Google Project Fi

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

This thread makes me glad I'm grandfathered into an ATT Unlimited plan. Plans these days are such a ripoff if you use >2GB data and want a good phone.

I'm an iPhone user and it would take a massive failure on Apple's part and/or a massive leap in compatibility on Google's part to get me to switch. Currently I just re-up my contract every 2 years, keep unlimited, trade in my old phone (~$200-220), and pay the upgrade fee for the new phone ($200). Bam. New iPhone for free. Right before trade-in, I make a image backup to the cloud, and upon recieving the new phone I write the image to it, keeping all of my data and apps in place and really just changing the hardware.

Bill stays the same, ~$83/mo with my work discount.

:withstupid:
grandfathered in on a Verizon unlimited plan that i pay $78 a month for (with work discount)
generally use about 8-10GB per month
that will likely jump by a large amount when i upgrade my phone soon (will gladly buy the phone outright, there is no fucking way im giving up my unlimited plan)

don't the phone companies force you to pick a new plan if you upgrade your phone? for some reason I thought that Verizon wasn't letting people keep their old plans if they got a new iphone.

just have to buy the phone outright
dont change anything with your contract or sign a new one and you keep the contract you are on
when you get a phone at the discounted contract price then you need to sign a new contract and you are boned out of the unlimited plan

don't the phone companies force you to pick a new plan if you upgrade your phone? for some reason I thought that Verizon wasn't letting people keep their old plans if they got a new iphone.

yes this is true, if you use your phone upgrade you have to choose a new plan...you have to buy a phone second hand in order to keep your unlimited plan with VZW

Buying a brand new phone outright every two years is nuts just to keep the unlimited plan. The Icrapphone 6+ 64GB is $850 from Apple...Even my Nexus 6 64GB at $550 from directly from Google, though $300 less than the Icrapphone, is a lot to pay every two years. That's like adding $71 a month to your phone bill on top of your already ridiculous high plan price.

Also, don't they slow you down after 5GB to 3g speeds on the unlimited plans?

i dont buy a new phone every 2 years... i keep my phone until it needs to be replaced
my current phone is over 4 years old and starting to have some glitches
it will be replaced sometime this year as there are finally a few phones with good sound and battery life available

i dont give a shit about having the new hotness at all times
if the phone works im cool with it
i dont buy technology as fashion

and fuck an iPhone

Only Verizon does that. ATT lets you upgrade on a new 2yr contract and keep unlimited.

With the trade in, I haven't paid out of pocket for a phone since 2010 when I first paid the $200 on an iPhone 3GS.

The only caveat with ATT vs Verizon. ATT allows the upgrades, but will throttle your speeds after 5GB. Verizon doesn't allow upgrades, but also doesn't throttle their unlimited users at all.

the contract is for the DEVICE, not the service.

i dont buy a new phone every 2 years... i keep my phone until it needs to be replaced
my current phone is over 4 years old and starting to have some glitches
it will be replaced sometime this year as there are finally a few phones with good sound and battery life available

i dont give a shit about having the new hotness at all times
if the phone works im cool with it
i dont buy technology as fashion

and fuck an iPhone

yeah ...i actually usually buy phones when they are already past their prime and are on sale for less then $100 like i did with my last 3 phones. Like i waited 1.5 years to get a GS4, before that I got my HTC Rezound for 1 cent. and I always sell my old phones on CL for $100+

Last edited:
the contract is for the DEVICE, not the service.
Not sure what your point is. The contract is for both. I get service with my contract, not just the device. I'm not paying extra for the service on top of the device or anything.

To compare, T-Mobile's unlimited plan is $80/mo PLUS the cost of the phone. And they throttle you after 1GB.

while i am not familiar with any other cell phone systems, i am inclined to agree... this shit is all manors of 'tarded

while i am not familiar with any other cell phone systems, i am inclined to agree... this shit is all manors of 'tarded

while i don't intimately know ALL of them, basically you just go to "joe's cellphone shack" and buy a phone and toss in your sim card. The U.S. has this sim vs. gsm bullshit.

Not sure what your point is. The contract is for both. I get service with my contract, not just the device. I'm not paying extra for the service on top of the device or anything.

To compare, T-Mobile's unlimited plan is $80/mo PLUS the cost of the phone. And they throttle you after 1GB.
The contract lock for 2 years/etc is to ensure that you pay the prorated across 24 months price of the phone back. If you get a plan with out devices/upgrades, there is no contract. If you bring your own device, and go on a plan that has no device upgrades padded on to it, there's no contract.

true, once my contract is up, i just pay month to month.

BUT, if i'm no longer paying for a device, it makes no sense not to upgrade for free. the cost stays the same, the cost doesnt go down after the contract ends (which could signify "paying off" the device).

simply put, ANY other plan would cost me MORE money to do the same thing that I'm doing now.

I still have my unlimited verizon plan from Dec 2009. Runs me $80 bucks a month with a work discount. (its really a waste since I use a whopping 0.25-0.30 GB per month, but I'm not giving it up in case things change.)
I ran the original moto droid from Dec 2009 until Dec 2014, then upp'ed my game to the Droid 4 (released in 2012) purchased used off amazon for $50 bucks.
If they come out with a new phone with a slide out keyboard I will buy it. The only reason I upgraded my phone was because my battery would shit out after 2 hours of runkeeper.

I did the dumbest thing when I got my GS4 and that was give up my unlimited data. Freaking sucked.

Once google comes out with better phone selection I'm going to try FI. I found out my buddy has it that works at google and loves the plan but hates the big nexus. Hoping they have more than one option when the next round of phones roll out.

Back