Got in a Car accident - Opinions wanted on how to handle this.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

New Jersey has all sorts of fucked up laws about who does the repair. Do more research than hondaswap on this one.

New Jersey has all sorts of fucked up laws about who does the repair. Do more research than hondaswap on this one.

Well . . the accident happened in NYC and my car is registered in MA (I still have an MA licence).

Why would NJ apply?

Just sayin. thought you moved everything to NJ.

Massachussetts is another one of those fucked up states too. You may have specific requirements of who fixes it in Assachussetts as well.

Here is a hint to the situation: Again, a rule of thumb. If you drive around and see NO BODY REPAIR SHOPS, or if you find none in the yellow pages - chances are the insurer will make you go somewhere specific. Body shops are a tough business, and if Insurance isn't going to be nice to you, you can't survive.

Just a rule of thumb.

did you put Sylvia on the police report or 240SX? When I got hit in my Micra the police report was a fucking nightmare. I forgot if your car even has Sylvia markings.

did you put Sylvia on the police report or 240SX? When I got hit in my Micra the police report was a fucking nightmare. I forgot if your car even has Sylvia markings.

If you were hit, then this should be a non-issue. The insurance company is required to compensate you for the damages which would include modifications to the car.

Here's where it changes up. When you hit someone and have your insurance cover the damage to your modified car, they'll only pay up to the value of the stock parts because thats what was insured. If you go through your own insurance you have to have declared a specific value to your car and pay extra per month to have those additional modifications covered by your insurance company.

If YOU were HIT, then the insurance company pays out including your swapped motor, etc., etc. Receipts or atleast print outs of MSRP and listings from parts distributors would more than likely need to be presented to the other person's insurance company. If they try to only cover the stock value of your car, then you're getting the shaft and can sue.

The key phrase here being an insurance company must make you "whole" again.

Well . . . after the cop turns in the police report, i will be on my way to becoming whole again ;)

Celerity - i put that it was a nissan 240sx which was damaged.

Celerity - i put that it was a nissan 240sx which was damaged.

Yeah, I just forgot whether you had Silvia badging. My old work building reported that a car had it's light on ... a "Blue Honda Celerity"

Turbo-N-Auto may understand why.

The Celerity letters are now being affixed to the ultimate NX project. With the body mods in mind, All but the hardcore enthusiasts will think it's called a Celerity.

Quick Update.

I got a copy of the police report. It states things exactly as I have described to you all here. This is a major plus.

Geico sent an adjuster out to see the vehicle today. The guy estimated around a 3k payment if it is determined (by Geico) that I was not at fault.

Issue: The hood will need to be hammered out and re-painted, which will mean re-painting the fenders as well to blend the front end. I dont want this to happen because it will mean my paint will not match.

I was thinking that a Carbon Fiber hood (stock style) would cost around the same as having the car's front end repainted entirely, plus it would allow me to retain OEM original paint on the entire car(except the bumper). What do you all think?

Thanks again for the advice.

It doesn't matter if you get a quote from a high end shop of $2000.00 If a geico adjuster says the job on AVG will only cost $1500.00 then you're pretty much stuck at that # unless the body shop can explain why it is they need $500.00 more to do the repair when the other 20 shops on geicos local list can do it for $1500.00
If you nag long enough you might beable to get them to meet you half way. $1750. MIGHT.

Insurance companies have their shit down, they know what it cost to fix what and fighting them while not imposable, it can be very hard and a long trip.

Quick Update.

I got a copy of the police report. It states things exactly as I have described to you all here. This is a major plus.

Geico sent an adjuster out to see the vehicle today. The guy estimated around a 3k payment if it is determined (by Geico) that I was not at fault.

Issue: The hood will need to be hammered out and re-painted, which will mean re-painting the fenders as well to blend the front end. I dont want this to happen because it will mean my paint will not match.

I was thinking that a Carbon Fiber hood (stock style) would cost around the same as having the car's front end repainted entirely, plus it would allow me to retain OEM original paint on the entire car(except the bumper). What do you all think?

Thanks again for the advice.

Listen, if they paint the car - and its a good shop - it will match and you won't even be able to tell. I don't know what you're worrying about, this isn't 1980 or 1950.

Also you should be able to get a carbon fiber hood for cheaper than an OEM hood alone, forgetting about the cost of paint entirely. My OEM hood was like $750 and my Seibon carbon fiber hood, in which I have not found any defects which is amazing, was $480 shipped to my door.

Where did u order that hood from?

Chris at CVR Motorsports. He's helped me with a lot of things and will match prices, but he usually has the best prices on everything hands down.

He's a sponsored vendor on Welcome to NASIOC.com - North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club - News, the national subaru board and I figured I'd support a vendor.

They drop ship the hoods so there's less back end and they can keep the prices cheaper, but it came extremely fast and was flawless.

CVR Motorsports

Update - Got an adjustment from a gieco rep.

The damage to my vehicle has been estimated (by Geico) at $2404.84

No check yet tho - they are still waiting to hear back from the girl who it me . . . this is taking forever.

I got rear ended in my integra about a year ago, guy didn't hit me all that hard there was a tiny crease in the bumper cover and a little mark from the screw in his license plate you can't see the damage unless you look really hard at a certain angle. I took it to an expensive body shop they quoted me something like 870. Insurance company wrote me a check and I used it to rebuild my motor.

So you frauded the insurance company. You do know that several users here are in Insurance Investigation, yes ?

well they can go ahead and investigate me I'm not worried about it

So you frauded the insurance company. You do know that several users here are in Insurance Investigation, yes ?

Uh, Cel -> you = off your damn rocker.

What he did *IS NOT* considered fraud.

He is not obligated to take the check and spend it on the repairs. The insurance company made him "whole", which is why I so greatly emphasized this point before.

The insurance company is obligated to compensate in a manner by which the original state of value is "restored". If the car is in brand new condition, the insurance company is required to restore it to this condition - so the car has the "same" value as before the accident. Whatever amount of monies it takes to accomplish this restoration is the amount that the insurance company needs to make a person "whole". If there's $3000dollars worth of damage, an insurance company must pay that $3000/damage to the person in question.

This person can keep his car with $3000 damage and spend the money on crack if he'd like, because he's made whole now. Thats his money, just as the value of the car is his and he could have taken his hood off and sold it if he'd like.

Now he can't take that $3000 spend it on something else, and then say that the repair to his car cost $4000 and he needs another $1000 UNLESS he can produce a receipt documenting why there's an extra $1000 necessary.

Fraud would be claiming that there's damage to the car where there's really no damage and having an insurance adjuster or bodyshop play along with this claim and write an estimate for a repair thats not needed.
I.e., the radiator actually works, but slipping the insurance adjuster $100 to say its broken.

Fraud would be claiming that prior damage just occured during the current accident, causing the insurance company to pay for damage that their client did not cause. I.e., telling them yeah that hit to the engine bay made my transmission grind, when your transmission was grinding prior to the accident.

I don't know where you get your false idea of fraud from, Celerity, but no fraud occurs when you take your car to a pricey shop and the insurance company makes the settlement and deems that estimate acceptable. The insurance company has a right to refuse the estimate and send an adjuster out if the estimate is unacceptable. They didn't exercise that right.

Back