Got my first guitar today

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

So, i have fairly good sized hands for someone my size. I can nearly palm a basketball.

For god's sake, playing frets such as 1/3 or 2/4, using my index and ring finger, i just can't stretch my ring finger. Maybe my fingers were jammed too many times from basketball or bjj, but damn, i just can't get the notes.

And playing the B/E strings is tough as shit. I just can't seem to nail them to the frets good enough to not sound like shit.

takes time man. When i first started, i couldn't do the power chord shape easily either. i cheated with my pinky for a long time. Now, i can span that gap with my index and ring finger, on a 26.5" scale guitar (7 string).

If you're struggling with the stretch, way down low, you can practice the same positioning up higher on the neck, where the frets are closer together.
Make a practice plan that works the stretch. start high, and walk down the neck, eg:

string5 -----14-------13-----------12 .... ------3--------2--
string6 -12------11---------10------- .... 1---------0-----

If I span out both my hands i have a 2 inch reach advantage on my left hand over my right end to end.

exercise, warm up, and stretching is key to limber up. improper stretching can damage ligaments.

to get the strings to not sound like shit, you need to press hard JUST before the actual fret. if you get too far away from the fret bar itself, it will be harder to play. Make sur eyou're hitting the string on the fat of your finger just below the nail. you should not be using your 'fingerprint' area part of your finger. it's higher than that. if you have long finger nails, it makes it super hard. keep 'em trim.

I've been using a pick with this electric guitar. The app I'm using has been fun to work with, but it's slow. I also don't have my own private space to practice. I have my headphones and Vox plug in, which has been great.

I also need to get better at holding the guitar. I feel like it's going to fall out of my left hand.

your left hand should not be holding it up. do you have a strap? your leg and right arm should hold it in place on your lap/stomach if standing.

most music you will use a pick for. fingerstyle is much more difficult anyway.

we should do Ghangouts lessons or something :)

your left hand should not be holding it up. do you have a strap? your leg and right arm should hold it in place on your lap/stomach if standing.

most music you will use a pick for. fingerstyle is much more difficult anyway.

we should do Ghangouts lessons or something :)

Yep, have a strap. I have just been playing sitting down.I think i haven't been holding the guitar perfectly upright.

And i'll definitely do a ghangout when i get a little more competent. I'm still not even playing the notes cleanly. lol

press hard
roll your hand up and around, not flat. if your skin under your nails doesn't turn white from the pressure, you're not pushing hard enough.
being a used guitar, it may have very old strings on it which are harder to play. you might consider changing them.

l2QZOXIgWM7ils880.gif

:lmao:

yeah...life...

there's a trick to gettign it out. first shake every time. line it up and flip it as fast as you can so it drops, not turns inside

Basketball & BJJ ... I imagine that would make a mess of your hands over time. Def. takes some time to build up the hand strength.

Basketball & BJJ ... I imagine that would make a mess of your hands over time. Def. takes some time to build up the hand strength.

Yep, i've got some awful knuckles.

so when are we g hanging out and playing come as you are? :)

I haven't touched my guitar in 3 weeks. This house buying process has been taking up all of my time. ugh.

how's the playing coming nick?

I'm an expert at staring at my guitar every time I walk by it. I've traveled more for work in the last two months than i have in the last two years. Getting the house finished took most of my time. I'm finally starting to breath. I have more excuses than I have hours playing tunes.

Ugh, you're doing great at unintentionally making me feel guilty about not playing. :(

Back