Good Luck with this 1 Pentagon

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

You become US government property when you sign up. They can tell you to do whatever the hell they want to. If they don't want you damaging their property, all they have to do is say so.

that will kill recruiters, they will never make quota.

I think that the statement that it impairs military readiness is bs. Especially if they are talking about like physical fitness. There are a bunch of us that work together and we all smoke, we do our phisical test twice a year and all of us run 1 1/2 miles in less than 12 mins (13 1/2 being the minimum) one of us runs it in 9 something. We all do well over the minimum push-ups and sit-ups. It has nothing to do with smoking or not it's your desire to be fit. I will say that we might have to work a little harder at it but it doesn't like kill us to be able to do that. And +1 on the stress reliever.

Even if they ban smoking, its enforcement will be nearly impossible. Soldiers in foreign countries will still smoke. Soldiers on the field will still smoke. All this will do is lower morale.

And reduce the chances of lung cancer and many other diseases, as well as boost the stamina and recovery time of everyone.. You know, minor stuff.

It will work, just not without significant changes to the structure of the military. Maybe not tell people they can't smoke, just make it almost impossible to do so.

A lot of people said that it wouldn't work to stop smoking across most of mainland Europe, but it did.

They should probably ban drinking too then. Or gee I don't know enforce the physical standards they have already. And I really look forward to them baning tobaco products for the rest of us as well. You know for the common good and all that.

Sorry, I think its ultimately stupid. Yes you sign up and you're government property for however many years. But, if it were me, in Afghani or Iraq right now and an IED nearly blew up my humvee, or an rpg flew past me and hit the mountain.... I don't give a fuck what the law says, I'm going to be needing a cig after that shit.

And reduce the chances of lung cancer and many other diseases, as well as boost the stamina and recovery time of everyone.. You know, minor stuff.

Isn't inhaling smoke from the firearms just as bad?

I can understand giving troops the options through classes, patches, gum, counseling and things like that. But there are much bigger issues the pentagon could be addressing. Like maybe alcohol abuse and PTSD. But I guess those do not fit into Obama's magical health-care initiative does it? I know that Gates is having the White House hang over his head the fact they 'let' him keep his post.

This is just a flat out waste of time, energy and resources. We have troops using essentially the same weapons system as those in Vietnam, a utility vehicle that is starting to show its age and in some cases no body armor. And we are worried about smoking at this point in time? We still have rampant waste and mismanagement of every Pentagon project on the books. How the hell are we going to pay for this? Because we all know that a trillion dollars are going to have to be spent on addressing this issue. We cant just hand down a ruling that absolutely no one will be allowed to smoke. That makes wayyyy to much sense.

this is laughable, the military concerned about the health of its soliders. Anthrax vaccine anyone, how bout some agent orange. those are the first things that come to mind.

It's going to take 5-10 years to do so.

At that, physical tests? You have got to be kidding me. The numbers you put up are fucking slow and lame. I know fat ass 9th graders who have tougher physical tests in GYM class then the services. You get an F in gym if you don't pass. In the service they just push you through and that's all to it. No drill instructor will ever want to see your ass again so they get you through it even if you suck donkey balls and weigh 300 lbs.

A new study shows that the facts we've known for 20 years are still there.

OMFG!!!
032%20OMFG.jpg

It's going to take 5-10 years to do so.

At that, physical tests? You have got to be kidding me. The numbers you put up are fucking slow and lame. I know fat ass 9th graders who have tougher physical tests in GYM class then the services. You get an F in gym if you don't pass. In the service they just push you through and that's all to it. No drill instructor will ever want to see your ass again so they get you through it even if you suck donkey balls and weigh 300 lbs.
incorrect a family friend was just given the option to retire or be kicked out because he couldnt make PT...he was at the retirement point but wanted to get a couple more years in and rank up..well he couldnt rank up due to not being able to pass PT..so they said your either kicked or you can retire

Back