Good deal?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Prowler

Super Moderator
Project car time. My daily driver Civic just needs some paint and tuning and it'll be done for quite a while. I now want something that I don't have to worry about needing to use every day. A car that can be gutted out and worked on for weeks at a time in my garage.

In town there's a 94 Si for sale with an SirII / GSR tranny swap. 75K on the motor, 16xK on the Chassis. It has Skunk2 coilovers and Tokico blues, everything else is stock.

Here's my question, what is it worth? It's local, which is worth a lot to me. Also, it's nearly stock with a clean body. Mainly just lowered and the engine, otherwise stock Si.

My concerns: high miles on the chassis and the powersteering was removed. Is it that hard to drive w/o power steering? The asking price is $5000. Is $4500 fair to offer or is that too much?

I raced it with my Civic and lost by a car and a half, but I am still untuned. The car pulls decently and sounds good, but I haven't decided if I should be seriously interested in it enough to get a loan and take it for a test drive.

Thoughts?

2005-07-29019.jpg

You won't even be able to tell it doesn't have power steering in the EG. MAYBE when you're in a parking lot and have to turn the wheel a couple times around. But seriously, I'd rather drive a non-PS EG than one that has it. About the price, $4500 doesn't sound too bad, but maybe try to offer 4k. See what you can get away with.

looks like a clean car. but the ride will be shitty with that suspension. skunk2 coil overs have pretty high spring rates and tokico blues are nearly good enough to handle them. other then that it looks nice. id probably pic it up if i had the cash.

Quoted post[/post]]
You won't even be able to tell it doesn't have power steering in the EG. MAYBE when you're in a parking lot and have to turn the wheel a couple times around. But seriously, I'd rather drive a non-PS EG than one that has it. About the price, $4500 doesn't sound too bad, but maybe try to offer 4k. See what you can get away with.

Agreed.

Non power steering in the del sol was the best possible "feature" in my del sol. Since the car is an econo box, the older models with power steering tend to have a really loose feeling and are harder for me to drive because I tend to overcorrect. I need a wheel thats going to be stiffer to drive to my fullest potential.

Tokico d specs = very good bang for the buck struts. better than the kyb agx's. more easily adjustable with a turn key and just better build quality.

ground control coilovers - everyone raves about them, I don't have any experience.

The part that truly matters is how many miles on the suspension and how does the car feel when it drives now?

As for the swap, I'm normally weary of cars with swaps unless its by a certified mechanic and even then I like to see a history of the mechanic, the engine, and the car but thats just personal preference.

Quoted post[/post]]
looks like a clean car. but the ride will be shitty with that suspension. skunk2 coil overs have pretty high spring rates and tokico blues are nearly good enough to handle them. other then that it looks nice. id probably pic it up if i had the cash.

Did you mean tokico d specs are "not" nearly good enough to handle the high springs rates? If thats what you meant, I disagree. The next step above the d specs is the konis but thats an expensive step and is up there because of the dual dampening ability.

And I wouldn't say the car will "ride shitty', it should perform quite well but it might be a harsher ride - fix that up with a softer tire with a relatively tall sidewall.

i dont know where you see anything about D specs. the car has tokico blues. same with GC coils. it has skunk2 coils. skunk2 rates are 600/400 AFAIK, could be wrong about that though. i know they have realtively high rates though. but with those kinds of rates you really need koni yellows. im running 500/400 rates on illuminas and its pushing it.

Quoted post[/post]]
i dont know where you see anything about D specs. the car has tokico blues. same with GC coils. it has skunk2 coils. skunk2 rates are 600/400 AFAIK, could be wrong about that though. i know they have realtively high rates though. but with those kinds of rates you really need koni yellows. im running 500/400 rates on illuminas and its pushing it.

I stand corrected. I just re-read it, I don't know why I thought it said d specs...I got all excited that someone else had the new tokico struts but apparently not.

In that case, I can see the struts not having the proper dampening if the springs are really high rates.

I always told myself I would never buy a swaped car for 2 reasons.
1. Alot of people do complete hack jobs when swaping
2. If you swap a car, you drive it hard.

I found an exception to my law of swapage but those are 2 things you should watch out for.

I didn't really read your post....but I'd say it's worth $4500...provided there's nothing wrong with the paint and there's no rust.

mid 4's i guess is a good price... its a buyers market for hondas...

i sold my hatch (with a shitty body, dx model) for 4k with the tein ha's, gsr swap, euro cluster, rsr exhaust, wilwood brakes, etc etc...

Back