Goin crazy picking a turbo.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Well got the jdm b18b in and the gsr trans and she runs decent, im happy with the swap but dissapointed that I still didnt use a GSR motor over the LS motor, mostly for the fact of the redline placment. I kinda miss winding the GSR to 8100 no problem where the ls redline is at 6800 .

Regardless im going to work with what I have, I started to buy some turbo parts but im totally stuck on what turbo I want to run. I had soooo many people tell me different turbos that im going nuts and have no idea what to use. I think im more lost than I was originally.

Here are my power goals...using either Crome Pro, or Hondata (possibly neptune) I need to contact Jeff Evans and talk a bit with him. A full Kteller 3'' exhaust and 3'' downpipe, 38mm tial, and have not decided on manifold nor injectors yet, and yes fuel system will be upgraded as well.
On a stock motor im hoping for a 190-200 daily driver, and crank to 250-260whp. Possibly more, possibly less i plan to use a boost controller, so ill figure that out with the tune. Just a reliable number.

The original turbo every one mentioed was a t3/t4 with 57trim and .60 comp .63 exhaust.
I was looking more towards this turbo until I was told to expect a full spool at almost 5k, really more like 4300-4500. Just not too sure this is the best idea again on a motor that had redline at 6800. Sure i dont want to be full boost all the time, but do i really want to shift at redline every time just to feel the power? Will it have reallly bad lag until it hits about 4k?
I was told to look into the 18g as well but doubt that will meet my power needs.
Also told to look at a gt28rs, but price is a little high on those.
Lastly i was told to get a t3/t04e in either any trim with the .48 AR for a spool at about 3200-4000 that should be exactly what im looking for and put out pretty good numbers.

My question is which turbo should i really look for, again with those numbers i would really like to see full spool at about 3500, maybe 3800-4000 and still have it not fall on its face at redline with room to upgrade.
With my gsr trans im at 60mph in 4th at 4k, so of course i dont want full boost on the highway at like 70-80mph, but then again i dont want to redline every shift to get power.

I think that your first option is your best choice. I think that smaller turbo that you mentioned will top out even on an LS.

^^^^^^^^

:withstupid: :withstupid: :withstupid: :withstupid: :withstupid: :withstupid:
whats your budget?
this turbo is fine...t3/t4 with 57trim and .60/.63

but i would get atleast a fat crower turbo cams and valve gear to extend the rpm......and a skunk IM/TB and gears..... case closed....then get P&P or piston rods

Quoted post[/post]]
I think that your first option is your best choice. I think that smaller turbo that you mentioned will top out even on an LS.

My budget...i really have no budget. Im slowly gathering parts so this way im not shelling out a couple grand all at one time.

I was thinking cams and what not a little later on after its already boosted.

But you guys still reccomend a 57 trim with .63 ar, you dont think that that spool time will be a little slow???

Quoted post[/post]]
you need to look ahead and spend money once....

I found this to be the hard way, this is the way i did my motor swap, and im big into quad racing and built my quads this way. For me its harder to save up about 9k to shell out parts to build a race quad. Instead buy the parts slowly over a few months and end with the same product.

I did my b18b motor and gsr trans swap into my 97 hatch this way, couldnt afford both at the same time so i got the motor, let it sit a month then got the tranny, then got all the other little parts and 2 weeks after i got the tranny my swap was done.

what i meant was buy the turbo that will last through the entire build......

dont buy a small turbo now then 6 months later buy a bigger one because you got pistons and rods and you ran out of psi

thats what i mean

I really dont think the spool time will hurt ESPECIALLY since you arent changing your bottom end. If you changed your bottom end i might say otherwise, but if you are going to build the bottom, you can push more psi and youre back where you started. I stand behind my previous statement. And if you upgrade your valvetrain, you can effectively move your redline.

48's are useless on b-series.

i'd go with a 60/63. with your trans you won't fall out of boost range on shifts with the larger turbo.

you'll spool long before 5k. who ever told you that is an asshat.
you'll see positive boost by 3200-3500 and full (whatever that setting may be) within 1000rpms.

Quoted post[/post]]
48's are useless on b-series.

i'd go with a 60/63. with your trans you won't fall out of boost range on shifts with the larger turbo.

you'll spool long before 5k. who ever told you that is an asshat.
you'll see positive boost by 3200-3500 and full (whatever that setting may be) within 1000rpms.

Thank you, exactly what im looking for.

and formby, sorry i didnt understand what you were fully saying at first.

If i do upgrade the valvetrain with cams, possibly a port and polish while its off and some new valves what can i safely revv the ls motor to without fear of floating a valve or having piston-valve issues?

IMO an 18G would work fine for 250hp on a B18B.

He could probably get 250hp from a 16G as well . . .the eclipse guys do it all the time.

INstant b00st y0

Well im sticking with a t3/t4 for sure, everyone on Honda-tech is still telling me to go with a 57 trim t3/t04e with a .48/.50 ar and not the .63 ar. And that there is no way ill surpass that turbo.

you won't.... until you want more, do head work, do bottom end work... do cams.... and then you'll wish you went with the slightly larger one form the beginning. :)

you lag in 1st gear when you're racing, thats about it.

:ditto:

i was thinking the same thing when i was shopping for my turbo, i wanted something that would spool by 3k and not be too big, but then i found a .60/.63 t3/t4 instead of a straight t3 that i was looking at for the same price and picked that up. I figure i can deal with the lag for the extra top end, and when i feel like upgrading i wont have to get a bigger turbo, just turn up the boost

Back