google chromecast...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

chadcharb

VIP
So I picked up chromecast the other day so we could watch Netflix and other things in our lunch room at work, but there's a problem. It requires you to connect to the device through wifi but when i turn on my wifi it turns of my 3g connection and there's no wifi days connection at our shop so essentially i can't use it...is there a way i can get my wifi and 3g to run at the same time? Why didn't google run this on bluetooth instead?

I'm using a Samsung galaxy s2

You're using the internet connection from your phone as a hotspot for the chromecast?

And chromecast requires wifi on your device to work? As its essentially stored and operated solely on the device.

Sounds like you'll need a second device or a different unit to stream on.

You need a wifi hotspot app to use your phone's 3g connection and then broadcast a new wifi... which means you need to be rooted or pay the carrier to unlock that feature on your phone.

Maybe a coworker already pays for the hotspot feature on their phone? Mine is included in my data plan. 5gb + hotspot for 15 bucks.

I wonder if 3g is even fast enough without it buffering/lagging constantly.

Back