Girlfriend's car

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

|Chaz|

VIP
Hey guys, my girlfriend has a 92' Hyundai Sonata (V6 model). It has a tendency of not wanting to start when /warm/hot. It reminds me of when I had to replace my main relay in my Civic. She recently put a new starter in it so that is not what's wrong with it. Battery has the correct voltage. Sometimes it starts, sometimes it doesn't. There have been a few times where her car wouldn't start for her for a couple hours.

Any suggestions as to where to start looking for issues. Hyundai has the full Helm's manual for download on an affiliated website for free so I downloaded that. It appears that her car also has a main relay. I don't know if the same symptoms as my Civic would apply to her car as a way to tell if her main relay needs to be replaced or not though. Any help would be appreciated. If we can't get it fixed by ourselves we'll be taking it to a shop to get it fixed.

Pull the main relay and open it up- sometime the solder joints crack in the Honda relays. Maybe the Hyundai is similar and you can reflow the solder...

I'm actually not really sure how to get at it... I was able to download the Helm's manual for the car from a Hyundai affiliated website, so I've been trying to figure out how to get at it. I think it's behind the dash, but I may be incorrect. It's really neat, Hyundai provides manuals for all of their vehicles for free on this site.

It shows this picture in the manual but I cannot for the life of me determine the location it is trying to show.

Attachments

• HyundaiStarterRelay.JPG
    HyundaiStarterRelay.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 168
Well apparently this is where it's at. Still not sure how to get to it. Note the relay box just left of the steering wheel.

Back