Good Books

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dustin_m

So the few posts in the "B got dumped" thread about books made me start this new one.

Like is said over there, I just finished reading Donny Duetsch's book "Often Wrong, Never In Doubt". I got it for xmas from my mom, and wasn't sure about it at first. It was pretty good though, and wasn't boring at all. It's basically his take on business and good management/people skills.

I also just got done reading two books by Noah Levine, "Dharma Punks" and "Against The Stream". He is a Buddhist teacher who came from a punk background, and somewhat of a rough lifestyle. the first book is his personal story, the second is a book about the core values of Buddhism, and the way of life. Both were really good books if you have any interest at all about eastern religions.

So what books have you read that you think are must reads?

"Changing Planes" by Ursula K LeGuin. Fictional, but it's all about perception and how your reality is purely your own.

Also, you MUST get / read / watch "What the @*(#@ do we know" (also known as "What the Bleep do we know")

Also, Larry Winget's "Shut up, Stop Whining, and get a life". Larry Winget is the financial expert. The book is just plain good.

i read Sully Erna's book titled The Paths We Choose. pretty good book i thought. its him telling about how he grew up and all the stuff he did as a kid and all the bands he had been in which all lead to the forming of Godsmack. good read i thought :)

"What the Bleep" is a series that I've lectured on twice. It's good, but a few of the people in the movie have threatened to sue for being taken out of context, and so much so that they aren't even writing about what they were quoted as saying.

Again, it's another tool in the toolbox of existentialism. not to be the alpha and omega of the process. But it DOES easily describe quantum physics in such a way that everyone can understand it.

I haven't read "rich dad, poor dad"

For leisure reading anything by Barry Eisler is great. His assassin series is fiction, but highly based on research and real world experiences.

When I'm in the mood for a raunchy, funny read I pick up Tucker Max's, "I Hope They Served Beer in Hell" and am eagerly awaiting the release of his new book.

Non-fiction;
Steven Covey - anything in his series
Robert T. Kiyosaki - Rich Dad, Poor Dad
John C. Maxwell - anything in his series
James C Collins - Good to Great
Robin Baker - Sperm Wars -> great to understand the pscyhe of females.

Last edited:
I've read Rich Dad, Poor Dad and thought it was good. I just went to Borders and picked up 7 Habits, and also was looking at Kyosaki's "Cashflow Quadrant" also, bu decided to get that later.

i highly recomend The Vampire Chronicles. by anne rice
even if you arent really into vampires, the way she writes, just takes you into the story.
or "Servant of the Bones" also by anne rice.

or theres always the harry potter series.
i dont care what anybody says, they are a really good read. good and long and nicely detailed.

"Nothing In This Book Is True, But It's Exactly How Things Are"
by: Bob Frissell

Steve, if you havent already read it, you would love this book

i highly recomend The Vampire Chronicles. by anne rice
even if you arent really into vampires, the way she writes, just takes you into the story.
or "Servant of the Bones" also by anne rice.

or theres always the harry potter series.
i dont care what anybody says, they are a really good read. good and long and nicely detailed.
I have Lasher sitting on my bookshelf. My mom gave it to me and said they are great books, just never got around to reading it.

I like the oldies:

Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey to the Heart of the American Dream - Hunter S. Thompson
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest - Ken Kesey
The Counte of Monte Crisco - Alexandre Dumas
The Brothers Karamazov - Fyodor Dostoevsky
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
Princess Bride - William Goldman
Gulliver's Travels - Johnathan Swift
The Doors of Perception and Heaven and Hell - Aldous Huxley
Also the classics like 1984, Animal Farm, To Kill a Mockingbird,

I hope They Serve Beer in Hell (but I think this has already been said) - Tucker Max
Anything by James Patterson

so many more...

Last edited:
Anything grisham.

Most recently, I'm about done with The Appeal. I've read everything else by him, carl hiassen, dan brown, clive cussler, etc. Most fiction. Lots of other american novels as well. I usually can finish a book in a single day or two depending on my mood. I actually can't get through steinbeck though quickly, mostly because one page digests rarely a single spoken sentence.

I've read a few of Kiyosaki's books, starting with Rich Dad, Poor Dad and they're awesome. I actually got them back out the other day to read again - my goal for when I finish school.

I've read a few of the Vampire Chronicles and I liked those too. Anne Rice is extremely discriptive and writes intriguing story lines, so like it was said above, she sucks you right in.

I had to read The End of Poverty by Jeffery Sachs and Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond for Economic Geography in school. (That class was INTENSE!) Guns was good, but I didn't agree with everything, but still well written. I liked The End of Poverty a bit more. I would like to read it again though.

I think once I graduate (which'll be in a month or so, w00t :w00t:) I will make it a point to read more. I really like reading, but I've had it with textbooks :fosho:

"Nothing In This Book Is True, But It's Exactly How Things Are"
by: Bob Frissell

Steve, if you havent already read it, you would love this book

Sounds like something I would love. I'll put it at the top of the list.

Max brookes "Zombie Survival Guide" and "World War Z" are both 2 wonderful books I enjoyed them quite a bit. The books take a serious approach to what to do in case of a zombie invasion, interesting reads.

zombiepyramid.jpg

When ever I travel I alway take "All the Kings Men" by Robert Penn Warren or "Digital Fortress" by Dan Brown. Both keep me highly interested no matter how many times I read them. I usually don't travel too much so it isn't like I read them monthly.

Structures: Or, Why Things Don't Fall Down
or anything by by J. E. Gordon

Another favorite "The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test" by Tom Wolfe

Back