1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going to Be Getting a Track Dedicated Motorcycle.

Discussion in 'Members' Lounge' started by |Chaz|, May 1, 2012.

1. |Chaz|

|Chaz| Well-Known Member VIP

My Dad rides his 2004 CBR 1000rr down at Pacific Raceways and the new road course in Shelton. He wants me to get a bike to ride with him so we've been browsing for one that's mostly setup for the track. Here's one we're considering currently. 2000 750 track/racebike only. I'm excited, I have quite a bit of experience riding in the dirt, but he wants to get me on out there on the track. It's going to be awesome, him and I are all about going fast. He'd prefer we find a 600cc, but we might end up getting this one, depends on what he thinks, he's the bike guru.

He's been doing it for a few years now and been riding bikes since before he's been able to walk.

2. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

i know its only for track use, but try to score something with a title
    that way you know an insurance company or bank isn't going to come looking for it in the future, and it opens more doors when you decide to sell/upgrade to a different bike

in for the read on your track day experiences
    i've never done track time but have always been curious how it all works out
    should sharpen your street skills up quickly also

3. |Chaz|

Yea, I'm kinda along for the ride myself, my Dad is pretty savvy so I'm sure whatever we end up getting will be legit. Most of the road guys up here are all good guys from what I've heard, at least in the class that he runs in.

We'll be getting the bike for me for only track days, he doesn't want me riding on the street. Understandable considering all the crazy drivers we have around here, and he knows that I'm like him and would have a hard time keeping a reasonable speed on the road. So just sticking track now.

4. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

your dad is a smart man
    good hobby to enjoy together also

5. double0Si

double0Si ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) VIP

6. awptickes

awptickes unimpressed by you VIP

Many sanctioning bodies are mandating a title now, to stem the flow of stolen bikes as they enter the racing circuit. Call your local PD and ask them to run the VIN, look it up on the stolen bike registry.
    stolenmotorcycleregistry.com new server

Some of the best riders I know only ride on the track.

7. |Chaz|

We won't be going with that bike. A 750 is far too much power for me at this point. We're looking at an SV650 that has already been setup for the track with more aerodynamic fairings, tires, exhaust, etc.

Thanks for the link awptickes. I agree, as much fun as it seems to play the public roads motorcycle video game, kinda sucks that you only get one life to play with. My Dad got into an accident in 2000 when he had just gone out for a "short" ride and he almost didn't come back. It's just not worth it to me as much fun as it sounds like it would be.

8. |Chaz|

We're trying to get this one for $1400.

1999 SV (14k miles) $1700 OBO
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    00 GSXR Front End (Shocks, Brakes etc)
    Attack Adjustable Rear Sets
    Racing Aluminum Sub-frame
    Race Clip-Ons
    MW Bodywork
    Double Bubble Windscreen
    R and G Frame Savers
    Swing Arm Spools
    Stainless Steel Brake Lines
    New Metzeler Sportec Tires F/R
    Various Stock Parts
    Front and Rear Stands

[​IMG]

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=11BE96DF0ED72E3D&id=11BE96DF0ED72E3D!279

More pictures.

9. awptickes

Good deal for a track bike, as long as you get those brake levers and lines changed.

10. |Chaz|

11. awptickes

The front lever looks broken, then ground down.

The rear fluid line is what, fuel line? It looks like it'll get looped around your heel.

Looks like they left the 1st gen SV rear brake caliper and added a GSX-R rear caliper on top of it.

12. awptickes

FYI, those ARE NOT SS BRAKE LINES IN THE PICTURES.

One lie usually means another. Stay away from this one.

13. |Chaz|

Yea, I see that. We'll see how the bike looks in person. It's a friend of a friend's bike, whatever that means. My Dad is the one that found it. Looks like the pictures were taken in 8/1/2011. So maybe they have since rectified that. Who knows.

Thanks for your comments though optics, I hadn't noticed those issues in the pictures till you pointed them out.

14. |Chaz|

Hey if any of you other bikers know anyone that wants to get rid of a size 40 UK leather 1 or 2 piece suit for a reasonable price let me know.

15. awptickes

check the svrider forums.

Also check motostrano.com I got my Alpinestars jacket for like 50% off.

1 person likes this.
  16. |Chaz|

Been checking it daily ;). Ok I'll check the other site. It's time to start a new thread btw... I've got a new toy to show off :D.

17. civicious

civicious FüK-VTEC VIP

That SV looks like a bucket of shit. WTF is up with the rear brake line? Also, you don't want frame sliders on a racebike...that things slides off the track and the slider digs into the dirt it'll snap the ear off the frame. Bodywork is a LOT cheaper than a new frame.

SV's are great starter bikes, but don't get a shitty one. Don't get something carburetted, go with FI - so you'll want a 2nd gen. Don't worry too much about fairings, either..they're just one more thing to break, and realistically they don't make THAT much difference on a lightweight.

Get on the WERA board and check their classifieds...there's always plenty of stuff on there. I think a few race prepped SV's are for sale on the CMRA forum as well.

I've been building racebikes and racing them as well for a few years now, LMK if there's anything I can do to help you out with findin' a good one...worst thing you can do is buy a bucket.

Last edited: May 14, 2012
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted