Got a great deal on my new mac

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

adnoh

So,

I'll be making the conversion. From a Pentium IV, 2.5GHz to a Mac G5 Dual 1.8GHz with 2 GB of RAM.
I got it on ebay.....made a deal with the guy for local pickup and cash, as long as he cancelled the auction right away....worked like a charm. Picked her up for $2600cdn. The guy was totally cool and threw in some extras.

What do you think?

E-Bay Auction

wow, holy fuck is that a good deal. Comes with office, illustrator, and other goodies too :) Nice find :thumbsup:

..now you just need a 30" Apple Cinema Display :ph34r:

Originally posted by ktanaka@Apr 11 2005, 06:50 PM

[post=485845]Quoted post[/post]​

Heh......I wish man...there's another $2600! I'm picking up dual 17" Sony LCD's instead....less money that way, and plenty of desktop space. Plus, I can get the Sony's for $300cdn each.

Originally posted by ktanaka@Apr 11 2005, 03:50 PM
wow, holy fuck is that a good deal. Comes with office, illustrator, and other goodies too :) Nice find :thumbsup:

And the NVidia 6800 Utra DDL Video Card to run the 30 inch. :ph34r:

Sweet score my pops has the Dual 1.8GHz and I have the Dual 2.0GHz. They are awesome machines, and run circles around my AMD Athlon 64. Then again so does my old G4 Dual 500Mhz. Sweet deal! Go to you local apple deal and order a bluetooth card, for it, it should be about $125, and then it is a fairly basic install. Then go out and get some Lifetime (Brand) memory, it is the only stuff out there other than crucial that is garunteed to work in a mac. If you are going to run Final Cut or any of the Apple Pro applications get another GB or two of ram, it is well worth it.
Welcome to the darkside and get ready to love computing.

Originally posted by MaaseyRacer+Apr 11 2005, 08:14 PM-->
@Apr 11 2005, 03:50 PM

And the NVidia 6800 Utra DDL Video Card to run the 30 inch. :ph34r:

Sweet score my pops has the Dual 1.8GHz and I have the Dual 2.0GHz. They are awesome machines, and run circles around my AMD Athlon 64. Then again so does my old G4 Dual 500Mhz. Sweet deal! Go to you local apple deal and order a bluetooth card, for it, it should be about $125, and then it is a fairly basic install. Then go out and get some Lifetime (Brand) memory, it is the only stuff out there other than crucial that is garunteed to work in a mac. If you are going to run Final Cut or any of the Apple Pro applications get another GB or two of ram, it is well worth it.
Welcome to the darkside and get ready to love computing.
[post=485872]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanks for the info dude. This machine will be primarily used in my recording studio, so another GB or two on top of the 2GB I already have, is on the way. I'm totally stoked to use it (pick it up Thursday). The last Mac I had was a B+W G3 350MHz running OS9 and I loved it...just got really slow. Have you had any problems/concerns with your G5 since you got it?

Originally posted by MaaseyRacer@Apr 11 2005, 09:14 PM
Go to you local apple deal and order a bluetooth card, for it, it should be about $125, and then it is a fairly basic install.
[post=485872]Quoted post[/post]​

you mean,

Go to you local apple deal and order a bluetooth card, for it, it should be about $125, and then it is a fairly easy to get hacked now?

lol, doesn't bluetooth have some kinda of security system? Like requiring a certain hardware address or password to connect?

Originally posted by ktanaka@Apr 12 2005, 01:52 PM
lol, doesn't bluetooth have some kinda of security system? Like requiring a certain hardware address or password to connect?
[post=486238]Quoted post[/post]​

Hehehehehehehe... Nope.

hmmm.....I should look into this...

I could do fun shit with my friend's computers :ph34r:

Are you fucking kidding me? Bluetooth has a range of 33 feet. On top of that you do not make your bluetooth availible, and give your machine a password. It is so easy, and OS X is one of the more secure commercial OSs on the market. Fucking BSD is TITS!!!!!

Back