Google unveils satellite map feature

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

terraserver had the hotness for sat images

google is alright, but a lot of areas aren't close up views...

some are, and you can see every house, but the rest say we don't have a zoomed in view or this area or some shit...

It doesn't work yet, I tried with both my home address and dorm address (in 2 different states) and neither could retreive the pics :( Oh well, I bet it'll be up soon :)

try zooming out more, it should have them, just not very detailed

Well, now its working. I must have been temporarily down. but DAMN is that sweet. I can pinpoint my dormroom and my house from outerspace :D

i could get real close but it wasnt real pictures, just a map. still cool for finding where stuff is.

look up in the top right corner and click o the "satellite" link. i had the same problem at frist, but found that

Originally posted by reckedracing@Apr 6 2005, 02:33 PM
^^ you speedy bastard

top right hand side of the page it says map or satelite
[post=483739]Quoted post[/post]​

:p I knew someone else was gonna post that at the same time as me

Do a search for washington DC and look at the white house hahaha. Somthing on the roof they dont want people to see? Good times.

its blacked out for "security" reasons...

you can't see what sort of weapons/posts/personal they have on the roof...

you ever go to the white house?
next time you do put something metal in your pocket and walk thru the metal detector...

i will tell you this much... SECRET SERVICE IS NO JOKE... trust me...

It's not meant to replace Terraserver or anything, it's a great mapping function. Use Google maps to get driving directions and then click satellite... It overlays your route right onto the real roads. I've only used it a few times and already it's improved my ability to navigate in an area I wasn't familiar with. I'd absolutely love that feature in a navigation system... overlay the same photos and update it in real-time.

navigation systems have this stuff too? or no?

never used nav systems so i have no idea

i like the click and drag shite on google maps...

i didnt see anything blacked out on the whitehouse. just red gravel or whatever it is they have on the roof

Originally posted by senate_9427@Apr 6 2005, 08:20 PM
WTF is the white house address? 1600 something street, i cant remember
[post=483916]Quoted post[/post]​

1600 Pennsylvania Ave, its the sample image thats posted in the article from the link.

Also, there's not just red gravel on the White House roof, if you actually go to the White House in person you'll see that there's secret service men patrolling back and forth on the roof and laying at gun torrets, there's also snipers that patrol on the roof as well.

it's pretty cool, but i remember when terraserver first came out and i could zoom to where my house was like almost an eighth of the screen, and for FREE too!

Back