Got my job offer today

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Celerity

I'll be flat out. I make $20 an hour with no benefits. Hey, I needed the job. I get paid hourly, I like the company (T-shirt and jeans) and the work is comfortable. Not too many challenges but plenty of places to go in the company.

So last night I had to put the pressure on them about the permanent hire. On the way out, we talked and at the end I was asked what my first offer is:

"Twenty Two"

"Oh.. well.. Don't sell yourself short"

Ok, so I go home and tonight on my way out They give me the offer. She walks into the boardroom with a big smile on her face and she says "I really think you're going to like what we worked out.."

I opened the folder and looked - astonished. $26...... Thousand a year.

"When I said twenty two.. I meant hourly. I can't even live on this so when I say no, I'm not surpressing my laughter - I seriously can't live on that. I make that doing my side work as an autobody tech."

Without skipping a beat "Well, if you work here permanently you'll need to drop that job"

The extras: 100% health coverage. lots of vacation time (2 weeks a year), profit sharing that could be over $1000 easily and I can work in either CT or NC for the same pay.

So yeah, 18 years experience, project management, server side NT admin and Lotus Notes admin. Desktop support. $12.50 an hour.

so, i make more than you with no college degree, and less experience in the 'working world'?!?! wow... go B cups.

thats pathetic. i'd go work at home depot for more money....

i'd rather collect than make less than 20 an hour

Fuck that shit. And don't quit your Autobody side job. If you're making $20 an hour right now, then why on Earth would they offer you almost half that for a full time position?

Fuck that, if you work part time for $20/hr and they offer you full time work it's cause they think your worth more then $20/hr. They're trying to feel you out. Do the math at $22/hr and figure out what it comes to a year, then tell then you want $6000 more then that number a year. The reason they said 24K is because they thought u meant 22K. And she was smiling cause she thought you would jump on it and she would look great to her bosses buy getting you for so little. Just explain u meant $22/hr, tell them what you do want, and IF you feel like they view you as an asset hit them with this:

"Your not just getting an employee, how much am I worth to you?"

I know a guy who doubled his salary with that sentence,

Yeah, I'll negotiate that. I'm a Consultant for the past 9 years. I can handle that.

I have a job waiting for me right now at $40 an hour, so fuck em. This was just the job that I wanted.

ALSO: I work in WinK03, dorkus maximus. I'm an Exchange 2003 admin too with lots of Engineer project work too.

nice. we just finished a citrix server upgrade, with mega excel and acrobat issues. stupid navint consulting... we basically came in and levelled their job, and restored the whole server.

26K in NC would probably be comparable to 50K in CT...
i think...

i also think NC has almost non existent taxes...

why are you fucking around with 20 an hour when you have an offer for 40?
that makes no god damn sense...

30K = about 14 an hour...
26K = 12-13 ish?

and my friend who doesn't even have a fucking HS diploma or GED is netting almost 40K for 2004 with 2 MONTHS of not working at that job... wtf?

and they want to drop you from 20 hourly to 26K SALARY????
fuck that shit...
unless salary = 20 hours a week, in which case its cool...

I looked into it and did the math. Even down in North Carolina $26k is shit pay. NC is cheaper than CT, but you can't say it's half the price. Houses are half the cost, but gas and food and other living expenses are about a few pennies less here and there.

In CT I can make $25 at a permanent job that I enjoy and doesn't kill me. But a house alone costs a TON of money so developing in CT makes less and less sense.

I like North Carolina, and I can come to work here in CT at any time (Like spend time with family and friends during the year). I would no longer have a winter car, which would be odd. But I also wouldn't have $300 a month heating bills. CT weather in the summer is hot because of it's stupid levels of humidity, but I'm not sure if I could take the South for it's weather either. The two areas are a 12 hour ride each way.

I dunno, still thinking.

Back