Good, easy to use plastic dyes?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

xj0hnx

I wanna be sedated
VIP
So I am kicking around the idea of installing an auto-dimming rear view mirror from an Infinity I30 in my EK, but the one I have is beige. Anyone know a particular brand of plastic dye that I could use to make is a dark gray to match my interior?

This. :D

sharpie.jpg

I thought about paint, but I don't want it to chip over time, which I guess if I prepped the surface well wouldn't even really be an issue.

It's a mirror so there should be little chance of it chipping off. I painted my door panels 4 or 5 years ago and it is still in good shape.

definitely dont paint it
get a vinyl dye

i hear good stuff about Dupli-Color and Colorbond

Colorbond has a pretty good color selection and chart

How does the dye work, meaning does the original color have an effect on the final color.

I do this quite often since its in my line of work. I use a product called SEM , that's the name of the manufacture; they have just about any color imaginable it has great bonding capabilities to all vinyls and plastics. this product can be found at your local automotive paint store and they also have a color chart there as well, you can also find it at any upholstery supplier and a small selection at pepboys. I use a white scotch brite pad dampened with denatured alcohol and i lightly scuff what im dyeing and i've never had any peeling problems.

your welcome, oh and E SolSi is right color bond is also a good product as i also use that product, just remember to scuff whatever your going to dye and wipe it with a cleaning solvent or alcohol and you should be good to go.

Back