Got a question about my truck...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dustin_m

First off i posted this in the Member's Lounge because it has absolutely nothing to do with a Honda, but I need to get some help with it.

Well as some here may know i bought a '71 Chevy pickup about a month ago. Well it smokes like hell but does run good. The only problem i am having is that when i park it and don't turn it on for a while, it won't start. I replaced the battery, and had the alternator checked and it's working fine. I am led to believe that there are some wires crossing somewhere or something. I was just wondering if anyone else on here that has messed with older cars has ran into this problem, and what would be your next step.

Also, i figured out that i had been leaving the ignition on Acc., but i started it and let it charge come then turned it Off. Still won't start. And when i first bought it, the guy that sold it to me was saying i should check out the voltage regulator. would this have anything to do with not starting??

Re-wire the thing there it is a 71 pre-emissions standards truck, it will take you a day to completly rewire the whole thing. Just look at what the current wire guages are and replace them, it is nothing like rewiring a honda, just go one wire at a time. :)

auto?...my gear selector switch in my 71 ford dosnt catch right all the time...esp when its cold
edit: is it cranking or just dead?

It could be the voltage regulator, it could be the dome light switch, could be a bunch of things... Usually a voltage regulator is internal to the alternator, but on a 71 Chevy, it might be mounted on the firewall... chase the wiring from the alternator, and if you see a little box somewhere that plugs into the alternator, thats your voltage regulator...

Also, do you have a good ground for your battery? If the grounds aren't good, it could be causing a drain.

the voltage regulator is actually in the front of the engine bay next to the headlights.

And you said it could be the dome light switch?? the light works, but your saying it could still be crossing inside?

about how much is a voltage regulator?

Oh, and i dont want to rewire becuase when i rebuild the motor i hope to buy a new wiring harness

Back