Got my new cams in!!! Fast as F***

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Iquark

Well, after some work on the valve timing, I finally got the car running, and WOW!!! I just put in CTR cams, with no valve train upgrades, and it scared the crap out of me! I took it out to the back roads and did my "Road Course" and was amazed at the quickness. I can't believe what a set of Jun cams would do, and I don't know if I even want to know... Well, maybe I do... Anyways, just to let everyone know, if you have a B18C, the upgrade from B16 cams to CTR cams is definitely worth it. I can't wait for the track to open up so I can get some times, I've never gone yet... I'm thinking that a Skunk2 IM would be a great addition to the cams, and will definitely be saving up some money for that, some dyno time, and some cam gears. I know I still don't have the valve timing right, and probably with some work, it'd even be quicker!!!

Ian

damn! thats pretty damn cheap!!

i need to find some of those, instrad of waiting to save 1500ish for skunk 2 stage 2's(with springs, retainers, and so on)

Ya, in regards to the Skunk2's, I thought about what I wanted out of the car, and decided that The midrange power of the CTRs was what I'd use most, if you think about it, if you're always going to redline and don't care about anything below vtec, the skunk2s make sense because of the wild vtec lobes, and stock off vtec lobes. However, if you use the car as a dailly driver, then the great midrange of the ctrs make sense. It all depends on what you want, plus, the gains compared the price on the CTRs can't really be beaten. The only downside though is that I am again addicted to power... too bad.

Ian

Comp Cams street cams, the stage 1s or 2s should have been anotehr choiuce you considered... they made 22 extra HP int he mid range, and I think 17 on top end. :p

Stage 2's RAWK.

so, was it the cam timing that was your problem in your gen tech post? glad to hear you got everything running ok. i'm using ctr's in my b16 right now, good lil power adders :)

Originally posted by B16@Feb 10 2004, 10:12 AM
so, was it the cam timing that was your problem in your gen tech post? glad to hear you got everything running ok. i'm using ctr's in my b16 right now, good lil power adders :)

Ya it was the cam timing, I was being stupid about TDC, for some reason I forgot about the crank pully notches, it made everything so much easier. I know I'm still off by 3 or 4 degrees, and I can't wait fot he dyno and cam gears... The weird thing is that I have more valve noise now, I don't know what exactly it's from, I think I'll readjust the valves just to make sure they're in spec.

Back