go sniper

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hondasaurus

in iraq, 250 insurgents vs 30 marines
"During the battle, the designated marksman single handedly thwarted a company-sized enemy RPG and machinegun ambush by reportedly killing 20 enemy fighters with his devastatingly accurate precision fire. He selflessly exposed himself time and again to intense enemy fire during a critical point in the eight-hour battle for Shewan in order to kill any enemy combatants who attempted to engage or maneuver on the Marines in the kill zone. What made his actions even more impressive was the fact that he didn't miss any shots, despite the enemies' rounds impacting within a foot of his fighting position."

FrontPage Magazine

Designated marksman are not snipers, they are generally the highest rated shooter in the platoon. That is impresive none the less.

sniper/marksman, oops. sometimes i play call of duty so much that i look outside and swear i see snipers in the windows.

good job marine.

now welcome to never sleeping through the night again...ever....

I am pretty sure if you where in a postion where it was kill or be killed you would have no problem sleeping at night. Killing is a social taboo nothing more, we have persisted thousands of years because of our ability to kill. Killing will screw with your head if you are not 100 percent confident that pulling the trigger was the only way out.

Killing will screw with your head if you are not 100 percent confident that pulling the trigger was the only way out.
i disagree to a point.

if you kill someone and have a mental image of someones brains blowing up, it's going to stick with you. you and i know several military vets, and nearly 100% of the ones that I know that have killed someone, will have issues forever.

i understand fight/flight, but it doesn't mean that you will be able to rest easy.

My point is, just because someone kills someone else does not mean they are going to automaticly suffer from PTSD. Several of my friends from highschool have served in Iraq and Afganistan and are have no problem sleeping at night. That doesnt mean they have not changed, which most of them have but they are not hollow shells of what they once where. No one will know for certain how someone is going to react to anything before they are put in that position.

Depends on the person. I know vets that won't talk about people they've killed and such, while others are pretty graphic. Matter of fact, a guy I talked to that was in Vietnam was describing how he would stomp out VC's head until their brains gush out so you know they're dead(he had a M79 most of the time).

I'm one of the people that wouldn't care about the other guy. I just think of it as war, I don't know the guy personally, so I don't take it personal. In the end, somebody has to die.

killing people.........it's what people do best

Not that I've ever done it or been in that situation, I believe that in a war, I could kill endless enemy combatants with no remorse whatsoever. But again, I've never actually been anywhere near that type of situation.

Back