Got a question for the VAFC users.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

xj0hnx

I wanna be sedated
VIP
I put my VAFC in this last weekend, and everything went very well as far as install, and function afterwards. Today I was driving on the autobahn and at about 115mph my CEL comes on and the car started feeling kind of sluggish in the mid to upper RPM range. I hit 5500 rpms and it (CEL) came on. I had bumped the fuel up a small bit around there, and reset the vtec engagment back to 5500 from the 5800 the VAFC defaulted at. Other than that I haven't messed with it till I can get to the dyno. Anyway, I couldn't pull a code since the CEL went away after a turned off the car, and restarted it. I set everything back to default for now, but does anyone have an idea of what happened? Is it i glitch with the cars systems? And what the hell is the VTM wire for (I have yet to find an answer for this one)?

Just incase you don't know, or the screen name doesn't give it away, I have a 92 VX with a 93 B16A2, have driven it a couple thousand miles no problems.

my car used to do that sometimes, i think it was an 02 sensor. but i could never find out because when i would turn off the car it would go away. is this the first time it has happened?

Yes it is the first time, but I have only had in in for a few days. Did you have the VTM wire connected?

if the VTM is the blue wire, thats the one for the o2 reading, and is not necessary to be hooked up

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Aug 21 2003, 02:13 PM
if the VTM is the blue wire, thats the one for the o2 reading, and is not necessary to be hooked up

It is, and I didn't :)

Ok, this is annoying, everytime I hit 5500, in 5th (no other gear) and 100mph, the CEL comes on, and vtec won't engage in any gear, even if I stop and then accelerate again. I have to turn the car off, then the CEL is gone and vtec is back. No ideas?

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Aug 21 2003, 02:13 PM

Damn it, spent the five minutes to pull out the ECU and hook up the VTM, and guess what? 120Mph and no CEL.

Originally posted by Calesta@Oct 1 2003, 12:10 AM
Nice. So did you just bypass the VTM? I know that mine's not hooked up.

Well the VAFC I guess bypass's it. You take D6 (vtec pressure) and splice it into the blue VTM wire, so the ECU is running it straight in the VAFC with no out for it.

Oh I see. No biggie. But it's not hooked up now, even after the VAFC has been removed.

Back