Good Luck To All That Are Starting Finals

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

90% on my Cisco CNAP final. Now I gotta study like mad for my CCNA test. Ugh.....

Originally posted by vpSPOONsol+May 1 2003, 08:27 PM-->
are u majoring in mechanical engineering or something like that?
thats my alternate major...first is aerospace engineer
yep

Originally posted by Calesta@May 1 2003, 10:32 PM
SixtySecondAssassin
@May 1 2003, 09:07 PM
you guys would like my machine elements class. we learn about bearings, clutches, brakes, springs etc. its all practical shit.

That degree is fun. Do you have Wood or Ding-a-Ling? Who teaches all the rest of your classes? I'm just curious....

yep wood is teaching it. atleast hes supposed to. one of his grad students really teaches the class. and for the rest:

heat xfer - shi(badass)
prob stat - popova
materials - taleff(i dunno if he was around when you were here. hes an associate prof.)
system dynamics - moon

Originally posted by SixtySecondAssassin@May 2 2003, 10:06 AM
yep wood is teaching it. atleast hes supposed to. one of his grad students really teaches the class. and for the rest:

heat xfer - shi(badass)
prob stat - popova
materials - taleff(i dunno if he was around when you were here. hes an associate prof.)
system dynamics - moon

Never heard of Shi- I had Ball

Popova is good. I guess they don't have Barnes teaching it anymore? Everyone always said "wait for Popova", but I had to take it with Barnes. He's an asshole.

Taleff is only an associate prof? He's one of the best ones in the department! I had 336 with him.

Moon? The big fat bitch who sweats all through her pits and down her shirt? I hate her.

Originally posted by Calesta+May 2 2003, 01:46 PM-->
SixtySecondAssassin
@May 2 2003, 10:06 AM

heat xfer - shi(badass)
prob stat - popova
system dynamics - moon

Never heard of Shi- I had Ball

Popova is good. I guess they don't have Barnes teaching it anymore? Everyone always said "wait for Popova", but I had to take it with Barnes. He's an asshole.

Taleff is only an associate prof? He's one of the best ones in the department! I had 336 with him.

Moon? The big fat bitch who sweats all through her pits and down her shirt? I hate her.

dude, you totally called it on Moon. i wish i was a girl so i could beat her ass.

my finals start soon too, then ill be outta High School thank god...

im taking:

IB Biology
IB Chemistry
AP Calculus 3
Honors English
Band (haha)
Photography I (haha)

and for those of you who dont know what IB is, it stands for International Baccalureate (sp?) and is one of the most rigorous and challengine programs to get into in the whole wolrd. this program is located in many schools all over the US and the world. for example, my test scores will be sent to 5 different countries to determine if the grader was too hard or easy, ect. and then you get your final grade from that. the amount of work is insane, but it definitely will help with college. ill be used to all the work :p . and if anyone has taken calc 3, holy shit that stuffs confusing sometimes!

Originally posted by SixtySecondAssassin@May 2 2003, 03:18 PM
dude, you totally called it on Moon. i wish i was a girl so i could beat her ass.

I took this picture on 4/21/2001:

s3eb2f5e81fbdd.jpg

I assume it's still accurate, 2 years later. I took a discussion course with her and Traver, and Traver used to rip on her during class. It was great- we all considered it just payback. He would just cut her off, not let her speak, and contradict her all the time. Wonderful.

:lol:

GSR- IB is useless in the United States, trust me. I was in it... it doesn't matter once you exit high school. Sure, some of the higher end schools accept IB tests for credit, but you can usually get the exact same credits with easier AP tests. My experience was that you had to score higher on an IB than you did on an AP (relatively, IB =7 scale, AP = 5 scale) to get the same credit for a college course... getting credit with the AP was just easier. Once I figured out that I was really only doing IB as an ego thing and to live up to what my brother did, I got out of it. Senioritis was really bad. I applaud your efforts though! Graduating from high school with an IB Diploma is NOT an easy thing to do.

By Cal 3, do you mean IB BC Cal? That class wasn't so bad. :lol:

Originally posted by lsvtec@May 1 2003, 07:56 PM
Yup CS.

Assembly sucks because once you have it in ROM, there is really no way to debug it. It made me think C was a great language. I missed gdb anyway.

:werd: on the Discrete Math. That class was lame. To make matters worse my Prof did his doctorate on Turing, so that is what the class centered on. :sleep: Next semester is Vector Analysis and Linear Algebra, Software Development, Compilers & Automata, Spanish 211, and Music 101 (Last of the general ed classes). Weeee.

OO Graphics huh? In what language?

OO Graphics in Java.. the whole department seems to be teaching in java now, which is cool, all i do is code in java at work... makes it easier. as far as compilers go we did lexical analyzers and defining grammars. we did automata in my computing theory class, pretty easy stuff actually. they dropped linear algebra from our catalog, so i dont have to take that.. infact, i'm done with all my math, :woo:

man i have my first final on Moday for my web programing class.
graphic design the following moday
Spanish 102 on Thursaday
and film comentary on Friday...

