Good idea or dumb?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

knuteiriktveiten

ok, go ahead and flame me if you really must but I think this could be an ok idea for race day. Have any of you seen the cars at the track that have a hole where the headlight was and using that for cold air somewhat of a ram-air effect? Well, I have a set of stock headlighs that have chips in the glass. I removed the lens from one of them and cut out all of the obstructions from where the bulb was held and made it smooth. I also have some old itake pipe that I was thinking of routing to the inlet of my turbo. I know ram air probably wouldnt help with a turbo app but the cold air would. Then I was thinking of using something similar to window screen as a filter from large debris. Again, not for daily use, just track day. Do you think it would help or would it be a waste of time?

it would help if piping is smooth flowing a little cold air cant hurt. just do a nice job so people dont laugh at you.

Last edited:
that sounds like a good idea with some revisions. i would make sure the piping are smooth like 97 hatch said and i would make a headlight lens with fine mesh so that no debris can enter the turbo this turbo ram air intake will allow colder and denser air to enter the turbo which should allow more power. :thumbsup::thumbsup: for that one from me

i personally love the i dea and think more people should keep throwing out these crazy ideas, no matter what **s whipes say about it!!!

Honestly, ask yourself this question: What can it hurt? As long as you do a good job and don't make it look like a 5 year old made it in arts&crafts class, go for it, post pics, and let us know how it goes. I don't know how the cold air would effect the turbo but cold air is always better, so I'd assume even with a turbo setup that the cooler air would help. Amen.

you're talking about a .3 hp gain. A proper intercooler usually makes the charge air cooler than ambient.

your both right, but honestly B, what could it hurt? I mean in that case what's the difference between people who have their filters right off their turbo as apposed to people with the charge pipe looped back to the OEM filter position for the filter?

wheather its a .3 gain or 5 gain of horse power its still cold air. let ma ask every body something. in your eingine bay, is the temperature cool, warm or damn near hot? if its warm or damn near hot , all that warm/hot air is geting into your turbo to your intercooler piping and so on. yes with a good inter cooler system by the time it reaches your intake manifold its cooler, but its just like boiling water. if you put cold water in the kettle it will take longer to boil but if your start off with hot water it boils alot faster.

go for it man. would a velocity stack somehow positioned INSIDE the headlight help out even more? then just find good piping with minimum bends and route that to your turbo. sitting still you probably will see that .5 hp but once you're going down the track it might be more like 5-7hp. just make it look clean and post pics! g/l

a lot of drag racing teams put the turbo itself in the front. i think that if you get a good seal and run the pipe as straight as you can get it, youll see more than a .3 hp gain.

a lot of drag racing teams put the turbo itself in the front. i think that if you get a good seal and run the pipe as straight as you can get it, youll see more than a .3 hp gain.

Now that I think about it, I remember seeing a WRX like this, with a top style intercooler still on and the turbo right down in front

Back