golden eagle electric water pump

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

seanjuan

I'll be replacing my timing belt soon and am considering switching to an electric water pump... I know golden eagle has a full setup for this and was wondering if anyone on here has used it or has thoughts on it

I don't expect huge gains in power or mpg at all from it but it seems like it might be a good all around upgrade

I currently have a stock b16a that will be getting a set of skunk2 stage 1 cams when the timing belt gets replaced

nobody on here knows anything about these?

I know the new BMW 3 series engine is using an electric water pump and they claim that is frees up 2hp... not huge but worth a couple bucks

:werd:

Plus an electric pump in place of the mechanical one on a Honda block is a more complex system than the original.

agreed you gain power from less rotating mass but gain more electric draw 1 to 1 stay with the factory pump

Originally posted by Calesta@Mar 17 2005, 10:49 PM
Interesting thread. I'll stay with the mechanical one for now.
[post=475106]Quoted post[/post]​

yeah, I read the HT thread... interesting
It seams like you could run the pump continuous and leave your thermostat in place and that would solve the warm up time issue, plus that would still allow coolant to allways be available for the heater core in case you live in a cold weather state and drive your car in the winter

I wonder if the pump is capable of varying speed... supose I'll have to contact golden eagle for that bit of info

I saw someone on HT advertising the whole setup with the idler pulley for $199

and I don't think this setup would change your timing belt config at all as long as you put the idler pulley in

I'll have to get more info on how the BMW 3 series engine controls the electric pump that it is using now (the new engine)
maybe hondata could add a program for controlling a pump

Originally posted by TWISTEDIMAGE@Mar 17 2005, 11:57 PM
agreed you gain power from less rotating mass but gain more electric draw 1 to 1 stay with the factory pump
[post=475144]Quoted post[/post]​

it's more than just the rotating mass... a water pump isn't exactly big or tough to spin... it's the fluid resistance that you are really eliminating
and I don't think a 4amp draw is going to negate that... if that is the case then turning on the radio would be a 5hp loss (assuming you aren't running any external amps)

the problem with just keeping the thermostat in is itll put alot of pressure on the electric pump(because water wouldnt be moving, so the pump would be stalling(?) in a sense). in the instrution manual it tells you to drill 2 holes in the thermostat anyways. what i was thinking though, is a way to bypass the thermostat valve and circulate the cooled water back to the radiator, instead of through the engine.

Back