Oh and some time before the semester ends i have to write a paper for my indepent study class: Athletics...
I am not too worried this time around, i have plenty of time. (famous last words)

Originally posted by B16@May 2 2003, 04:34 PM
OO Graphics in Java.. the whole department seems to be teaching in java now, which is cool, all i do is code in java at work... makes it easier. as far as compilers go we did lexical analyzers and defining grammars. we did automata in my computing theory class, pretty easy stuff actually. they dropped linear algebra from our catalog, so i dont have to take that.. infact, i'm done with all my math, :woo:

Here they mostly teach C, but they are moving towards Java and C++. Linear Algebra would be my last math class, but I am thinking about adding a Math minor. The CS requirements practically hand one to me. Most of my "real" world experience is in Java, it is probably my favorite language. Where are you currently working?

no cal, im not doin diploma, i suck at history and english, i was gailing those courses so i dropped em and started taking all the math and science couses. and i know IB is shit, i was kinda forced into it, but i can handle the math classes. i got a 6 on my Math Studies Exam. and i think ill do good on the bio and chem courses too. but no i wasnt talking about IB BC calc. thats not offered at my school, im taking AP BC calc. its ok, but can be confusing sometimes. but yea i dropped the diploma thing and went certificate. i know diploma is mad work and i cant handle all that shit. glad to know someone else can relate though, most of the people at my school dont even know what IB is. :lol:

Originally posted by Calesta@May 2 2003, 05:58 PM
GSR- IB is useless in the United States, trust me. I was in it... it doesn't matter once you exit high school. Sure, some of the higher end schools accept IB tests for credit, but you can usually get the exact same credits with easier AP tests. My experience was that you had to score higher on an IB than you did on an AP (relatively, IB =7 scale, AP = 5 scale) to get the same credit for a college course... getting credit with the AP was just easier. Once I figured out that I was really only doing IB as an ego thing and to live up to what my brother did, I got out of it. Senioritis was really bad. I applaud your efforts though! Graduating from high school with an IB Diploma is NOT an easy thing to do.

By Cal 3, do you mean IB BC Cal? That class wasn't so bad. :lol:

yes ib is useless unless your on the east coast, if your on the west coast its point less, and a waste of time. and if you are in ib, you shouldnt stay in it unless your pulling a 4.3+gpa, because if its just a 4.0 your like how many other people in the US. and i dont think u can take cal 3 in high school.

thats just what i think, and what i hear about ib.

its basically a waste of time and money. unless your like crazy smart and pulling a 4.3+ accumalative gpa.

lates

GSR- We had Cal AB, AP Cal BC, and IB AP Cal BC. Now there's also IB Cal 2 (differential equations and vector cal) offered at my old high school, so they're getting up there in Calculus classes. I took the IB AP BC course, which was the highest level available at the time. What a pain... I should have dropped to a slower level Calculus when I dropped the Diploma, but I didn't. Oh well. More Cal for me.

:blink:

Crazy- I was at the bottom of the top 10% in my high school, but I was still running a 4.4/5.0 GPA. The maximum possible GPA with all the honors courses factored in was something like a 4.785, and that was only available to you if you were zoned to the school. Outside transfers were required to take one course that was a hit to your GPA, because it wasn't available with the honors bonus credit. It's a tough school- you can't even get in the top quarter these days unless you're running above a 4.1 (I think, I know it's above 4.0) which means that even if you get all As in every single one of your classes, but you never took an honors or AP course, you had NO chance of being in the top quarter. Crazy, huh? It was all us weirdos in the top 10% that just HAD to take on the IB Diploma, and quite a few of us realized how futile it was before we graduated and quit.

:lol:

Originally posted by lsvtec+May 2 2003, 09:24 PM-->
@May 2 2003, 04:34 PM

Here they mostly teach C, but they are moving towards Java and C++. Linear Algebra would be my last math class, but I am thinking about adding a Math minor. The CS requirements practically hand one to me. Most of my "real" world experience is in Java, it is probably my favorite language. Where are you currently working?

ya, we started in C++ only "C" i've done is in unix systems programming (i hate making make files :( ) true about all the math we have to take, i dont want any more though, i'm in a hurry to graduate, been in school too damn long. i work for a company called west coast beauty supply, yes i know, haha... we sell shampoo to salons (dont ask how i got involved, long story) but i do the ecommerce web sites for them, we have 6 all together, and it was me and one other person (she does the graphics) that put all these together. you need log ons for most all of them so they aren't very interesting without them, but here they are.
http://www.westcoastbeauty.com/
http://www.westcoastbeauty.net/
http://www.penneyconnection.com/
http://www.shopsupercenter.com/
http://www.shopdbe.com/
http://www.cricketco.com/
they're a good company, paying for my school and such, and i'm getting a ton of experience while working there and going to school.

I would be willing to bet that I am the only Music Major on the site. Anyway, my jury is tomorrow, and I intend on getting really drunk afterwards, either in celebration or consolation.

lsvtec- are you going to stay down in Cruces for the whole summer?

I am coming up for the Hill Climb. Other than that I am taking classes all summer. Besides you still need to come here.

:woo:

Just make sure that, at any given point between spring and summer semester, you have some sort of alcoholic beverage in your hand and/or in your system. :D

Back