it makes sense to buy the system that fits your car and not necessarily the engine. You DO need to buy a different exhaust manifold / header when you drop the B16 into your car, since the D series and B series heads can't share manifolds. The catback that fits your car and the header that fits your engine don't always match up perfectly though, especially if you're swapped... so you'll probably have to get a custom connection (or custom flanges on a catalytic converter) to get everything to fit properly.

Compression...

Basic view- lower compression for boost, higher compression for natural aspiration.
Advanced view- higher compression is always better. It's just more painful to tune.

Higher static compression (that's your 9.2:1 in your D16 and stuff) gives you more power because you're increasing the potential for the combustion charge in the cylinder to do work on your piston. The more potential you have for work, the power potential you have. If you can capture that power potential, you successfully make more usable power. The key is being able to tune for your higher compression. Street cars typically don't come with compression ratios much higher than 11.0:1 from the factory. Manufacturers have to deal with user error, bad gasoline every now and then, and some wear and tear on the engine later on in the car's life that will make high compression hard to deal with.

In the aftermarket, there are people running 13.5:1 compression or higher on the street using pump gas. It's pretty rare, but those engines are out there. It's all in the tuning. Maximize your potential to make power, and you can capture more real power. Screw up in the tuning, and you blow up your engine. You start walking a fine line when you play with compression ratios that high on pump gas.

As for boost, you increase the potential for more power by adding more fuel and air to the system. You're ramming more combustible mass into your cylinders, so you effectively increase compression. People typically lower the static compression on a forced induction engine so that they can ram more air and fuel in while maintaining a tunable effective compression. Lower compression is easier to tune. On race cars, you'll see turbocharged setups with static compression ratios of 17:1 or higher, but that's not for us peons and our street cars.

So... lower compression will only increase your power if you have the extra fuel and air added to the engine to take advantage of it. The aftermarket is full of parts that both raise and lower compression.

Originally posted by FirstAccord@Jul 18 2003, 07:10 PM
I love the way all you guys rush to answer her question. Like she's gonna pick the best answer, find out who wrote it, hunt them down and give them head. :p

Just FYI cause you all have helped me so much I awnser anything I'm able and that aint much but this is the most honest and best honda board I've even messed w/and it dosent take long to see the Admin. here makes that happen.thanks for that and we'll[I'll] keep givin my best .02 so I can keep it as my homepage :D

Originally posted by pills_PMD@Jul 18 2003, 03:13 PM
you have a lower compression ratio due to the size of the combustion chambers...

you would have higher CR with B18C head on a B16 block.

Warning all "Internet Pimps"!!!
You will go blind!!!
Ha!
:owned:
Thank you, Mr. Owned smiley!

Never trust a person on the internet "saying" they are a chick there are tons of freaks out there that do this kinda thing for attention... buyer beware! besides
Hi! I'm taking a more attentative stance on the auto culture since my boyfriend and his friends continue to talk more and more about cars.

:ph34r:

I'm gonna change my avatar to a hot chick and say I'm a girl who has a question,
next time I post.
Maybe you guys will answer my damned questions then...
:owned:
Thank you, Mr. Owned Smiley!

Ok guys... I mean hormone-driven animals... I put a collage pic on my account so that you guys will trust me. You guys suck.

Thanks for the information, for those that replied :) It's helpful, but remember, I only understand the basic, overall things. Anything with numbers and you lost me.

I want a drivable street car that won't cost much for gas and maintenance. But I want to occasionally race and run low 13's. Which do you guys suggest? Reading the other threads, I decided on three things:

LSVTEC

B16A2 w/ turbo

B16A2 w/ new pistons, rods, valves +90psi NO2

Which one is cheapest, will make my car run the fastest, and which mod would give me the most mpg? Oh, I drive a 1999 EK hatch if that helps at all. Thanks!

Originally posted by FirstAccord@Jul 18 2003, 07:10 PM

LMFAO :lol:

if you are worried about MPG I wouldn't go with a turbo.

if you are worried about cost and reliablility I wouldn't go LS/VTEC (a poperly built LS/VTEC might cost you as much as a GSR engine, GSR is a great engine) (I know I might get flamed for this)

B16A2 w/ NO2 would be good for driving around town and if you only want to occasionally race (at a track, please don't use NO2 on the street if you've never used NO2 before) then I would say NO2 would be good for occasional use. That way 90% of the time when you're not using your NO2 you will still have good MPG and daily drivability.

Not shure what you mean by 90psi NO2 though? somebody on this board recently posted a 13.?? time slip with a B16A/NO2 setup.

Cheapest and most mpg would be Ls/Vtec
Fastest would be B16A2 w/turbo but expensive
Don't get me wrong a worked B16A2 with a 90 shot of juice would be fast but i'd stay away from that. Just my opinion
If you don't want to spend money on a turbo drop in a: B18C1(gsr)
Ls/Vtec
or
B16A2 and work the motor
(pistons/cams/etc..)
The choice is yours. Have fun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back