1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good or bad

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by Hatchbacks Anonymous, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Hatchbacks Anonymous

Hatchbacks Anonymous Senior Member

Topic might be in wrong spot but, I just got my swap (DOHC VTEC) for my 96 HB. I have never had any kind of aftermarket clutch until now. The guy talked me into buying a clutchmasters 6 puck and also a JUN flywheel w/ toda timing belt. The clutch grabs right at the top. I was doing some research about clutches and flywheels and they were talking about how they wear out so I got concerned. I wanted to know if their are any signs I could look for if my clutch starts to go out or if my flywheel is bad or going bad or anything bad to look for. Also, is the clutch supposed to grab right at the top of the lift? Any help is cool. Thanks in advance.

-J to the P

2. cointelpro

cointelpro Senior Member

if your clutch is going out you will know. iyoull grind when you shouldnt and it will be hard to shift. its not fun.

i dont wanna thread jack but do you know whats the diff between 4 puck and 6 puck clutches?

3. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

pucked clutches are not a great choice for daily driving ... they have a very harsh engagement and they also cause added stress on the tranny

4. Hatchbacks Anonymous

4 and 6 puck

Look at that link and there will be 6 picutres. The clutches shown there are the 6 and 4 puck clutches.

I have some buddies that had 6 puck clutches in their EX's and they tore up the tranny.

I dont want my tranny tore up so what could somebody recommend instead of my 6 puck clutch?

5. Sirhc2013

Sirhc2013 Member

Stay with a satge 3 or below for a car you want to daily drive without eating up your tranny

6. jiahanhao

jiahanhao Senior Member

:werd:

even a stage 1 still chatters when you come off it...

race clutches are way too much unless your putting down serious serious horsepower (and don't drive the car much)

7. JDMilan

JDMilan Senior Member

the JUN flywheel is great, the toda timing belt really isn't needed cause the factory unit is fine adn should be replaced when the head is taken off, as far as teh clutch it depends on power and if the car is daily or not.

8. Hatchbacks Anonymous

<---------daily driver w/ headers and intake (gsr motor)

9. ryanwolfe911

ryanwolfe911 Senior Member

:concur: I had an ACT 4 puck in my EG, and it destoyed 2 tranny's. I switched to an organic street disc and have not had a problem since.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted