Going to be a daddy...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

invisibledemon

Bored
VIP
Wife is about 7 weeks along.

not sure what i got myself into. lol.
excited though.

Congrats sir. Just remeber here in a few years you will almost never have to get anything out of the fridge.

and i wont have to worry about where the remote control is. lol.

thanks.

we're excited
she made me tell my family, which i didnt want to do, because now i get to listen to them talk and talk and talk. and its going to get worse once we tell them how we are going to be raising the kid. they wont like that they wont be watching tv til he/she is at least 3 or 4 years old. and we wont be teaching about santa either.

and not a game over for me, i will still go out and play if i want, the wife can keep the kid. shes a homebody anyway and doesnt like going out very often.

and not a game over for me, i will still go out and play if i want, the wife can keep the kid. shes a homebody anyway and doesnt like going out very often.

I would tread lightly my friend. But chances are if you are any kind of man you wont mind hanging out at home on a Friday night with your family. Shit changes when you have a little one. I'm not saying it does a 180 but priorities shift quit a lot. Granted my son was born when I was much younger than you but one of the hardest things I had to deal with where friends that did not have kids. They blamed everything on my old lady and didn't understand that i didn't want to go get plowed every spare minute I had.

Just make sure after the wee one is born you guys make some time to hang out alone with out the kid. Not trying to be Debbie Downer but trying to offer some perspective from a younger gent who has a kid.

no its cool.
i dont go out often.
if i do, i just meet up with a friend at a place in our downtown area (a 16 block downtown that i work in and live within walking distance) and am usually home before 9.

im already an old man by partying/going out standards. never been a party person. and usually only hang out with one or two friends at a time.
99% of the things i do would be safe for a kid to be there, even the pub i occasionally get a drink at is a family friendly place.
and my friends without kids are completely kid people, so they would enjoy hanging out with us at our place and play with the kid.

i understand that life wont be the same, and i am fully embracing that. but, if i want to go out and play, that usually means sitting at one of two restaurants in franklin and talking with friends and being home by 9 or 10. lol.

they wont like that they wont be watching tv til he/she is at least 3 or 4 years old. and we wont be teaching about santa either.
Good job about the TV. We didn't let ours watch any TV until 2 1/2. She loves reading books and has very good attention span (I think) because of not watching TV so young.

Why no Santa? Wait till you see how happy and excited they get about Christmas, you might change your mind.

Is your wife going to be a stay at home mom?

yeah, our plan is books. and i believe the lack of attention span is due to tv at a young age, and people using it as a babysitter instead of actively participating in a baby/toddlers early learning.

no santa because my wife and i both think its a stupid thing to do. i personally dont care much for holidays, neither does she, but her reasons for no santa are more religious. the comparisons between santa and god are too close and when you tell a kid that santa is fake, they may start to doubt other things as well. its what happened to her. im not religious so i could care less about that aspect.
we want our kid to know that holidays are not a time to be greedy and just want to get presents but to spend time with family and people you love that you dont get to see all the time.

we wouldnt do gifts either, but i dont want to have the only kid that doesnt get presents. i loved getting gifts, and had a friend growing up that was jahovas witness and didnt celebrate birthdays or xmas, wasnt fun being the only kid in the neighborhood to not get something on those days. so, we will be doing gifts, just wont be from santa.

we are planning for my wife to be a stay at home mom. we both really want that. we are going to be applying for a mortgage here soon once our taxes are filled (shes self employed so we have to wait til taxes are dont to have her proof of income) after we sign and finalize a house i will be looking for a new job.

if i can find a gig that pays around 25k-30k/year then we will be comfortable enough that she can stay at home and still have enough to save/spend.

also planning on homeschooling. i dont trust what the public school system has become.

other than the home schooling bit, looks like a solid plan :thumbsup:

everyone i know who was home schooled is just fucking odd

I think homeschooling can work as long as the child gets interaction with other kids. Sports, clubs and other orginized activities. Being well adjusted socially is just as important as the book smart stuff.

Wife is about 7 weeks along.

not sure what i got myself into. lol.
excited though.
I offer you and your wife my congratulations brother. You'll figure it out as you go.

Let me offer you a perspective - Santa Claus is the spirit of Christmas and giving ans sharing - nothing more and nothing less.

I enjoyed the thrill and magic of Santa Claus as a child and now I pass that joy on to others - be it donations to save stray dogs or money for bicycles to children of needy families at Christmas.

58 years old and every December it's now my turn to be Santa for somebody. My group at work purchased and donated 6 kid sized bicycles to needy families this past year - there were 6 more smiling young faces in the world as a result. :)

You'll be a good daddy. :thumbsup:

Back