Going back to school

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.
E lives in the basement already.

No one in their right might will share a bathroom with him, including me, and i'm not giving up my master suite w/ bath for someone else to rent. Plus, there's really no room for another car. we have 2 each, so anyone else will be blocking someone all the time = pain in the ass.

My parents paid for me the first time around, and i let them down by dropping out, effectively wasting 50 grand of their money already. They also paid for my tech school i went to the year after. My dad took early retirement. My mom doesn't make a whole lot (pretty much just works to get health insurance and some income until they are 65). the majority of their money is tied up in retirement accounts, not in savings style accounts. They've also been REAL good to me in recent times. They paid for my wisdom teeth removal ($4k), and when i was short on bills this summer, they helped me by paying off the last few thousand I owed on my truck to effectively up my cash flow by 300 a month.

They've already done more than enough for me and I will not ask them for more.

I won't have time to work more if i'm going to be doing school work on top of my regular work too.

i dunno man. as i mentioned before, you're kind of backed into a corner. worst case scenario, i guess you could sell everything, move back to your parents and rent out the whole house while you continue what you are doing. i just don't understand the loan situation though. i am fully employed and probably gross the same amount as you. probably have extremely similar income/debt ratio. i would try a new school and filling out a new fafsa for 2011.

This was a 2011 form.
I don't have an income to debt ratio. 1:1 isn't a ratio. lol
There is no way i'm moving home, especially if i don't have to. And besides, i could never rent it out for anywhere near my mortgage payment.
3 @ what i charge E doesn't cover my mortgage, let alone bills that we spit within that rent (cable/net/power/etc etc) 4 covers mortgage. 5 covers the bills. There are not 5 bedrooms, and who the hell wants to share a bathroom with 3 strangers?

NIGHT MARE.

How expensive is your tuition going to be? And Why will you be 20k annually short on tuition?

My roommate's law school tuition is only 7k a qtr......

I think taking loans the entire time should still be worth it. My step brother when to Whorton living on loans racked up 200k in debt. Was still worth it.

How expensive is your tuition going to be? And Why will you be 20k annually short on tuition?

My roommate's law school tuition is only 7k a qtr......

It's an adult-oriented program. There is no summer/winter breaks, etc. It's 2 classes every 8 weeks instead of 5 for 16 weeks, break for winter, 5 for 16 weeks, break for summer.

It's 29,000 a year. I got 9500 in loan approval. I'm 20 grand short, per year (basically 3 semesters).

The plan was to rack it all up (about 75,000) in all subsidized loans (don't earn interst while in school) and pay it after i graduated (starts accruing interest 6 months after grad).

Doesn't look like it's going to happen.

Again, I have a xference call mon at 3 with the fin aid lady to go over the doc, so we'll see what she has to say. Maybe i'm reading it wrong.....

Attachments

• finaid1.png
    finaid1.png
    70 KB · Views: 122
  • finaid2.png
    finaid2.png
    69.6 KB · Views: 127
fyi, that is the undergrad only. the graduate courses are actually cheaper. 5xx a credit hour instead of 8xx a credit hour.

I'd look into a different program. Adult Oriented Schmoriented, One program isn't the only program man.

other programs are similarly priced.... i don't see how it will make any difference considering it's a FEDERAL loan.

It's 29,000 a year. I got 9500 in loan approval. I'm 20 grand short, per year (basically 3 semesters).
I get approved for over $16k a year. I live at home and don't have a mortgage. I would be willing to bet that that $9500 is per term or at least $9500 for the fall then $9500 for the spring.
The plan was to rack it all up (about 75,000) in all subsidized loans (don't earn interst while in school) and pay it after i graduated (starts accruing interest 6 months after grad).
My unsubsidized racked up a total of like $80 this year. The difference between the two is a drop in the bucket in the long run.

Keep us informed how everything turns out though. I'd like to get another Masters in Business Management when I'm done, but I'd prefer the completely online set-up.

you might have to go to a brick and mortar school then. i am taking out about $35,000 in loans this year. something isn't right.

Stupid question but why can't you take out both Fedral and a bank student loan?

My wife is in grad school full time right now and she is getting enough to pay her tuition, rent and cover half the mortgage. And that was based off of her working half the year full time. I bet it goes up no that she is a full time student for the entire year. B are you sure that 9xxx wasn't per semester?

you might have to go to a brick and mortar school then. i am taking out about $35,000 in loans this year. something isn't right.

That's a chunk of change. Yesterday my roommate had us guessing how much Law school was for an entire year. aka 3 qtrs. 22k. Not bad at all.

If they were for the year then wouldn't they span the whole year? Right now they go from Feb to Oct. Which is roughly a semester worth of time. Right - am I missing something?

Just got off the phone with finaid. Don't know how they got these numbers, but they are much better, but still not full.

cost: 6240 per term (16 weeks)
unsub loan: 4750 per term (the 9500 award for the 'year' / 2)
= short 1490 per term

since fed aid go by years assuming 2 semesters, not 3 semesters, i need to reply for fin aid in 8 months and do it all over again for the start of the 3rs semester.

3 terms per year roughly = 4470 short per year.

Does not account for books/other expenses. tuition only.

So, i'm probably 6k short a year right now.

Which is still well beyond what i can afford.

They are going to file a budget amendment for me to see if i can get some more money out of the loans.

Have to wait a few days for that to come back and go from there.

Just got off the phone with finaid. Don't know how they got these numbers, but they are much better, but still not full.

cost: 6240 per term (16 weeks)
unsub loan: 4750 per term (the 9500 award for the 'year' / 2)
= short 1490 per term

since fed aid go by years assuming 2 semesters, not 3 semesters, i need to reply for fin aid in 8 months and do it all over again for the start of the 3rs semester.

3 terms per year roughly = 4470 short per year.

Does not account for books/other expenses. tuition only.

So, i'm probably 6k short a year right now.

Which is still well beyond what i can afford.

They are going to file a budget amendment for me to see if i can get some more money out of the loans.

Have to wait a few days for that to come back and go from there.

Once again are you able to make up the difference with a private bank/CU student loan on top of what you are getting from Fed Aid?

Ok, from what I've read here, it sounds like you'd be better off financially going to a "physical" school. You said 2 classes every 8 weeks, right? That's only 19.5 credits a year if every class is 3 credits. I go to school at Texas Tech; for 25 credits this year, it was less than $8300. That's for classes and misc fees. It doesn't account for books or housing (you already live in a house anyway).

How many state schools are there within a 30 minute radius of where you live? 1 hour radius?

On top of that, if what you posted is correct, you are saving neither time nor money by doing it online. You are only gaining convenience. Alot of physical schools have online classes now to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back