got my 401K today!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Capt. Orygun

Win the Day
it was so much fun, I put most of my money into Health care/pharmaceutical investments (targeting the baby boomers). I put large percentages into developing economies and information technology, and finally balanced it out with some energy & real estate funds.

Well guru's, how did I do?

health care is a poor investment IMO. it hasn't been profitable in years.

dev ec is ok, but risky... depends where it actually goes. china, etc are booming, but the dollar goes almost too far there.

it, depends where. some are doomed, some are soaring

energy is dive bombing due to oil price cuts

real estate is flat lined.

i'd say you didn't do that great-- at least as it looks right now.
tomorrow, that can all change.

health care is a poor investment IMO. it hasn't been profitable in years.

dev ec is ok, but risky... depends where it actually goes. china, etc are booming, but the dollar goes almost too far there.

it, depends where. some are doomed, some are soaring

energy is dive bombing due to oil price cuts

real estate is flat lined.

i'd say you didn't do that great-- at least as it looks right now.
tomorrow, that can all change.

Blah

Real Estate does two things, it goes up or it stays the same, it's safe

Health Care and Pharmaceuticals will explode in the next 20 years. Do the math, when the Boomers were 0-3 years old Gerber exploded, Schwinn bicycles followed, then apartments and condos exploded in the mid-late 70's, in the mid 80's the mini van became popular. The lesson is if the boomers need it there is money to be made. If I could find a mutual fund that invested in funeral homes and embalming fluid I'd be all over it

oil WILL go up agians lol, trust me

If we elect a Dem president who's anti free trade (see clinton), then I may re-evaluate my stance on developing economies, for now it's a good risk IMO

but I'm looking for more ideas so what DO you like?

Health Care and Pharmaceuticals will explode in the next 20 years. Do the math, when the Boomers were 0-3 years old Gerber exploded, Schwinn bicycles followed, then apartments and condos exploded in the mid-late 70's, in the mid 80's the mini van became popular.
the one fault with your thinking here is that the gov't didn't pay for the baby food, the bikes, the apts, or their mini vans. medicare/caid will be paying a good portion of the pharm's for the older folks though, and gov't stipends are rarely profitable.

What do i like? Futures.

i'm with b on this one. you don't have any government securities at all. real estate isn't a sure thing anymore. it actually never was.

you also don't have any foreign funds investments.

cel is right though, at least you are doing something.

how much do they match and how much are you contributing. what company and funds are you with? i think this is a good post for SavingsTalk.com

Real Estate does two things, it goes up or it stays the same, it's safe
its definately not safe, especially now that the housing market is leveling off, i expect to see a sharp decline in the housing market in the next year, could be sooner depending on what the fed does with interest rates...
you'll also notice there's a whole lot more foreclosures coming onto the market as of recent...
not a good sign as far as RE investment is concerned

it was so much fun, I put most of my money into Health care/pharmaceutical investments (targeting the baby boomers). I put large percentages into developing economies and information technology, and finally balanced it out with some energy & real estate funds.

Well guru's, how did I do?
these all seem like high risk/high growth investments
which i suppose is a strong strategy for a young investor, i still would have diversified a bit more into something with a solid base, lower risk/mid yield

Back