1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

good Deal on Guitar?

Discussion in 'Members' Lounge' started by Dustin_m, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Dustin_m

Dustin_m Active Member

A store in the mall has a Fender Starcaster electric guitar with a small amp, strap, and case for $98. this is cuz they were 199 and are 1/2off now. I was gonna get one to learn on. Is this a good deal? And how is the sound of a low end Yamaha acoustic compared to a low end Fender acoustic, because i saw a fender for 99 bucks, and a yamaha for 180 bucks, the yamaha looks nicer, but i dont know much about guitars.

2. caffeind

caffeind Senior Member

its not a strat.

check these out: http://www.rondomusic.net/sik1.html http://www.rondomusic.net/gg1siiboblk.html http://www.rondomusic.net/sst57.html http://www.rondomusic.net/si61na.html http://www.rondomusic.net/sst62qmd.html http://www.rondomusic.net/stl50.html

imo rondo carries the best low priced guitars out there. wtf pwn the squier cheapo guitars. if you have any questions email them. They will mail you back within 2 hours (during business hours).

also check out: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums...p?s=&forumid=41
    i'd say 70% of the people who post there have bought from rondo music. I've never read a single thread of complaint about their guitars.

3. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

At that level, they all suck, it doesn't even matter. The wood used is cheap, the construction is cheap, the electronics are cheap, and the sound will be cheap. The action will feel sticky, and overal not pleasant to play. Give me $4000 and I'll build you one :)

4. Dustin_m

Dustin_m Active Member

damn, im just gonna learn on it

5. corvetteguy

corvetteguy Senior Member

Dude, my GF bought me a starter kit on ebay last christmas, awesome deal, was guitar, stand, books and electric tuner and strings for 79 bucks, but shit if you just wanna learn DO THIS

Learn the cheap way

6. xj0hnx

While PRS makes a damn fine guitar, $4000 for a one of a kind handmade is a retarded good price :blink:

7. adnoh

adnoh Senior Member

I fully agree with 92B16vx.......at that price they'll all sound like crap....
    But the thing you'll notice the most at that price point is that your guitar will go out of tune all the time. The strat that you saw uses very soft wood in comparison to more expensive models and is proned to warping and overall flex. I promise you in the long run it will be beneficial to you to spend just a little more on a starter guitar. Maybe give your self a budget of $200 instead of $100. The diffrence in materials and electronics will be like night and day.

My reccomendation for a good starter guitar would be an Epiphone......Gibson SG body style, a few humbuckers, slap on some medium gauge strings and you'll have a great starter guitar. I own a G-400 custom Epiphone (Les Paul Custom, SG body, one piece, pearl white w/gold hardware [one of 7 guitars i own]) and I love it for rockin out at home.
    Other brands to stick with would be Ibanez, or Godin (if you have it in the states).

Have fun.

Epiphone Guitars:

G400

G310

Godin Guitars:

performance series

8. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

i absolutely hate the way cheap fenders play and sound.

and i'm talking up to 500-750 ish cheap. they just suck. the only good fender is a $1000+ fender.

if you're loking for something to learn on, i suggest you go to your local pawn shop, and play them all- even if you can't play. just hold it and press on the strings, and get the one that feels the most comfortable to you.

learnign guitar is a long tedious process and your fingers will hurt like a bitch. so its good to get something comfortable.

i really gotta get back into playing. i haven't touched my stuff in over a year now :(

9. adnoh

adnoh Senior Member

:werd:

10. Battle Pope

Battle Pope New Member

I really like the way my Warlock NJ series sounds...

11. 94RedSiGal

94RedSiGal Senior Member

Much much better deals on musical instruments are to be found in the classifieds like craigslist.

12. MaaseyRacer

MaaseyRacer Senior Member

Yes 94redsigal is right, Craigslist has great stuff on it. For beginers a squire is fine, you are just learning and will be ditching that guitar in a year or so any way. Get it thrash it sell it for 50 bucks and get a better one. Honesly I would start off acustic, as it is easier to just pick up play/practice. Then you can start playing with an electric, and seeing all the cool tricks that can be done with an electric.

13. 94RedSiGal

94RedSiGal Senior Member

You learn better fingering techniques if you start with an acoustic. And generally whatever you find and buy on craisglist should keep a 100% of its value if you take care of it. That Fender Starcaster is probably worth only $50 used. Make sure whatever guitar you buy has good intonation and a straight neck.

14. caffeind

caffeind Senior Member

for $99 bucks get this http://www.rondomusic.net/si61na.html
    It has a maple neck with rosewood fretboard which is nice, and an ash body which isnt that bad. tremolo bar will put it out of tune easily but thats true on anything without a locking nut. still it'd be nice to learn on.

but yeah, for $200 you could get something a lot nicer.

15. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

also check out Daddy's junky music

16. xj0hnx

Yea, I stopped trying to keep up with percussion when my buddy took me to help him pick a new set.

The problem I have with a cheap guitar is staying in tune. You can't learn if your guitar doesn't stay in tune, guitars with crappy hardware go out of tune. Also the necks feel gross. I like SG's neck, kind of wide across the fretboard (I have long fingures) and thin. You need to find one that is comfortable to play, or that will be one more reason you have to quit.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted