god damn rap music.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by Blanco+Mar 18 2004, 08:34 PM-->
Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Mar 18 2004, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by 92b16vx@Mar 18 2004, 01:57 PM
Celerity
@Mar 18 2004, 07:48 PM
Here Here !   I agree with ktanaka on this one.

Rappers do nothing but drop brand names in their "songs" hoping to catch some sort of royalty at some point.  It's ridiculous.

Watch MTV Cribs sometime. It's funny. I pointed out that the black people featured in that (mostly Rappers and athletes) do nothing but buy plasma TVs.  The blacks on that show have plasma EVERYWHERE. Even in the bathroom.

And not a book in the crib.

The white people have art on the walls, books on the shelves and use their money wisely and perhaps even start a side business outside of their fame. 

Cliff Notes:  Blacks on Cribs have "Entertainment centers" while Whites have "Bookshelves"

-> Steve

So mister WASP, what exactly is your point?

Well, it's obvious. The white man is oppressing our brothers by forcing them to have high paying jobs that allow them to afford whatever they want, yet hold them at gun point to buy Plasma TVs, so the white man can buy up all the books.

Come on, isn't it obvious?

The point was, it's gone from P.E.'s "Fight the Power" and "Burn Hollywood, Burn" to "mo' money, mo' money" and bling-bling. And as you put it, no books = no brains.

Holy shit, some alert the media, Americas youth are buying rap in record amounts, and the rappers are buying *GASP* nice shit they couldn't afford before!!!!!

So just bcause the shallowness of an MTV show doesn't go indepth into the intellectual side of any of it's guest, I guess that means they aren't.

There are plenty of rap bands that promote a positive message, to bad, PEOPLE, want to see the bling blang. Maybe the people that want to see it should be blamed instead of those that have exploited it.

Originally posted by Loco Honkey+Mar 18 2004, 11:20 AM-->
Hatchbacks Anonymous
@Mar 18 2004, 01:51 PM

Entertainment Centers > Books anyday.

Not even close. It's nice to play a video game once in a while, but if you don't read, you don't excercise your brain, and you don't learn. You get dumb, you get lazy, and when it comes time to learn something, you're "out of shape" mentally, and have a hard time grasping simple concepts, such as the point I'm making. Undoubtedly, you won't agree with me, further proving my point.

I totally agree with you and fully understand the point you are making, but I would still chose Halo over Old Yeller. :D

Originally posted by Celerity@Mar 18 2004, 12:12 PM
Holiday Inn is a dumb song, written by dumb people. Rap exists in both it's pure forms (Lots of people still doing good beatbox)

:werd: I think that sums it all up. I still listen to the bling bling bullshit but I know that good music is still being made and the mainstream artist Kanye West. If you actually listen to his album, you'll hear him talk about all that stuff. He's not the only one bringing it up though. I think its West, Jay-z, Em, Mos Def, and Talib all to a certain extent.

"no chrome on the wheels, imma grown up fo real"
-jay-z

"i gotta apologize to mos and talib, i said when i started rappin i'd say something significant, but now i'm rappin bout money hoes and rims again"
-kanye
He really doesnt rap about all that shit but you get the point.

Originally posted by Loco Honkey+Mar 18 2004, 02:20 PM-->
Hatchbacks Anonymous
@Mar 18 2004, 01:51 PM

Entertainment Centers > Books anyday.

Not even close. It's nice to play a video game once in a while, but if you don't read, you don't excercise your brain, and you don't learn. You get dumb, you get lazy, and when it comes time to learn something, you're "out of shape" mentally, and have a hard time grasping simple concepts, such as the point I'm making. Undoubtedly, you won't agree with me, further proving my point.

I agree. However, reading a book to me more implies reading a novel. Most Novels are fiction. I like reading articles, technical stuff, etc. I don't really read for fun, nor do I read books. I read to learn, thus reinforcing your point.

