Good Engine for Turbo?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Circuit

Here's my situation. I have a 94 Integra LS and I want to give the thing some power. So here what it comes down too... I have about 10k to spend on engine, turbo, and everything needed to get the thing running smoothly. What is the best way to go? Ls/Vtec build, 18C1, 18c5? I'm lost and a newb, HELP!

turbo your LS. rebuild and sleeve the bottom end and do a full custom kit w/hondata from http://www.ks-motorsports.com.

I believe you would be incredibly happy with the results. You already have a good motor to boost, so there is no sense wasting almost half your dough just to get a VTEC motor.

you spelled it right, guess they're just switching sames :shrug2: .

and yeah, i'm with liquid, except, i'd get a vtec head. sleeves, rods, pistons, valve train, exhaust, cat, hondata, and if you have enough a full-race turbo kit instead of the maxrev one that ks-motorsports carrys. good luck.

Originally posted by liquid00meth@Oct 7 2003, 10:04 PM
the ks-kits custom kits, not their "bolt on" kits or whatever.

it's still just a maxrev or revhard (whatever they have) kit, where you can pick your turbo or upgrade your DP or sumpin'. it is a good deal, but it's still a log style manifold and not near the quality of a full-race kit.

Originally posted by kylemarhx@Oct 7 2003, 09:50 PM

and yeah, i'm with liquid, except, i'd get a vtec head. sleeves, rods, pistons, valve train, exhaust, cat, hondata, and if you have enough a full-race turbo kit instead of the maxrev one that ks-motorsports carrys. good luck.

Sounds good... I think that's what I'll do. Any suggestions on what vtec head to get? and as for the sleeves, rods, pistons, valve train... if you can suggest some good manufacturers that would be great. I have like 3 grand in the bank already and I wanna start using it, unfortunately I'm new to engine building and have no idea what's good. :(

Unless your really going all out race prep, I dont see the need for you to buy a VTEC head, I think you'll be happy with just a big boost on your B18b if you build it up right. Building a LS/VTEC right isnt cheap. I think I heard of someone spending north of 6000 to get it done so the bottom end had the rev capabilities and other parts for it to work.

Originally posted by Circuit+Oct 7 2003, 10:22 PM-->
Originally posted by kylemarhx@Oct 7 2003, 09:50 PM

Sounds good... I think that's what I'll do. Any suggestions on what vtec head to get? and as for the sleeves, rods, pistons, valve train... if you can suggest some good manufacturers that would be great. I have like 3 grand in the bank already and I wanna start using it, unfortunately I'm new to engine building and have no idea what's good. :(

get whatever head you can get a deal on. the b16 head flows a bit better than the GSR head, but the GSR cams work well with turbo setups if you don't plan on upgrading the cams to a turbo grind. many tuners actually perfer the stock GSR cams for turbo over the aftermarket turbo cams. sleeves: i'd say golden eagle, although some perfer darton sleeves. rods and valvetrain: full-race. pistons: really whatever you perfer: a lot of people around the boards like the endyn roller-wave pistons... JE and SRP are reputable companys as well though. also, gettin' your head PnP'd would also be a good idea.

preluderjs
@Oct 7 2003, 10:51 PM
Unless your really going all out race prep, I dont see the need for you to buy a VTEC head, I think you'll be happy with just a big boost on your B18b if you build it up right. Building a LS/VTEC right isnt cheap. I think I heard of someone spending north of 6000 to get it done so the bottom end had the rev capabilities and other parts for it to work.

6k is rediculous. he already has the block, he is already going to upgrade the internals in both the block and head, only additional cost of going with a vtec will be the price of the vtec head itself, a vtec ecu and the needed oil lines.

Originally posted by Circuit@Oct 7 2003, 10:55 PM
how does the vtec head help anyways?

it flows about a gazillion times better than the LS head. it also gives you a much better powerband by having two cam profiles, one for low/midrange revs, and a high rpm lobe for mass power y0.

i think #1, is to think about downtime.

buy a beater for 500-1000 bucks.

that will let you not have to worry about how long it takes you to get the motor work, swap, etc done. it takes a while.

#2- sleeve the ls bottom end. bensons and rsmachines rock. $1000 + $1500 in parts/pistons/rods/labor

#3 - full race kit. $4000
#4 - hondata, injectors, dyno time, tuner- $1500
#5 - misc shit like 3" exhaust, gauges, fuel pumps, etc... $1000-$2000

owning just about anything that wants a piece, priceless.

THEN, and only then, if you think its not fast enough for you, would I consider doing the ls/vtec conversion.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Oct 8 2003, 12:47 AM
THEN, and only then, if you think its not fast enough for you, would I consider doing the ls/vtec conversion.

bah, but what do you know :p .

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Oct 8 2003, 01:17 AM
i know that 350 whp is stupid fast on the street. and thats EASY to hit with out a vtec head

woah, your sol is gonna be REALLY stupid then.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Oct 8 2003, 12:47 AM
i think #1, is to think about downtime.

buy a beater for 500-1000 bucks.

that will let you not have to worry about how long it takes you to get the motor work, swap, etc done. it takes a while.

#2- sleeve the ls bottom end. bensons and rsmachines rock. $1000 + $1500 in parts/pistons/rods/labor

#3 - full race kit. $4000
#4 - hondata, injectors, dyno time, tuner- $1500
#5 - misc shit like 3" exhaust, gauges, fuel pumps, etc... $1000-$2000

owning just about anything that wants a piece, priceless.

sounds good... I never thought about changing the head after I do the turbo...

is something like taht street legal though? I wanna actually pass inspection :)

well, that depends on where you live....

cali, head swaps are illegal, as are 99% of turbo setups.

where are you from?

Back