Got a laptop Question.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dustin_m

There is a guy at my wolrk that has a Dell laptop that he has had for a couple years and hasn't really used. his parents bought it for him and now he is looking to gett rid of it. He said at the most he would want $500, probably less. Is this worth it and if it is, what should i be looking for in this computer as far as memory and stuff. I know his roommate just put XP on it and deleted all the junk off the drive so he said its like new. BTW I just want to get this so i have something i can take with me to school and work on, its not going to be my main computer, and i dont expect it to be ttop of the line right now. I plan on buying a badass notebook in a year or so anyway

To be realistically (sp?) useful I would say :
600mhz or higher processor
256-512mb of ram
10+gig hard drive
network card if you deal with cable or dsl
modem if not
deleting stuff dosent clean a hard drive, make sure you download all the necessary drivers from dell (onto a disk or other comp) and format the hard drive.
Then reinstall an OS

what are the specs on it. 500 for a 3 year old anything computerwise is kinda expensive. There are cheap laptops for around 700ish, and if you look for sales, then you can find them for even less.

Here is a cheap one at walmart for 550ish.

Wally world computer

here is a really nice Toshiba for 600ish after mail in rebateshere

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

do not, under any circumstance, buy a celeron chip machine.

it's like walking to work instead of driving.

alright i actually am on the laptop now. The guy let me borrow it to check it out. Its got a 10 gig drive. now in XP where can i look at all the sytem info? Oh and yes its a celeron chip. from other people i talked to they said offer him like a hundred of do for it. also i think the HD is gonna go soon cause it makes noise and he had it totally full of shit. Oh yeah its a Gateway, which i hate. So yeah how do i see all the specs?

I wouldnt do it you can find newer laptops for around the same price with better specs. I picked up a dell inspirion 1100 with dvd+rw, 80gig hd and 512 ram, 2.8 celeron for $600. wish it had a Centrino chip, but works for all my needs

don;t do it it just picked up a erocom 2100 p2 400 256 mb and a 50gb drive for 25$ the guy broke the power conector If you hold it just riht it will power up so right now i am in the middle of puting a new conector on it and im set

Back