Halo>Reading a novel.

Originally posted by Hatchbacks Anonymous@Mar 18 2004, 02:51 PM
I totally agree with you and fully understand the point you are making, but I would still chose Halo over Old Yeller. :D

Well duh, but that's a bad comparason. How about comparing Halo to... say... Maximum Boost, or some other technical, easy- to- understand book? Or my favorite- Cosmos by Carl Sagan... I've read that thing about ten times in the past six years. I love deep books in which every sentence has a profound meaning that makes you stop and ponder and go, "damn..." Sure, it takes a while to read, but what an invigorating read.

Nothing wrong with video games; I'm the VP of a video game company... but between the two, books are far more intellectually stimulating.

you're the VP of a video game company? sweet- and yeah i completely agree with you about reading though, i would personally much rather read an interesting book or a magazine before sitting in front of the computer and roasting my eyes out of their sockets like my fucktard roomate

im sorry but im a huge rap fan right now. especially some of these new guys that are really hot.

Kanye West - he fuckin rapped a song with his jaw wired shut, thats badass

Twista - in the guiness book of world records for worlds fastest rapper. nuff said

Lil Jon - WWWWHHHHAAAATTTTTT, OOOKKKAAAYYYY, YYYYEEEAAHHHH

sorry i had to throw that last one in, Dave Chappelle owns

Originally posted by Smonkeyboy@Mar 18 2004, 10:58 PM
Twista - in the guiness book of world records for worlds fastest rapper. nuff said

No shit? I love the first two Do or Die CD's PI...MP...ology

great - another music thread for everyone to argue over. Who sold out, what years were the best, etc...

Rap = just music
don't like = don't listen....

I love books and entertainment centers, I would rather have both.

Originally posted by 92b16vx+Mar 18 2004, 05:06 PM-->
Smonkeyboy
@Mar 18 2004, 10:58 PM

No shit? I love the first two Do or Die CD's PI...MP...ology

yeah they had a speech therapist come in and they slowed down his recordings so the therapist could count all the syllables(sp?)

BTW random fact the book most commonly stolen from the library is the Guiness book of world records.

Originally posted by Blanco@Mar 19 2004, 02:21 AM
Dude, seriously, how fucking eductated do you think the vast majority gangbangers and thugs really are? I grew up in the ghetto with Crips as my best friends for many years, I know how educated the vast majority are. Rap started in the streets and the "best" talent still comes from the streets. One of my old friends named Boo could free-flow to anything or nothing and it was tight as fuck, but he was also stupid as fuck when it came to anything other than street-smarts.

Holy shit someone alert you to the fact that you, in fact, don't know everything about the world and the way it works. Stop being an asshole for three seconds, step back and try to see what other people are saying.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, dude stop, I don't know if I can take anymore. I'm not even going to start on the people I grew up with, but I will tell you that most of them made it out alive and the ones that aren't in jail did pretty damn good for themselves. And I am not talking about your average gangbanger anyway, I am talking about the guys on yO MTV raps or whatever is big nowadays, I guess "Cribs" or what not. Ok you're right most probably don't know how to plot a three dimensional vector, but I bet you could get some meaningful conversation from them about something other than the price of platinum caps for you teeth.

Hate to bring a post back from the dead..... but a lot of the people that are really successful in the industry are doing much much more than just rapping. They've either gotten into producing where a lot of money is to be made or even bigger things like the clothing industry. For example Puffy stepped onto the small screen w/ "making the band" and runs his own clothing company. Master P even opened a sports agency among his five or so other businesses. Jay-z has his record label, clothing company, shoe deal w/ reebok, movie production company, AND a distribution deal for Swedish Armadale vodka. I didnt even mention his platinum albums.

My point is there are a good number of rap artists that are smart enough to be doing much more than what you see in an MTV video or whatever other b.s. media you could be watching.

that website is missing elements when you open it in mozilla.

Back