Got a lude yesterday. H22 swap doesnt want to start when its cold??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

calm down its not my thread. Im here trying to help him too.. I just stated I like msd cause he said he was going to put one on.. You got a kick azz job and im sure your good at what you do.. so lets help the OP figure this out...

Reread my post. I've been trying to help him out since I first posted in this thread. If he doesn't want to take my advice that's his problem - but the problem he's asking about is a VERY common problem, with a VERY simple solution. Not my fault if he doesn't want to do a VERY simple test (checking fuel pressure present at the fuel rail upon first attempt at cold startup) in order to verify a HIGHLY LIKELY cause of his problem.

My bad I thought you was stating that towards me.. But what you say does make sense but its one that has me stumped... please inform on what it is..

Like I said...

Hard start upon sitting for a while and/or hard cold start is a common problem with MANY different manufacturers...guess what the problem usually is? It's the fuel system, and those vehicles do EXACTLY what you're describing. What happens is the fuel system doesn't retain pressure and loses prime, and the fuel that's in the fuel lines drains back down into the fuel tank. When you come out to start the car once it's been sitting, the fuel system has to re-prime itsself - which is hard when it's cold, and especially hard with a weak fuel pump. The reason it will run once you've been cranking on it a while is because with the key on and the engine cranking, the fuel pump is running, and building pressure back up in the fuel lines. I'll bet if you drive the car down the road, shut off the engine, wait a few minutes, and try to start it again it'll crank right up - but if you wait more than an hour or so it'll be hard to start again. Am I right? This happens because in that period of time, the system doesn't have enough time to bleed itsself back down and lose pressure, and you've still got fuel pressure retained in the lines.

ahh my bad my eyes are real blurry right now been up since 9 am yesterday. I skipped over that paragraph. I agree 100% on what you said makes total sense...

I am offering insight into the problem for which this thread was originally created - your car is hard to start when it's cold. If you don't want to take the advice of someone who does this for a living, don't. But don't cop an attitude - especially when you came onto this forum asking for help and/or advice with your problem.

I appreciate you offering your insight, and I apologize if I misconstrued your meaning. It seemed to me like you were telling me to not use the msd, and I believe in "to each his own". I was only trying to defend myself on what I believe to be something that if not beneficial, then at least wont hurt my car, and might even help some of my problem. I have run into a lot of people on different forums who "bash" on me because of the way I choose to build my car, and I am probably quick to get defensive because of it. Again, Im sorry.

Like I asked earlier, what's your fuel pressure upon cold start, and what is it once it's warmed up?

What do I do to check my fuel pressure?

I feel all mixed up when it comes to whats going on with your car

What happened with the FITV stuff?

How is your car's running temperament changed since the VTEC ECU was put in??

Do you know if the original ECU (when you bought it) was chipped?

What about the CEL bulb/wiring? Need to take the cluster out unless you can see from under the dash.

I replaced the fitv and it acts exactly the same. I had 2 extras on manifolds I got with the car, and they make no difference.

I didnt put the vtec ecu yet. I tried it, but the car ran extremely poorly with it in. After doing research, I believe its because the injectors that are in the car are h23 injectors which put out 240cc of fuel, and the p13 is calling for 345cc, which is the stock h22 injector size. To solve this, I ordered a set of OEM h22 injectors. When they get here, I will install them and try out the p13 again.

A mechanic I was talking to told me this might be where my problem lies also. The motor is built to run on 345cc injectors, and when its cold out it needs those injectors to be wide open to supply the fuel for the car to start properly. He told me to get some injectors that were made for the motor, and put the correct ECU in it, and that extra fuel being put into the motor at a cold start would be all it needs to start properly. I dont know much about this, but it seems to make sense the way he explained it to me...so I will find out when they get here if this fixes my problem.

I dont know for sure if the ecu is chipped, but I highly doubt it. I dont think the guy who owned it before me would spend the money to have that done. He seemed to like to do everything the cheap and round-a-bout way. But like I said...I am not certain about this.

I have not yet replaced the bulb for the check engine light. I ordered a gauge cluster on ebay, and received it this week. I was going to replace the bulb when I put the new cluster in, but the cluster I got is damaged and ugly, and I dont want it in my car...so I opened a case (since there was no mention of the damage in the posting) and am going to ship the cluster back for a refund of my money. Now that this has happened though, I am going to replace the bulb tomorrow without the cluster. I am just going to do a EL cluster conversion in it instead. I found a full conversion with a harness and dimmer switch and all for $150, so I think I am going to pick that up.

.. so lets help the OP figure this out...

Whats an OP? And why am I one?

Whats up guys new to all of this but i got a f20b real cheap threw it in my ek and am now having problems with gettimg fire from the dizzy. Since alot of yall a H serise guys can anybody shoot me some advice

Well....his first post

nOOb....what can you do :shrug2:

I hope your mechanic is right about the injectors but I am not so sure.

How is the fuel ran off the fuel filter to injectors? Stock? Can you verify?

I can't remember but I think you said there's a fuel pressure regulator?

Im just letting you all know that I got everything fixed. I read my check engine light, and I was throwing code 6 (temp sensor) and 15 (ignition output low). I bought a new ECT sensor, installed it, and cleared my codes, and it cleared the code 15 but I still had the code 6. I left it alone for the night, and the next day I got my injectors in the mail. I installed them right away and put the p13 in it. It started up better, but I still had code 6, and it was throwing code 22 in addition (vtec oil pressure sensor). I did some more probing of the harness trying to figure out where everything was running to, and found the plug going to the vtec oil pressure sensor was not the right wiring for it. I got a wild hair and tried plugging in that plug into the ECT sensor, and it cleared my code 6! W00T!!! But...I still had code 22. I probed some more wires, and saw the blue wire was in the correct spot on the ecu side of the harness, but went to a dead end. I ran a wire from the dead end to the vtec oil pressure sensor and completely got rid of my codes!! WOOHOO!!!! NO MORE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT!! It starts up and runs excellent every time now!

I am still running on a p14 though. When I put the p13 in, it would idle good, but as soon as I touch the gas it starts backfiring like the timing is way off. As soon as it gets up towards 3k rpms and above, it revs and sounds great...but the low end is completely dead. I dont know whats going on now. I dont have any more check engine light, so I cant turn to that to tell me whats wrong. I thought that maybe my new injectors were not actually out of an h22, but an h23 and the guy mis-posted them. I sent him an e-mail and asked him about it, and he is positive they were removed from an h22a1. He pulled them out of the motor himself he said.

The only other thing I can think of is that this computer is busted. It runs great with the p14 with no hesitation what-so-ever, but stutters on the low end with the p13. It did this same thing with either set of injectors, so im pretty sure it has to be something else. Any suggestions?

Back