Got a new car.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

cycloneb18c3

Well, I decided Id devote my integra to a project car, and put it on the back burner for the summer, since it doesnt have AC and it still needs a lot of work to get running right.

I went out and bought an 06 Subaru WRX. Its the TR model which doesnt come with all of the great stuff the normal WRX comes with, becuase its "tuner ready" hence the TR. It pretty much comes with bottom line stuff that typical tuners would replace. The engine and everything power train wise is all the same as a normal WRX. It has like a normal CD player(insted of the double din, 6 disc changer-which i didnt like anyways) the mirrors are black, insted of painted to match the car, because I guess subaru thinks most tuners change the mirrors) Its all simple stuff like that.

The 06's come with the 2.5L motor, first time for the normal WRX to come with that engine. It used to be just in the STi's.
Im already starting to look at upgrades for it. I bought a perrin drop in filter for it--the stock subaru intake is good up to like 350hp supposly, and changing it out to a aftermarket will cause problems, and it will run rich, according to most subaru forums. So Im looking at getting a turbo back exhaust for it, or the cobb accessport for it.
Im not sure on what exhaust I like, theres so many, but I like the APS 3.5 inch race exhaust. Its inspected till 2010 so Im not worried about emissions. The Cobb Accessport is a programmer, which plugs into the OBD-2 Diagnostic port. It runs like 645+sh, but its supposly well worth it. I was reading that average gain of just a turbo back and the accessport yeilds 60-65hp. Not too shabby. So Ill be set for a while with 300hp and AWD, with just a few mods.

Any suggestions or anything feel free to leave them, im still in the "planning" of what i want to do, and put on it "stage" :bow:

wow man...sounds great!...thats gonna be a lot of fun for sure...youll have to keep us updated on it

I have an AccessPort for my WRX.

I wouldn't say its the best, but its up there and has decent OTS (off the shelf) maps. A protune really helps though.

Cobb is great engine management for daily driving since they have a very reliable tune and its not as aggressive as utec, ecutek, or vishnu. The AccessPORT also allows you to flash to different maps almost instantly and you don't have to send your ECU anywhere and have the car down to get the ECU flashed.

Just be careful that you don't make that tranny go pop. Some guy on NASIOC.com was bitching that his '06 TR that was a Cobb Stage 2 (tbe - turboback exhaust, uppipe, AccessPort) had its tranny go. Its supposedly stronger than the WRX trannys of the past, but not as strong as the RA gears or USDM STi 6speed.

The new WRX is awesome and if I were upgrading it and didn't care about the extra gear or the brakes than I would definately go with a standard WRX over a STi.

Personally I would have sprung for some options on the TR, or gotten the regular WRX but I'm not sure what kind of money you paid for this thing.

Where in New Jersey are you. New Jersey Impreza Club is the site I'm a part of and there's a ton of North Jersey guys there.

I just got finished putting an upgraded port and polished td04 on my car and an upgraded TMIC. I also just got my ECU back from Cobb since I had a low voltage error, because my battery was low, when flashing the ECU and had a problem so I had to send it out.

Once my build up is done, which should be relatively soon - for the large parts, I'm going to start attending more meets and stuff.

I just need my pulleys in, port and polished throttle body and intake manifold and tumble valve deletes before I go in for a protune and make some good power. The power I'm going to make is easily obtainable for you in a Stage 2 '06 WRX. I have a '02 with the 2.0L block and no where near as much torque. :( I'm so jealous of you.

Im way south...down like 1/2 an hour south of Atlantic City..right outside of Ocean City. Id be up for comming to a meet if it was possibly in central jersey somewhere.

Im going to check that club out.
Im actually on the site now, Im already liking the classifieds.
Im not looking to go crazy with the car, I know there isnt any AWD dynos around here so Im not looking to get anything Id need to get protuned.
But i know eventually Im going to upgrade something and Im going to need to get it tuned.

The brakes on mine arnt too bad..its got 4 piston calipers up front and 2 piston calipers in the rear. I just kind of wish it had that 6th gear. I know cruising on the parkway at 70mph is putting me right at like 2500-3000...right where she starts building up some good boost, but I have no problems passing cars in 5th lol.

Yes the 4pot/2pots are nice, they used to only be JDM. I unfortunately don't have those brakes, but opted for slotted rotors, upgraded pads, fluid and stainless steel brake lines.

I won't go with powerslot rotors again, however, considering the rotors get surface rust on the face within a day of not driving. Next time I guess I'll just go with brembo blanks but these powerslots have less than 1000miles I believe.

The 4pots/2pots are still nothing compared to the brembos but they are good brakes.

The extra gear would be nice, but the 6speed is also so desireable because of its strength.

Get a kartboy short shifter in that car asap. Get the front and rear bushings and a shift lever bushing as well and the car will shift so much smoother. Infact, I bought my car with the kartboy shifter in and I know they did one bushing but I'm not sure if they did both so I may just buy new bushings all around. I bought a whiteline steering rack bushing to help with some of the stock sloppiness in the steering wheel as well.

I saw your post on njic.com

Welcome to NASIOC.com - North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club - News has a good tri-state area clasified even though its not huge its far bigger than njic, but everyone is so tight in njic.

I go to nasioc.com for knowledge from some serious experts like Uncle Scotty (who has a '06 TR now and created whats known as the "uncle scotty"s cocktail" which is a transmission fluid cocktail that basically solves all the old subaru tranny problems - good guy and a genius, but terrible at typing :p)

Oh by the way, a protune isn't a dyno tune - so no need to worry about an awd dyno. Its what most honda boys call a street tune. XX Tuning in CT is where to go for your subaru dyno tuning needs.

Is the 6psd tranny a direct swap over to the new WRX's that come with the 2.5's? If so, that may be something to consider. :D

HatchSpeeD said:
Is the 6psd tranny a direct swap over to the new WRX's that come with the 2.5's? If so, that may be something to consider. :D

I'm not sure if it is, it probably is considering the block is the same with a very slight difference in the pistons but its also $4,500 for a USDM 6speed tranny. ;)

Back